Fitness Trackers and MFP

Options
KainHighwind
KainHighwind Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I know this has probably come around quite a few times.
But I just had to ask.
I have a Fitbit Charge Paired with my MFP Account and I have it to automatically add my steps to my current diary. Now my question was just that I was not sure if I should
A) Do not wear my tracker during the activity and Log it
B ) Wear my Tracker and Not log the activity
C) Wear the Tracker and log it.
I have been doing c) for a bit and my Calories burned seems excessively high?

Thank you guys for taking the time to read my question.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    b)

As long as the syncing is set up right, it will log the exercise automatically. Check what is on the exercise tab.
  • KainHighwind
    KainHighwind Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't know about that function before! Thank you SO much Tacklewasher!!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I find (b) to be an accurate option.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If the desire is for you to count the calories for the activity "correctly", use (b).

It gets trickier if you want your activity posted on MFP.

If the tracker and MFP are connected the MFP activity will OVER-WRITE the tracker recorded activity for the particular time frame.

A few minutes after you post on MFP you will likely see the MFP recorded activity pop up on your tracker.

With Fitbit if you manually DELETE the activity your Fitbit will revert to whatever it had recorded on its own for the same time frame! otherwise it will retain the information it received from MFP (it assumes that you have "corrected" what it had recorded.)

Doing all this will work best if negative adjustments are enabled as sometimes your MFP activity will give you more calories than Fitbit leading to the need for a negative adjustment to bring the two in line.