Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I am not sure what you consider to be "healthy" food, processed foods of any kind is not "healthy."

I eat all sorts of processed foods and I'm in excellent health.

Yes, we know :wink:

Ha, yes I probably am a bit repetitive by this point lol. The whole 'processed' foods thing is such a big pet peeve of mine though, drives me batty!

Processed is too hard a term to pin down. To me, it means those frozen ready meals, twinkies and packet convenience foods. To others, processed could mean yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, which personally i think are healthy things. Maybe we could call them healthy processed foods to make things even more confusing lol
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Some people to differentiate between "processed" (like yogurt, bread, etc.) and "ultraprocessed" (like ready meals, twinkies, etc.)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Some people to differentiate between "processed" (like yogurt, bread, etc.) and "ultraprocessed" (like ready meals, twinkies, etc.)

Yeah, that would make more sense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you consider to be "healthy" food, processed foods of any kind is not "healthy."

Because technically if I pluck a strawberry from my garden, stem it, and toss it in the freezer I have processed it, here on MFP i say "ultra processed" and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Try looking here in MFP in the thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures#latest to see what others are fitting into their daily eating. The pictures alone can make you drool, haha. And also the posts under the Main forums title http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes
    There are some great ideas under both of these. I would make the guess that no one posts things that don't taste good to them!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yes, but it's much easier to rack up thousands of calories eating pizza, Mcdonalds et al everyday V homecooked veggies, salads and lean meats.

Yes, it's possible to gain weight only eating "whole, clean,fresh unsuperprocessed foods", but it would be alot harder than eating mostly the aforementioned foods for the majority of ones diet. In my experience anyway.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    prioritize. If i crave fried chicken i eat fried chicken, Just pair it with a veggie instead of fries and a full calorie pop from the store. No need to waste calories on the things i dont really want, Whether that be healthy or unhealthy food ;)

that part
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's much easier to rack up thousands of calories eating pizza, Mcdonalds et al everyday V homecooked veggies, salads and lean meats.

Yes, it's possible to gain weight only eating "whole, clean,fresh unsuperprocessed foods", but it would be alot harder than eating mostly the aforementioned foods for the majority of ones diet. In my experience anyway.

I gained 20lbs while I was a vegetarian and have lost 20lbs eating a variety of foods including my beloved big mac and pizza. My experience was vastly different from yours.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

You nailed it when you said in your experience. People have this misconception because they often come from a background where fast food is associated with carelessness and weight gain and unprocessed food is associated with dieting.

When you look at traditional meals prepared from minimally processed foods you will notice they aren't that much worse than pizza and McDonald's. When your veggies are cooked in cups of sesame butter, your salads are loaded with olive oil and your meat is anything but lean (in fact suet is added for extra juiciness), and your snacks are nuts and dried fruits, hummus and olives, the calories are comparable if not higher than fast food. Those are the kinds of foods I gained weight on, and when I first started dieting I was pleasantly surprised how low in calories pizza and McDonald's are in comparison to some of the minimally processed dishes I grew up eating.

We aren't talking about your typical dieter's grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli. People tend to look at minimally processed foods through dieting glasses for some reason when things like mashed potatoes and gravy, shepherd's pie, dishes cooked in coconut milk or ghee (the real kind not the watery diet mess)...etc are all predominantly based on whole foods or types of processing that are generally considered more "natural" than the store bought stuff (making dairy products, making sauces, grinding or chopping something...etc). Heck, even peanut butter is not ultra processed (that's just ground peanuts!).

Sure, it's harder to gain weight on lean meats and green salads dressed with lemon juice, but then you are talking about foods typically associated with dieting that just happen to be minimally processed, just a subset of a large more calorically diverse set of foods.

+1

I was eating minimally processed foods. I had a very liberal hand with olive oil when I roasted vegetables and poured it over beans for a touch of flavor at the table as well. I dressed all of my salads with plain olive oil and lemon juice.

I also have a great fondness for nuts and nut butters and ate them freely. Almond butter and apples was a favorite snack, and I was pretty liberal with what I thought was 2 tablespoons of the stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I eat all sorts of processed foods and I'm in excellent health.

Yes, we know :wink:

Ha, yes I probably am a bit repetitive by this point lol. The whole 'processed' foods thing is such a big pet peeve of mine though, drives me batty!

Processed is too hard a term to pin down. To me, it means those frozen ready meals, twinkies and packet convenience foods. To others, processed could mean yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, which personally i think are healthy things. Maybe we could call them healthy processed foods to make things even more confusing lol

Processed has a meaning and it includes a very diverse group of foods, including yogurt, cottage cheese, soy sauce, sriracha, vinegars, olive oil, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, canned and dried beans, smoked salmon, rotisserie chicken, frozen fish, store bought sauerkraut and kimchi, pickles, mustard, on and on, up to and including boneless, skinless chicken breast (which is a processed food I personally rarely eat).

Sure, it also includes protein powder, candy bars, protein bars, energy drinks, frozen tater tots, the White Castle burgers you can buy from the freezer section, Twinkies, and a huge variety of pre-made meals, some of which have terrible macros (IMO) and lots of added things I am not interested in eating, and some of which are actually not a bad comparison to many made at home meals (although I still don't buy them since I am a terrible snob about such things and tend to like my own cooking best anyway).

When people announce that processed foods are all one thing, they are using the term incorrectly or have bought into some misinformation. That's why I think it is worthwhile to ask them what is wrong with the many processed foods that I think even the most "eat only good foods" kind of eater should have no issue with. I usually want to know if they are using the term "processed" wrong or if they genuinely think that there's something wrong with Fage plain greek yogurt just because it's processed. (Then if they say it's what mama cow feeds baby cow to make him fat, I know we have a different issue.) ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But why is the question.

It's perfectly possible to cook from whole foods and make them high cal.

And it's also perfectly possible to cook from premade things and keep it within your calorie goals and macros.

The thing is that it takes more work and thought to eat if you cook for yourself and if you avoid "processed" (by which you mean ultra processed, really) things you can't run to the store and buy a Twinkie if feeling hungry (and although I could go to a farm to table restaurant where the food is high cal and cooked with lots of butter, I'm less likely to do that in the middle of the night when I shouldn't be eating, but instead as part of a planned outing with other people).

Point is that it's not really that the "processed" food has terrible additives that make you fat and the homemade stuff is "clean" and "non-addictive."

It's that you are creating barriers and structure when focusing on homemade or unprocessed stuff. And for those most likely to have been eating lots of ultra processed stuff (i.e., people who aren't particularly good or frequent cooks), they are also less likely to recreate high cal stuff when cooking at home. I mean, it took work for me to learn to make a really good pie and I'm lazy, so even though I can I don't do it that much.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    atiana19 wrote: »
    Some people can eat "bad" food in moderation but for those of us with carb and sugar addictions its not so easy. I understand her point completely and have found ways to make the healthier options of things I love and have the real thing maybe once a month and its an all out dinner night out with my kids. Other than that home cooking and taking your time to meal prep can help keep you track and gives you flexibility to add flavors to make your food taste better. Best of luck to us all = )

Having it once a month is a way of moderating.

My current way of deficit eating is just like that ... except I indulge once a week.

I recently went through a phase where I found it difficult to moderate. I'm working on getting back to it. So far, so good. I'm doing well portioning out the dark chocolate and caramels I have on hand.

My favourite little perfectly portioned treat in the world:

j9f71nqc6u1s.jpg

<3

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Some people can eat "bad" food in moderation but for those of us with carb and sugar addictions its not so easy. I understand her point completely and have found ways to make the healthier options of things I love and have the real thing maybe once a month and its an all out dinner night out with my kids. Other than that home cooking and taking your time to meal prep can help keep you track and gives you flexibility to add flavors to make your food taste better. Best of luck to us all = )

My current way of deficit eating is just like that ... except I indulge once a week.

I recently went through a phase where I found it difficult to moderate. I'm working on getting back to it. So far, so good. I'm doing well portioning out the dark chocolate and caramels I have on hand.

j9f71nqc6u1s.jpg

<3

Now that I know I'm getting good at moderating things again, I will add them to my next shopping list. They look amazing.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

j9f71nqc6u1s.jpg

<3

Now that I know I'm getting good at moderating things again, I will add them to my next shopping list. They look amazing.

They really are!

And each square is individually wrapped, so it's not like you open up a whole bar which then magically disappears. ;)

One square is 70 calories, and I find two is the perfect amount.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Speaking of chocolate, did anyone get it as holiday gift?

I got this variety box. It's really hard to stop at 4th piece.

4761187.attach
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    "moderators" vs. "abstainers" -- I'm not saying such categories don't exist, but I don't think it's somehow built-in. I suspect it's a very cultural thing.

This article was really interesting:
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/an-adorable-swedish-tradition-has-its-roots-in-human-experimentation

(it's mostly about doing unethical nutrition experiments on institutionalized patients, but ends up by describing how the action that Sweden took on the results was a public health campaign stressing moderation. The result: Swedes eat more candy than most other nations, yet have amazing teeth, because of a national expectation of moderate behavior.)

In other words: You can learn to be moderate in partaking of junk food.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm definitely in the abstainer group, I am not into making this harder on myself than i have to just to prove that i can stop at a 1/2 cup of ice cream or just 2 slices of pizza. Not having certain trigger foods around doesn't affect me one way or the other, out of sight, out of mind for me. I still have those trigger foods, but nowadays they're a rare treat rather than an everyday or weekly thing.