Living with a vegan....and trying to do a low carb diet.

Options
So I've decided to have a go at the healthy lifestyle...again!! If I was solo, I think it would be super easy. I'm good with eating chicken or fish and tons of veggies. But my boyfriend is vegan -- and not trying to lose weight (he's lost about 50 pounds since going vegan about a year ago, but that's a whole other topic -- can you say jealous???). Anywayyyyyy - any ideas how we can avoid spending a ton on groceries? I don't want to have to do 2 totally separate grocery orders.

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just make your protein (chicken & fish) and sides of vegan dishes. He eats the sides and you eat the protein.

My husband was vegan for 12 years (now vegetarian but contemplating going back vegan). I just learned to make a lot of vegan dishes and I ate them as well and still do (I'm pescatarian).

You can also try eating vegan a day or two out of the week to help with the grocery bill.

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Diet Doctor, a low carb website has a forum about vegetarian low carb there may be some useful information in there for you. I think if you sign up (no fee, just create a profile) you can even get meal plans but it's been a while since I've been there. Aww hell, after typing that I just went and looked :smiley: Here's the link hopefully it can give you some ideas: https://www.dietdoctor.com/category/food/vegetarian-lchf
  • kiklerr
    kiklerr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that a higher fat "diet" to work more efficiently due to our brains are mostly fat. I am vegan and it's easy to do a high carb diet. But with losing weight it's all about being in a caloric deficit. So just try doing that instead of a fad diet Garuntee it will be more effective.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Considering all the vegans I know eat TONS of veggies, I would just get your protein and then eat the veggies he eats. Seems simple to me, unless he is more of a breaditarian and lives off of PB and Js (my vegan brother admits that this happens to him occasionally when he gets lazy....we won't talk about the fact that he cooked professionally for 15 years :smiley: ).
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dump your boyfriend
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Go vegan
  • veggienut57
    veggienut57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years and it seems like I eat a lot of carbs. Not meaning too, but so many vegan and vegetarian food items are high in carb. Not just bread, but beans are high in carbs. I just checked my beans and they have 19 grams of carb for 1/2 cup. And if you mix rice with that, carbs again. For 1/4 cup of rice, that is between 34-38 grams of carbs.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    First night, make enough of a vegan main dish to last at least two days. Serve with vegan sides. You both eat vegan.

Second night, make enough of whatever animal protein you want to last at least two days. You eat the animal protein, he eats the leftover vegan main. Serve with vegan sides.

The third night, make a new vegan main. You eat the leftover animal protein. Serve with vegan sides.

Keep up the cycle. You never have to make two different meals on any night, and you always have a vegan main dish and an animal protein main dish for each meal.

Problem solved.
  • Elle_Reed
    Elle_Reed Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Considering all the vegans I know eat TONS of veggies, I would just get your protein and then eat the veggies he eats. Seems simple to me, unless he is more of a breaditarian and lives off of PB and Js (my vegan brother admits that this happens to him occasionally when he gets lazy....we won't talk about the fact that he cooked professionally for 15 years :smiley: ).

Exactly!!!! He's a breadatarian and potatotarian!!! Ugh.
  • Elle_Reed
    Elle_Reed Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dump your boyfriend

I've tried that.... :D
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Dump your boyfriend

and then
    Go vegan

Just kidding