Low-Fat High Calorie Snacks?

Options
Long story short, my normal calorie goal is 1410 but with exercise I sometimes end up with a daily calorie goal over 2000. I feel like I can't eat that much without eating unhealthy snacks but I want to eat as close to my daily calorie goal (and eat most of my exercise calories) as I can. What are some snacks that are 150 cals+, easy (prefer no prep!), and very low in fat or are composed of healthy fats? Thanks

Replies

• HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    hummus with about anything. carrots, green beans, pita (watch the sodium), cucumber, cherry tomatoes.

also, fitness with natalie has a great snack list on her blog:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/snack-time.html

Good luck!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachio's, etc.

2 tbsp of peanut butter on an apple and you've got almost 300 good, healthy cals right there!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been told nuts are a great calorie soaker, but unfortunately I don't think they're low in fats. However, they are at least healthy fats. A quarter of a cup of Cashews is 180 calories I believe (lightly salted).
  • cottonwoolsheep
    Options
    Banana and natural yoghurt. or banana and granola is good too.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Soy nuts!! Fat-free Greek yogurt with a little whole-grain, low-sugar cereal or fruit. Hummus and veggies or pita. Whole-grain, low-fat tortilla chips and refried beans. Drained canned tuna or salmon on whole-grain toast. Apple and a little peanut butter.
  • jhuguez
    jhuguez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Low Fat chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink after a workout. Peanut Butter, Honey, and Banana sandwich is also a great snack/small meal for athletes or anyone working out. Like the chocolate milk, it is a good source of protein and carbs.
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a good choice. Tuna pouches, Low cal yogurt with protein powder, love the hummus idea, greek yogurt mixed with dry ranch dressing and veggies. Smoothies are a great choice. You can add protein powder or flax seed.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much I will help since you can check out my food diary at any point and I don't have any new ideas. Still, I have the same issue and thought I would brainstorm with you!

My go-to snacks are apple and cheesestick, nuts, milk, whole-grain crackers with hummus, hard-boiled egg or veggie scrambles, greek yogurt with fruit, and wraps with veggies and tuna. Other good ideas for protein and nutrition are beans and lentils, although they are NOT high in calories. Don't forget that high-quality olive oil may be a good addition. Put a little olive oil and spices on some chickpeas, roast them, and enjoy some crunchy goodness.

Hmmm... I am interested in what other people suggest, too!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love apple slices with peanut butter. Yum!