Cooking Challenge: Artichoke

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-ninth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from tanyaMax, the winner of the eggplant cooking challenge.

artichoke-yay.jpg

This week's challenge is ARTICHOKE.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday July 23rd at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    bump. i have no idea how to make artichoke i would like like to get some ideas.
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Darn, I'll be out of town -- otherwise I would play. I have an awesome recipe that I've made twice this summer already. :grumble:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    I've never had an artichoke that wasn't in a dip and that hadn't been canned, so I'm looking forward to seeing some new recipes to try!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Decided I'm going to play after all, because like I said, I have made this twice so far this summer!

From Prevention Magazine; Artichokes with Lemony Dressing:

INGREDIENTS
    Serves: Prep: 20min Cook: 20min Total: 40min
    4 artichokes
    1/4 C olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp fresh thyme
    DIRECTIONS
    Remove stems from artichokes. With scissors, trim 1" from leaves. Stand artichokes upright in steamer pot with water. Cover and steam until done, 15 to 20 minutes. (To test, lift an artichoke by one outside leaf. It should pull out easily.) Whisk together oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme. Put artichokes on plates. Gently spread leaves and drizzle dressing over them.

NUTRITIONAL FACTS PER SERVING
    CALORIES 129 CAL
    FAT 5.5 G
    SATURATED FAT 0.8 G
    SODIUM 366.9 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 18.9 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 3.6 G
    DIETARY FIBER 10.8 G
    PROTEIN 3.9 G
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Please do share when u get back :0)
    Darn, I'll be out of town -- otherwise I would play. I have an awesome recipe that I've made twice this summer already. :grumble:

Just noticed that you shared :0) yum! Thanx
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I too am looking forward to recipes as I have none for artichokes. :-)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    How do YOU prepare your artichoke?
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    bump. i have no idea how to make artichoke i would like like to get some ideas.
    Ditto!
  • skyisthelimit25
    Options
    i coincidentally made artichokes tonight (for the first time) before having read this post! i never cooked fresh artichokes before, so i looked for ideas on youtube! after watching a couple videoes, i realized it's all fairly straightforward. here's what i did:

NAME OF RECIPE: plain baby artichokes!

INGREDIENTS: artichokes, salt

DIRECTIONS: cut the stem, leaving about 1/2 and inch or so. and cut the tip a wee bit so that the leaves can breathe a little. pull off a few of the discoloured, outer leaves. i plopped the full artichokes over salted,boiling water for for 25-30 mins (i steamed them). that was all i did! when they came out, i just spread the leaves out, put some salt on them, and ate them like that!

CALORIES PER SERVING: one regular-sized artichoke is roughly 60 cals. a baby one is about 30 cals.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: i was able to eat a full baby artichoke by myself as a snack.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: mine were babies, so the center leaves were quite edible.(i'm not sure if the regular-sized ones are like that?). and the centers just had tiny, little hearts (but the best part!!!). with the outer leaves, i could only eat the bottom parts (you kind of suck/pull the flesh off the leaf w/ your teeth). i find they taste like edamame (soy beans), which i love! i'm not sure that i would buy artichokes again just to make a simple recipe like this; i would likely want to find a more exciting recipe!

PICTURE (optional): here's the video i followed: (very informative!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0q_cFo6Cxc

it was difficult finding good artichoke recipes on the web, so my first experience with artichokes was pretty plain!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This challenge ends tonight, so if you have an artichoke recipe make sure to share it here!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting is up!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

I really intended to enter this challenge, but I had a cold that turned into a sinus infection and just am not at my prime. BUT vote vote vote for one of the two entries!
    Voting ends Wednesday July 27th at 5PM PST.

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting for this challenge ends tomorrow, so make sure you let me know which recipe is the winner!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    5PM tonight is the cut off to vote!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to scapez, with the winning dish of: Artichokes with Lemony Dressing !

Now enter the jalapeno challenge: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/297520-cooking-challenge-jalapeno?page=1#posts-3980875