Shamed for CICO method at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Did he elaborate?

My trainer most definitely believes in CICO (the energy equation) but he also really pushes nutrition and eating well and emphasizes that more than anything...you won't actually here him talking CI-CO all that often with his clients as much as you'll here him talking about good nutrition.

So did your PT really say it didn't work or is he focusing on other aspects?
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Glad they aren't hard selling any of this crap at my gym! CICO clearly works and partnered with spending time at the gym and working out it works even better!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Not sure why but 98% of my post didn't show.

Long story short was just told by a PT that CICO doesn't work

It does! Lost 20 lbs so far in 6 mo and kept it off

It only works if you pay him to tell you it works. Lol! This is why I scoff at personal trainers most of the time. They might be good for specific training, like weight training or martial arts, but beyond that, I'll do my own dieting thank you. ;P
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it, just make sure you have your headphones on again when you see him
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it, just make sure you have your headphones on again when you see him

That advice applies to most trainers in most chain/franchise gyms.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    No one at the gym knows what the *kitten* they're talking about.
    Not true. I know my *kitten*.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have someone try to sell me some new herbal remedy or diet wonder, I tell them I am allergic to aloe vera...that stops most of them immediately.
  • brocktice
    brocktice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    FWIW I've lost a lot of weight with CICO, but at some point it stops working if you plateau, and then try to drive the CI too low -- then your CO calculations are wrong because your metabolism slows down. I didn't believe it until I tried ramping up my CI, especially protein, and boom, plateau broken.

However, gym person sounds like a shyster.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    brocktice wrote: »
    FWIW I've lost a lot of weight with CICO, but at some point it stops working if you plateau, and then try to drive the CI too low -- then your CO calculations are wrong because your metabolism slows down. I didn't believe it until I tried ramping up my CI, especially protein, and boom, plateau broken.

However, gym person sounds like a shyster.

That's why I hold to the don't go below the BMR rule, actually prefer to go about half way between BMR & TDEE for my deficit, and adequate protein is a must... there are more factors than just CICO of course, but the MAIN factor when it comes to weight loss is CICO.

Great way of explaining it though- about the metabolism slowing when CI is too low. That's a hard one to get across to some people.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    No one at the gym knows what the *kitten* they're talking about.
    Not true. I know my *kitten*.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Fine. You know your kitten, I agree.
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    HI Guys, at a computer now so I can share the whole story.

Just joined a new gym (pretty standard set up box gym). I have been using the elliptical to get in some low-impact cardio. Here's what happened.

I was intercepted by a personal trainer that works for the gym. He's the guy who gives each member a free training session when they join.

I was done with a workout and he pulled me aside to offer the free training. I thought "cool." He said he had seen me doing the elliptical for the past day and that it was pretty standard ::especially for women:: to b-line for cardio like the treadmill/elliptical.

I listened to him for a minute then interjected that I am an ex cross-fitter (3 years), did orange theory, did bbg and other body weight movements. I told him that I had a low back strain and that I was simply doing light cardio because it was something that i could sustain when my body is injured. I told him I prefer body weight, circuit training.

He asked me what my goals were. I said weight loss. I said I was counting my calories and doing cardio at the moment. He gave me that look like "girl that doesn't work" and said that CICO doesn't work (or it does at first) but it is not the real key to weightloss. Then he went on a soap box speech of whatever he thought worked. I didn't really push the topic but like I said, CICO has worked really well for me and has kept the weight off (unlike so many fad diets I've done like keto or paleo).

I know its not that big of a deal what he said and he was just trying to be helpful. In fact I used to be in his camp thinking CICO was useless/ineffective.

During and after I did feel bad about myself and that I was doing something wrong -- EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IM NOT. I guess its the first real time I've been on the receiving end of criticism of a type of exercise or weightloss.

Obviously do what works for you! to each their own
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies folks :)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hell, you don't even need to be in the gym to hear this crap. I get it from overweight people trying to sell those so called 'healthy supplements' that helped them lose so-and-so pounds... I can't help but wonder how they are still overweight if it works so good?? hmm...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies folks :)

This reminds me of the famous saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".