Opinions on diet pills?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, most make lots of promises and don't deliver. Most of them don't do ANYTHING. Some will make you lose weight, but don't seem to use the healthiest methods to do so... I used to be open-minded about diet pills, but once I tried one and it didn't do anything for me, I realized what a waste of money they are.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Acai berry extract is the new pomegranate (anyone else remember when that thing was being touted as a miracle food?) Almost all fruits have antioxidants (some more than others). Honestly the FDA needs to annihilate the supplement market by holding it to some kind of standard, because these ridiculous claims that taking some supplement is going to make you lose weight is a load of crap.
  • davis22b
    davis22b Posts: 31
    Options
    I rather take B12 vitamins, I heard those help with weight loss. Well I'm going to try a B12 shot vs the vitamins.

Has anyone tried the B12 vitamins?

I get monthly B12 injections--not to aid in weight loss, but because I'm deficient and my doctor advised I should get them (never been overweight in my life, btw)

I recently found out that the Dr. Bernstein "diet" is just B12 injections...

When I'm having a piggy day and fear I'm going to eat every thing in site, I'll *sometimes* resort to popping an ephedrine, but that's about it. I used to be horrible and eat certain weight loss pills like they were candy, but that ended up doing quite a bit of damage in the end...

Have you noticed any weight loss with the injections or do you seem more energized?
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yeh, I went to a chinese herbal shop for a mircle herbal tea-- free of drugs; helps aid in weight lose,.......desperate to shift these last 2 stubbon kilo's. I don't know if it helped me loose a bit of weight of late; but I'm suspicous this tea is respondible for producing yellow stools after a bowel motion. and that constant feeling of wanting to go to the bathroom all day and nothing...until., eventually.........
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I rather take B12 vitamins, I heard those help with weight loss. Well I'm going to try a B12 shot vs the vitamins.

Has anyone tried the B12 vitamins?

I take B12 injections. They HURT when you do them, but they do help with energy, etc.

As for your original question regarding diet pills - that's a big NO for me. Research some of the "ingredients" in the pills and decide if you want to be putting that into your body.

If you're feeling hungry, try some green tea as a more natural appetite suppressant. :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Definitely have more energy--the doctor explained this (and my slight anemia) was what was making me so sleepy!
    I literally had no energy to do anything...I'd go to the gym, ride the bike for 7 minutes and then want to take a nap on the bench press.

The ones I get are just regular needles in the arm...nothing painful at all.

I'd also recommend guzzling natural teas. The liquid will fill you up, tricking your tummy into thinking it's more full. Plus there are great benefits to tea drinking
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    The only thing I take is the one that really works: Allí. It prevents your body from absorbing some of the fats that you eat. Works great, and I have trouble losing weight without it. The downside of it is that you HAVE to maintain a low-fat diet (less than 15 or 20 grams per meal) or the side effect is very unpleasant!

Since this worked for you, it's great. But, and I really don't mean to sound like I'm throwing a wet towel on your fire, I can't help but believe it's largely a placebo effect. Here's how it works:

If you follow the advice you gave and consume 20 grams of fat per day (on the high side) that equals 180 calories per day.
    Alli will bond with and pass 25% of those calories out of your system. That's 45 calories a day. That equals 1350 per
    month which means that every 3 months (assuming you are following the guidelines) you will lose 1 extra pound.

For me, that's not an effective medicine to be putting in my body. And I say that having tried 1 bottle. I did follow the directions to the letter and the only thing I can say it did do was alleviate my need for a stool softner.

If anyone is considering giving this a try, please do the research and do that math. Being very frank, the only way I could see this med making much of a difference is if someone who binges used it to counter a bad day. And then they'd probably be taking it a prescription strength, not OTC Alli strength.

And if my math is wrong, please feel free to correct me.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The only thing I take is the one that really works: Allí. It prevents your body from absorbing some of the fats that you eat. Works great, and I have trouble losing weight without it. The downside of it is that you HAVE to maintain a low-fat diet (less than 15 or 20 grams per meal) or the side effect is very unpleasant!

Since this worked for you, it's great. But, and I really don't mean to sound like I'm throwing a wet towel on your fire, I can't help but believe it's largely a placebo effect. Here's how it works:

If you follow the advice you gave and consume 20 grams of fat per day (on the high side) that equals 180 calories per day.
    Alli will bond with and pass 25% of those calories out of your system. That's 45 calories a day. That equals 1350 per
    month which means that every 3 months (assuming you are following the guidelines) you will lose 1 extra pound.

For me, that's not an effective medicine to be putting in my body. And I say that having tried 1 bottle. I did follow the directions to the letter and the only thing I can say it did do was alleviate my need for a stool softner.

If anyone is considering giving this a try, please do the research and do that math. Being very frank, the only way I could see this med making much of a difference is if someone who binges used it to counter a bad day. And then they'd probably be taking it a prescription strength, not OTC Alli strength.

And if my math is wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I actually considered Alli when I was first really considering losing weight. The thing was though that I wanted to lose weight to alleviate some social anxiety, and the possibility of crapping my pants in public wasn't going to help that.