Belly Pooch

Options
I've been doing really well for about two weeks now. Cardio, HIIT, and eating right I'm not expecting immediate change but I want to know from everyone mostly mom's of how you got rid of your pooch/muffin top. Mine isn't large but I hear conflicting arguments about abs and pooches and exercise. Please help me understand what's going on and what to do...

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I got pregnant, I have two kids, I wrote this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Having abs or getting rid of belly fat comes down to losing the fat and having some muscle under it. Exercise, don't starve yourself, and don't beat yourself up. It takes time, but you can get there.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It took me getting to the lower end of a normal BMI (119-120 lbs/5'5") after I had my first baby to see my stomach flatten out and lose the pooch. I was doing a variety of exercises at the same time too that helped, but it was mostly losing weight until my body decided to slim down in that area. (pretty much the last area for me, alas)
  • RachaelMummy
    RachaelMummy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat piinkrevolver, I want it gone but its been like that for years and years and I dont know what to do. I think maybe excess skin from my tummy being so stretched.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It took me getting to the lower end of a normal BMI (119-120/5'5") to see my stomach flatten out and lose the pooch after I had my first baby. I also did a variety of exercises too which helped. Mostly though it was just losing the weight until my body decided to release that area. (pretty much the last area for me, alas)
  • goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same here . It's all in the belly and not going anywhere
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's also a bit genetic.

Even when I was super skinny as a teen (under 95 lbs at 5'3"), I had a bit of a belly pooch.

Even with all the extra working out I did in the Army (though in my day (over 30 years ago) it was sit-ups and not crunches), I still had a bit of a belly pooch.

I'm now almost back to my Army weight and working out regularly again (strength training, planks, serious core workouts due to paddleboarding competitively), and yep, still have a bit of a belly pooch.

Maybe I'm just super lazy with my workouts for that area, but I really feel over the years, I've gotten better at targeting those muscles...and while it reduces, it's still a bit poochy.

Maybe I just need to work harder at building muscle, or get better at sucking it in all.the.time, but I really feel like there is a bit of genetics at play, so I accept that I might never have that perfectly flat tummy that airbrushed models or people more willing to put way more time in at the gym than me have...and at over 50 yo, I'm starting to come to terms with it.
  • piinkrevolver
    piinkrevolver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just want my tummy to be flat again. It's not too bad but as soon as I get it where I'd like, I'm purchasing a new belly ring.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Quoting as this is perfect.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I was obese when I got pregnant, I have two kids, I wrote this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Having abs or getting rid of belly fat comes down to losing the fat and having some muscle under it. Exercise, don't starve yourself, and don't beat yourself up. It takes time, but you can get there.

• piinkrevolver
    piinkrevolver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank u for sharing!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think that for some it will always be there. I have no doubt that I will always have a little pooch after five kids. It's what protects our babies and I think for some it is more prominent