New to maintenance

Options
I've lost about 50 pounds over the past year, and am happy with my weight where it is now. I look good, I'm stronger than I've been in my life, and all of my aches and pains have gone away now that I'm working out regularly!

Here's my question: I've just changed my MFP settings to maintenance, and it's increased my daily calorie allowance by 300 - that seems so luxurious! I did my weight loss gradually, so never really felt deprived, and I eat a pretty healthy diet. Now that I have calories to spare, I find I'm not sure what to do with them besides load up on junk that I really don't want - I'm good now with just a small serving of sweets, for instance, and don't usually have a desire to have much more, and I really don't want to go back to recreational eating. If I ate out more I'm sure it would be easy to make up the extra calories, but I'd rather not. Of course there are days when I'm glad for more calories in the bank, but for most regular days it doesn't matter much to me.

I'm also wondering if an extra 300 calories per day is the right amount - seems like a lot. Have MFP's calculations for maintenance worked for you, or did you have to tweak your goals based on what actually happened?

Thanks for any guidance as I enter this new phase!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching maintenance! 300 is not alot - equal to making up about .5 lb per week deficit that you were probably running. Eat slightly larger portions, an extra snack or two, extra butter or olive oil, nuts, avocado, other calorie dense food, a meal out or an extra dessert. Many people have to try maintenance for a month or two then make minor adjustments. I suggest that you set a maintenance range, mine is 5 lbs, because you will still fluctuate.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Congrats on maintenance!

I just started maintenance this month also. I know what you mean about 300 calories feeling like a lot, but as lorrpb said that's about a .5 lb per week loss difference.

I'm going about it more gradual than trying to do it all at once (I was still at about a 500 calorie deficit when I switched over). I'm adding a 100 calories a month to my previous goal, until I reach my maintenance level. I know that means I'll keep losing a bit the first few months (and I already have), but I actually switched over to maintenance while I was still a few pounds over my estimated goal because I was already fitting into my goal clothes.

Also doing it one month at a time, I can see if need to stop sooner than when I add back the full 500 calories...or if I need to go an extra month or two because I'm still losing. While MFP calculations are fine, I've also been cross checking with a bunch of TDEE calculators. Since they are calculators/estimates, they are all a bit different depending on their algorithm used. So, I use them as ball park estimates, but tweak as I need to for my body.

But I have to say, as excited as I was to start to add calories to my goal, it's still hard for me to eat up to the new goal (which is probably why I'm still losing a bit). Of course, getting the cold/flu that's been going around also didn't help me with my lack of appetite the past week or so. But I'm sure in time, I'll get used to the new goals.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Starting maintenance myself and watching this thread. I share your trepidation. Thanks for the suggestions and congrats!!!!
  • jps2222
    jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Congrats on maintenance!

I just started maintenance this month also. I know what you mean about 300 calories feeling like a lot, but as lorrpb said that's about a .5 lb per week loss difference.

I'm going about it more gradual than trying to do it all at once (I was still at about a 500 calorie deficit when I switched over). I'm adding a 100 calories a month to my previous goal, until I reach my maintenance level. I know that means I'll keep losing a bit the first few months (and I already have), but I actually switched over to maintenance while I was still a few pounds over my estimated goal because I was already fitting into my goal clothes.

Also doing it one month at a time, I can see if need to stop sooner than when I add back the full 500 calories...or if I need to go an extra month or two because I'm still losing. While MFP calculations are fine, I've also been cross checking with a bunch of TDEE calculators. Since they are calculators/estimates, they are all a bit different depending on their algorithm used. So, I use them as ball park estimates, but tweak as I need to for my body.

But I have to say, as excited as I was to start to add calories to my goal, it's still hard for me to eat up to the new goal (which is probably why I'm still losing a bit). Of course, getting the cold/flu that's been going around also didn't help me with my lack of appetite the past week or so. But I'm sure in time, I'll get used to the new goals.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope you're over your crud now, and good luck with your maintenance plan!
  • jps2222
    Options
    Starting maintenance myself and watching this thread. I share your trepidation. Thanks for the suggestions and congrats!!!!

Congratulations yourself, and good luck!
  • jps2222
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on reaching maintenance! 300 is not alot - equal to making up about .5 lb per week deficit that you were probably running. Eat slightly larger portions, an extra snack or two, extra butter or olive oil, nuts, avocado, other calorie dense food, a meal out or an extra dessert. Many people have to try maintenance for a month or two then make minor adjustments. I suggest that you set a maintenance range, mine is 5 lbs, because you will still fluctuate.

Thanks for the info and ideas!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I add whatever I need to round out my macros for the day. Some ideas:
    apple + almond butter
    2% cottage cheese + blueberries
    Greek Yogurt + protein powder or PB2
    Protein Shake + slice of cheese
    Avocado + Ezekial toast
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I also did some things to tune up my macros/micros a bit in transitioning to maintenance - easier to add a few calories here & there vs. make calorie tradeoffs to improve nutrition as I'd done while losing. Examples:
    • Add some flax & hemp seeds to my oatmeal for more crunch/texture, a few grams more protein, and some micros that were useful for me.
    • Eat oven-roasted or sautéed veggies more often vs. raw (little more olive oil).
    • Put nuts or seeds on my salad more often.
    • Etc.
    Any of these things are just 50-100 calories here or there, but they add up.

Some people like to substitute full-fat products for reduced-fat ones they may've used while losing, too, like yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Having failed consistently to maintain my weight (gaining around 10lbs every year and requiring going back on reduction for the past three January's), I can truthfully say that I don't know how to maintain!

Adding 300kcals to your diet should be fine. My suggestion is to keep logging as long as you can.

I am going to set a reminder on my calendar for every three months after I reach my goal again. If I am are over my goal on that day, I will go back on calorie reduction. (I am fortunate that I don't tend to vary by more than about 10lbs, but that's enough to make my cloths tight!)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You might think 300 is a lot but you'll soon get used to and enjoy them! if you aren't hungry add in some calorie dense foods - whatever you fancy! My spare calories they are inclined to go on chocolate/dessert :smile:
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I second the comment to understand that when we are eating at a maintenance level, your body weight will fluctuate up and down a few pounds based on hormones, sodium levels, how full our colons are, etc. Setting a range and using a trending app to track your weight can help reduce any worries about this very natural process.

On having a difficult time eating more calories:

Sometimes it is hard to mentally accept eating more because we are afraid of regaining. However, the math of maintaining works the same as the math of losing and of gaining. If you do not add calories and you keep eating less than you are burning, you will continue to lose until you get to a weight that those calories will maintain. If you eat more than you are burning, you will slowly start gaining (again, talking about a trend, not the scale going up for a few days). The calorie level you need to maintain your new body is one that will fuel your energy needs and keep the calories in balanced with the calories out.

If you need to eat more to maintain where you are, you can do this in whatever way works for you, as other posters have replied above. Slightly larger servings, small servings of higher calorie foods, adding a snack, more treats, full-fat versions of foods instead of reduced-fat or fat-free, etc.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well done on reaching your goal.
    I dream of being successful at maintenance. Keen on getting tips from successful maintainers. Thanks
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Testing my banner
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about 300 calories. If you are hungry you will eat them, otherwise they're sitting there for another day. If you get to the lower end of your range then eat them then.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Congrats on maintenance!

Sounds like a great plan!