Why would walking on a treadmill hurt more than walking around/outside??

Options
I feel like this is a really stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway - I have bad knees/feet that are making lots of different exercises painful, though I'm continuing to try new things. In the meantime on days where Im not working out I've been walking on the treadmill just to get to 10k steps (on the days where I don't get there just by being more active through work, running errands etc. ) After only a few minutes in, my lower back will start to hurt, and my quads/knees too to a lesser extent. I don't notice this when I'm say, walking to the library. Is it a posture or positioning thing? Any tips like incline or speed? I'm talking about walking at a <2mph pace, while I'm checking emails, watching tv etc - not fast walking for aerobic exercise. Thanks!

Christine

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When you're walking to t h e library you may not be checking your phone and emails. This simple act of looking down can wreak havoc with your posture and back. Common problem. Try not doing it!
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Outside you have to propel yourself, on a treadmill you just have to pick up your feet. It is a different movement, so you may be using muscles differently. Others will be able to give a more technical explanation.
  • jellyseal
    jellyseal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill you're more likely to have a shorter stride lenght, and you have to maintain a constant pace, oppose to walking where you can easily adjust your pace.
  • jellyseal
    jellyseal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When running I incline the treadmill by 1% to offset the lack of air resistance, and match the effort of running outside.