Looking for Friends: Maintaining Weight while Pregnant

Options
I am 13 weeks pregnant and I'd like to maintain my weight (or gain in the 11-20lb range) during this pregnancy. I started this pregnancy just barely obese (BMI 30.2) and my OB has suggested the 11-20lb gain, but also has stated that she'd prefer that I gain as little as possible. She said it would be healthy and okay for me to maintain my weight during pregnancy.

Is anyone else trying to maintain their weight for this reason? If so, friend me please :smile:

Replies

• courtneemackay
    courtneemackay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, same situation. I'm 14 weeks. Only want to gain about 20 lbs. Hope this app will help me along.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! And congrats!
  • standlc
    standlc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same boat girls and I haven't had the energy to workout much aside from everyday walking. I'm 21 weeks and I'm trying to start from scratch and keep my nutrition in this final half on track. I'm currently suppose to eat around 1280 cals to lose weight. Obviously I'm not going back to try to lose weight right now. I'm wondering what your thoughts are for increasing calories to maintain or only gain a few lbs? I'm hoping to stay under 20. So far I've gained about 5.
  • sisehtopyh
    sisehtopyh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    standlc wrote: »
    Same boat girls and I haven't had the energy to workout much aside from everyday walking. I'm 21 weeks and I'm trying to start from scratch and keep my nutrition in this final half on track. I'm currently suppose to eat around 1280 cals to lose weight. Obviously I'm not going back to try to lose weight right now. I'm wondering what your thoughts are for increasing calories to maintain or only gain a few lbs? I'm hoping to stay under 20. So far I've gained about 5.

You can just set MFP to "maintain weight" (lose 0 lbs/week) but set your activity level as sedentary. That should give you a good estimate. Then log your intentional exercise and eat that back.

Mainly I'm trying to eat high quality/less processed foods.
  • jenndslp
    jenndslp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you ladies!!! I had just lost 14 pounds and was on a roll when I found out I was pregnant! I was aiming for a total loss of 60, but that isn't going to happen now. I started my pregnancy at 238, I'm 11w3d and currently 236. I'm trying to keep sugar and processed food out of my diet. I can't believe I actually lost during the past couple of months because I literally couldn't get off the couch for days at a time!! I am so happy to be almost into the 2nd trimester! I am hoping to be able to find the energy to get some exercise! My goal is to try not to gain anything at all, if possible. I'm tracking my food to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition for my body, I'm taking great prenatal vitamins, and I hope with an increase in movement and calories burned I can maintain this weight!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm seeking to basically maintain my weight, as I gained a lot at the first. So far I've maintained for more than 2 weeks, but I still eat plenty (2100 cals or more). I'm not restricting, just eating like I should and logging. I'm at 30 weeks!
  • nussbaums
    nussbaums Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i am right there wit yall, i worked very hard to lose 127 lbs after my last son and am now pregnant with my 4th child gained a huge amount of weight in the first 4 months so now im trying to maintain my weight from here on
  • OperaDiva114
    OperaDiva114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sisehtopyh wrote: »
    I am 13 weeks pregnant and I'd like to maintain my weight (or gain in the 11-20lb range) during this pregnancy. I started this pregnancy just barely obese (BMI 30.2) and my OB has suggested the 11-20lb gain, but also has stated that she'd prefer that I gain as little as possible. She said it would be healthy and okay for me to maintain my weight during pregnancy.

Is anyone else trying to maintain their weight for this reason? If so, friend me please :smile:

This is me to a T! And I would love to have a few friends in the same boat to help with support on this journey! Please feel free to add me!
  • Bexibear82
    Bexibear82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Same situation. Have started my pregnancy overweight but at 16 weeks have lost 1/2 lb instead of gaining weight. Everyone says my face looks slimmer, my tummy is looking fat though :smiley:
    My midwife (OB) has said that 15-25 lb weight gain is an acceptable amount to gain (for me personally) but I really want to gain as little as possible, without being unhealthy or eating too little for my baby.
    Sticking to 1780 kcal a day at the moment and eating what I like as my tastes and nausea are all over the place at the moment. I think giving up alcohol is the biggest weight loss I will see.

Good luck everyone!
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had my baby almost 6 months ago now (where did that time go?!), I was 86kg when I got my positive test, and was 82.3kg the day after I had the baby.

Maintaining weight was easy when pregnant, it was the 5-6 months after I had her that was hard! I went up to 92kg on Christmas day, ugh. Down to 87.3kg this week.

I found breastfeeding made me way hungrier than pregnancy.

Baby was 3.4kg (7.5lbs) at 38+6 so eating a lower amount didn't have any effect on her size.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant is full of like minded mamas.

I was down 72lbs when I got my positive test. Used MFP to keep my gain to 15lbs. It works if used correctly! Good luck and congrats.
  • AwkwardSprinkle
    AwkwardSprinkle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am only 8 weeks pregnant and recently started my weight loss journey. It was exciting to find out, but I wasn't trying, in fact I was on birth control, so there was a part of me that was scared of the weight gain and bummed my weight loss journey was being put on hold. Now my focus is trying to lose a little weight in the first trimester which was cleared by my doctor, but then maintaining best I can through my pregnancy. Add me it you'd like if you're in a similar situation!
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Since I've found out the exciting news, I have been eating maintenance calories and walking whenever the weather isn't miserable, and it's been working great for me so far. I would love to keep my weight in control during my pregnancy and am looking for friends who are in the same boat and could offer support and advice! Feel free to send me a friend request :)
  • megisaloser
    megisaloser Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm 16 weeks along and in the same boat. I'm going to send you a friend request!
  • 11aliciamorgan
    11aliciamorgan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats to all!!!
    I am 10 weeks pregnant and am also trying to gain a small/healthy amount of weight. I was 10 lbs away from being at my goal/pre pregnancy weight then became pregnant with our second. I think it's in my (and baby's) best health that I sustain weight in first trimester and slowly gain for 2nd and 3rd! Please add. I'd love to friend some inspiring preggo mamas!