Help Me

Options
So lately I have started eating better and going to the gym more frequently. I have noticed that I have been way under my recommended calories once the exercise was added to my daily goal. I have been reading that you should eat back the calories that you burn. Is this true? I am so tempted to pick up a slice of pizza, or some birthday cake. Someone please help!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? What is the real problem? You should eat some back if you are burning a lot of calories.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I dont hardly ever eat back my calories I burn but If I was try to eat something healthy not Pizza even though I know its good you jsut worked hard to burn calories dont loose that for junk food.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Are you keeping your weight under control? Many folks have to do what works for them and everyone is different. Some eat their extra cals and some don't. I tend to eat 100-150 of mine a day but like I said everyone is different. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jparsons27
    jparsons27 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have heard both... Since I am fairly new, I am trying to hit the original calorie goal without exercise calories included. If you're hungry then eat... but if it's just because the pizza or cake looks good then maybe wait til you're hungry :)

And believe me I love pizza and cake!

Don't know if this helps or even makes sense :)
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your body is burning energy; and due to the way our bodies are designed - FAT is about the last place the body will go to get that energy. Your body is very good at burning muscle and connective tissue, as well as your organs. This is why people who lose weight drastically, tend to have saggy skin in their mid-sections. They have 'digested' their connective tissues - you don't want that.

So, eat back most of your exercise calories. You will build muscle mass - NOT digest connective tissue, and give your body the nutrition you need as you melt the fat away. Lots of FAQ topics on this. I know, it seems pointless to eat back what you just burnt off - but the goal was to lose (0.5, 1, 1.5 or maybe 2 lbs) per week. Your calorie alotment takes this into consideration already.

By exercising, you are not only burning calories, you are strenthing your muscles, and creating a situtation where you body NEEDS the connective tissue - so it's forced to burn the fat.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    when I crave pizza i make portobella pizzas.... google it :)
  • mariaprat18
    Options
    I usually don't eat all of the calories burnt but I do eat most of them, I would eat something healthier than pizza. Even thought I do get tempted too, I pick up a protein bar instead or some trail mix or something like that.
  • tracyleegurl
    Options
    I have been losing weight, but for the past two weeks i haven't been losing any weight. So i just wanted to see if i should eat more of the calories that i have been burning..... Thanks for the tips guys!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat your calories back (some swear you have to, others say it doesn't matter) then you should make sure it is coming from a good source. Calories from lean meats, veggies, fruits... Those are way better and "worth" more than calories from a slice of pizza, a coke, cake or something else high in sugar/carb content. I try to eat my calories back just because, for me, I seem to notice better, quicker results when I have eaten closest to my daily caloric goal. The only time I don't eat all my calories back is when I have exercised so much that the deficit is just too huge.

The more important questions are whether or not you are seeing results, and are you hungry? That's what I use as a gauge. If I am hungry, then I eat. If I am not hungry... then I don't force food into my stomach. Just be mindful of WHAT you are eating and where those calories end up coming from in the end.
  • elfranzen
    elfranzen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I seem to eat the Calories the next day. on workout days I get an extra 500 - 600 calories to eat but usually don't. but than the next day I always seem to want more than my daily allowance. I usually don't eat very much of the workout maybe a 200 max (the next day). and with my workouts I keep getting more Calories as I am getting faster at running and can run longer distances.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    if you are "way" under then you should probably eat more. But I'd try a serving of something calorie and nutrient rich. A slice of pizza would be okay if you make it yourself with healthy ingredients. A low sugar smoothie, nuts or nut butters, hummus, fruit, granola or trail mix, or something of that nature that has protein and healthy fat can be a good way to add more calories too.
  • stacymariegurl
    Options
    Great explanation. I am having a similar problem as Tracy Lee. :)
  • tracyleegurl
    Options
    Thank you guys so much.......I'm stepping away from the pizza!!!!