Going to the gym

Options
So, I'm once again on a journey to become healthy and fit...for like the millionth time, haha but I think this time, I might have a chance. I decided to try being a vegetarian last fall and that lasted like, 2-3 months. Well, I'm back on it for good now and my only problem for this "journey" is going to the gym. I have a great fear of going to the gym.

Like, I know I shouldn't and people say all the time that it's not as bad as I think it is but my anxiety won't allow it, lol. I've only felt comfortable going with a friend but I know that I should, at least, sum up some courage to go on my own because my friend's schedule and mine aren't exactly the same. Soooo, any tips on how to get over the fear of the gym and like maybe some good workouts to get started?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. <3

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you have some money, get some sessions with a trainer, they are trained to stop anyone from biting you. Good luck :)
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. If you haven't already got a memberships and have options a lot of places will offer a free day or trial week. Try a few places and see where you feel most comfortable. I really feel comfortable at my gym which has helped a lot in getting me to go. I also stuck with the basics (bike treadmill ) the first few times I went slowly venturing to the other parts that make me nervous. And got a trainer who could show me the ropes.... Realizing that pretty much no one else is paying attention to me and we are all in our own headphone induced worlds helped too.

Might also be helpful if you let us know what exactly you are anxious about. You might be able to get more specific feedback

And now the counselor in me come out.... Some theories say that the more a person avoids an anxiety trigger the more it increases the body/minds anxious response to it because you are not providing your mind with evidence that your beliefs might be false. So as uncomfortable as it may feel at first it may be better just to get it over with and go so you can either 1)have some evidence to challenge anxious thoughts or 2) in the unlikely case your anxiety is 100% accurate find alternative ways to exercise (sorry for long response)
  • carleeyuill
    carleeyuill Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In my experience, people are generally at the gym to work out for themselves, and don't really pay much attention to others. I used to think that people were always judging others or making fun, but I"ve been a regular gym goer for many years and haven't seen this happen!

Good luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It took me a long, long time to work up the courage to go into the weight room, but I have never been bothered whilst in there. The key for me was to go in with a plan. I knew what lifts I was going to do, and I had studied the right form, so I didn't look like too much of a noob.

Having said that, it's not strictly necessary to go to a gym in order to work out. You can walk or run outside, you can do an exercise DVD or find workouts online. You can go swimming or biking or dancing. There are lots of different options out there!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Are there any classes you've wanted to try? Those can tend to be pretty much anonymous and no advanced knowledge needed. Just go in, do what the instructor says and if you miss a few cues, it's perfectly normal as they're used to newer members. Within three to four classes, most people are really getting into it, or at least they know if a particular class is not their thing
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Nothing to fear, but fear itself! ;)
  • jadeole
    jadeole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and support. Happy to say that I did join a gym(in November), however i went for three days and then stopped. I'm horrible, I know. BUT I found some friends to go with to keep me on track. So hopefully, this time for real, I will reach my goal.

Once again, thank you all. You're all splentabulous.
  • laburto
    laburto Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Watch YouTube videos or look at pinterest workouts. Once u start working out alot u will definitely get comfortable and won't care who is around you.
  • jadeole
    jadeole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Pinterest is my go to for everything, lol.