Plus size women involved Jiu-jitsu?

Options
My 9 year old girl is a bad *kitten* and is heavily involved with her youth wrestling team as well as BJJ and Judo. I decided that I am tired of being one of those moms who just sit on the sidelines (my kid stays for adult class) so I got on the mat. I am new but I know a few moves from watching classes over the years. I am a big gal (2x) and I am looking for other big gals to help encourage each other as we become healthier using BJJ as part of our exercise program (i lift weights, hike, elliptical, and run as well). I am also a multiple womens arm wrestling champion and enjoy breaking arms that way too

Replies

• MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here is me with my latest arm wrestling trophy l2xi44ccqca0.jpg
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Welcome to the mats! I started in August but wasn't able to go consistently at first. I'm fixing that now as much as I can and really starting to enjoy it. I don't know where you're located but look up "Girls in Gi's" and see if there is a chapter near you. I just went to an event this last Sunday and it was pretty awesome! It's all women doing BJJ and they hold events in many states. I'm lucky because they officially opened a chapter here with the event I went to so I can expect more of them. I'm also lucky because I have three daughters so I bring my own women's team whenever I go to class. :smiley:

I'm not quite plus sized anymore but I do still need to lose about 45-50 pounds (depending on where I decide I'm happy. I'm not sacrificing my muscles for a number on the scale!) I look forward to shedding the rest of the weight because I think rolling will be a lot easier when I can fold in half without feeling like I'm suffocating on my own belly. :pensive: But until then, I'll keep working on it, learning and having fun!

ETA: I'm 46
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 2015 and I wish I started BJJ then. I am convinced I wouldn't have gained mots of that weight back.
    I recently had a hysterectomy and my gi bottoms were too tight so I feel super sore near one of my incision sites. Yikes!
    My daughter is a total bad *kitten* and is on the mats 5-6 days a week between wrestling and BJJ.
    Thanks for the information! I will definitely check it out. I am sending you a FB request.
    I am also starting Judo on Friday. I LOVE takedowns!!!
    Here is a pic of my lil badass!cwgbj8h92mck.jpg
  • knittnponder
    Options
    I would love to be able to do Judo! It's not in our budget right now though so I'll stick with BJJ, Kickboxing and my weightlifting. We did TaeKwondo for about three years and I was almost to my brown belt but our school closed. :( Kickboxing at least lets me kick and punch things again lol. My oldest daughter is 22 and sounds a lot like yours. She eats, sleeps and breathes BJJ and our professor just loves her. He says she's a prodigy and I think he dreams about training her to fight MMA. I think she dreams about doing it so we'll see what happens as she moves along.

I have regrets about things I could have done differently too but there is not point in wasting my energy on lamenting that so I'll keep looking forward. I'm going to try really hard to get this 40 pounds off so rolling will be easier and more fun! Plus I need to be healthy and looking good wouldn't make me sad. ;) My women's coach posted a video yesterday of 68 and 72 year old women training so there is hope for us! We can do this and enjoy all the things we'll learn along the way!
  • HikeItBikeItLikeIt
    Options
    After I have my baby I plan to do BJJ or kickboxing. I think it'll be a great way and motivation to lose weight and it'll be something I will actually want to do and keep at it!
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    Options
    I would love to be able to do Judo! It's not in our budget right now though so I'll stick with BJJ, Kickboxing and my weightlifting. We did TaeKwondo for about three years and I was almost to my brown belt but our school closed. :( Kickboxing at least lets me kick and punch things again lol. My oldest daughter is 22 and sounds a lot like yours. She eats, sleeps and breathes BJJ and our professor just loves her. He says she's a prodigy and I think he dreams about training her to fight MMA. I think she dreams about doing it so we'll see what happens as she moves along.

I have regrets about things I could have done differently too but there is not point in wasting my energy on lamenting that so I'll keep looking forward. I'm going to try really hard to get this 40 pounds off so rolling will be easier and more fun! Plus I need to be healthy and looking good wouldn't make me sad. ;) My women's coach posted a video yesterday of 68 and 72 year old women training so there is hope for us! We can do this and enjoy all the things we'll learn along the way!

My husband is a retired pro kick boxer. His pro record is 27-1
  • knittnponder
    Options

My husband is a retired pro kick boxer. His pro record is 27-1

That is totally awesome!

• dreamer0716
    dreamer0716 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been doing BJJ for two years!! And I love it ♥️ I'm looking for other women who do it too!