Exercising at night

Options
ICanDoItWithStyle
ICanDoItWithStyle Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi honestly, I don't have much of a social life. I have a desk job where my fingers seemed to be magnetized to a keyboard along with my butt for most of the day. Nearly everyday I would eat breakfast and lunch at my desk because I bring my own packed meals to save money. After work I usually rush home to have dinner with my father. He's retired and we're just a father daughter family that live together. Though he is away at his girlfriend's place for half the week so whenever he's home we try to dinner together. Then about 2hrs after dinner ( 9:00 pm.) I would head out to the gym until closing time ( 10:00 pm. ) I know it's better to exercise early in the day but this is truly the only time that I have to exercise to get to my goal weight! I'm not a morning person and if I could, I would spend a whole day reading in bed. I've only just got my gym membership 2 weeks ago but I'm determined to loose my belly fat. I want to feel better about myself and my body and 2 weeks ago I could barely fit into my jeans. I really felt like crying. It's so frustrating not to be able to fit into something that was once loose on you. But now after two weeks I've lost 1.4 kilograms! Loosing weight is so much harder than putting the pounds on! I used to be slim when I was 16 but now is a whole-nother story! This app has really helped me to keep track of my diet but my metabolism seems to need the exercise to loose the weight. Can anyone please advise me on exercising at night? I usually do 30mins of cardio and 25mins of weights and 5mins of stretching. When I get back home I'm just slightly hungry so I'd have a glass of fruit juice. Goal: I want to look and feel amazing in a tank top or bikini so that guys will turn and stare in rapture at my gorgeous self... And maybe ask me out for a date?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If exercising at night is what works for you, then that is the best time - for you - to exercise.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Time of day for exercise really doesn't make any difference. I've always worked out in the evening.
    You don't necessarily need exercise to lose weight as long as you're eating in a deficit, but it can help create a larger deficit/allow you to eat more. (There are plenty of other health benefits that come from regular exercise.)
    I would recommend a post workout snack that has some protein, rather than just fruit juice.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is whenever you will actually do it! I work out in the evenings as well...it works well with my schedule and like you, it's a social outlet for me. You are off to a great start!
  • ICanDoItWithStyle
    Options
    Thank you! I heard from a trainer at the gym that I go to that, "Your body's metabolism burns more calories during the day or early mornings so it's better to get your exercise in the mornings." I hope that I'm not doing things wrong by exercising late at night.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ditto--also a member of the "exercises at night" club. The best time for me to fit in a good workout. Works for me!
  • ICanDoItWithStyle
    Options
    Ok! A recommendation of some protein or dairy would be better? So would a box of soy milk after a night's workout be affective?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've worked out in the morning and in the evenings. My weight loss trend didn't shift at all from when I switched from early morning (6ish am) to evenings (always after 5pm). I now exclusively workout in the evenings because that's when my schedule permits. I'm also honest enough with myself to admit that I no longer want to wake up at 6am to workout.

The ideal time to workout is when you can get it in.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by exercising early in the morning and then late at night so they keep their metabolism going all day long. I have my doubts about whether it make weight loss easier, but it probably helps their attitude.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am the least morning-y person ever, so despite my best efforts, exercising in the morning never seems to work out for me (pun intended :smile: ) I work out 6 times a week, always after work and don't seem to have a problem with sleep or consistency. In fact, when I do manage to drag myself out of bed at 4 am to work out before work, I find that it really ramps up my appetite during the day and actually makes it more of a struggle to stay in my calorie allowance. So really morning exercise is sometimes worse for me!

Do what works for you and good luck, you can totally do this!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Ok! A recommendation of some protein or dairy would be better? So would a box of soy milk after a night's workout be affective?

Better than juice, but not as good a milk. You want the dairy proteins - Whey and Casein specifically. Soy milk has soy protein, which is good also, but not quite as good as milk. Plus, it has phytoestrogen if you care about that.

Here is a good article if you want more info on the types of protein - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    always workout at night. I don't get enough sleep as it is so getting up earlier to workout is painful. I'd like to also do a morning workout but sleep always wins. As others have said I'd probably swap the juice for some protein but really sounds like you're doing great - keep it up!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Another nighttime exerciser here. I'm not a morning person and I find that if I force myself, I just don't put as much in to it. And then I feel tired all day. Exercising after work does not seem to have hurt my progress at all.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've done both. In the beginning, I made better food choices when I worked out first thing in the morning.
    I do prefer mornings because I feel better through out the day - more awake, etc. But right now, evenings work better for my life. All that matters is they get in.

I have read that a serving of chocolate milk is one of the perfect recovery snacks. I can't comment on the efficacy, as my evening snack is usually popcorn or a serving of ice cream, but that's what I have read in the past.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

How many grams of protein are you currently consuming per day? Women tend to be low in protein.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am a late evening exerciser too for the most part as I just can't make myself get up early enough for more than the last-minute dash off to work. Probably because I can't seem to make myself go to bed early enough. But if you feel a bit of morning exercise will help your day, try the one-mile walk workout with Leslie Sansone on Youtube. It's only about 15 minutes, and could be fit into a morning routine before you head off to work. While at work, if you have stairs, use them instead of elevators. For breaks, take short walks, even if indoors. Maybe up and down those stairs, or back and forth in hallways. You say you eat lunch at your desk-eat it then go for a 15 minute walk too. Don't forget to do some stretches while at your desk, taking a few minutes to do some stretches helps get your blood flowing!! And maybe, if your'e even more dedicated to increasing your metabolism and exercise, take resistance bands or hand weights (or even large bottles of water) to work, keep them under your desk, and use them periodically during the day while sitting to do some arm exercises. Be creative while at work to squeeze in a few minutes here and there, it will help!
  • ICanDoItWithStyle
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

Better than juice, but not as good a milk. You want the dairy proteins - Whey and Casein specifically. Soy milk has soy protein, which is good also, but not quite as good as milk. Plus, it has phytoestrogen if you care about that.

Here is a good article if you want more info on the types of protein - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html/

Thank you very much for your information! Since my father is older we don't have or eat a lot of dairy protein. His diet is mostly seafood and a bit of chicken and so is my'n. I will try to eat more protein and dairy as the nutrients are needed to build muscle tissues that will help burn the fat. :)
  • ICanDoItWithStyle
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ok! A recommendation of some protein or dairy would be better...

How many grams of protein are you currently consuming per day? Women tend to be low in protein.

I have about 100 grams more or less a day but usually less. Is that enough?