Disheartening and sad /rant

Options
Until now, I had been doing really well with not gaining tons of weight while pregnant. I had been happy that I had only gained 11lbsbin the first 7 months. This past week my weight skyrocketed aaven though I am not doing anything different than before. It saddens me because I am slowly reaching my first start weight/the highest I have ever been. I know a lot of it is fluid retention because you can see the edema in my legs. Still is kind of upsetting me though.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    Its ok, always more weight toward the end its baby and fluid. Hang in there and as long as your doctor isn't concerned you shouldn't be either, Its getting closer!! Keep dreaming about the cute little bundle you will soon have.

I'm trying, but sometimes it is really hard to remain focused on the end result.
    Is this your first pregnancy? You'll be shocked at how much fluid /weight you'll lose at delivery and the few days after :)

Yes it is.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on the important thing right now, the health of you and your baby. Your doctor will monitor you. Your baby is growing and many women gain a lot of weight in the final trimester. You are doing great! In a couple of months your baby will be here and you will be able to lose weight.
    Hang in there!
    Congrats on the upcoming birth of your child!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Please try not to feel too bad. I gained 7 pounds in my very last week of pregnancy (week 38.) Until then I had been doing reasonably well. It was mostly water, of course. My BP shot up and I had water retention like mad. What week are you in?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! So much of the weight comes off right away, and then you can lose whatever's left in the usual way. FWIW, I am 15 lbs. lighter now than I was before I was a mom, and I've had 3 kids. Gained 37 lbs with baby 1, lost 45 lbs by the time he was 4 months old. Got even MORE into fitness/health when he was a toddler and managed to gain 41 lbs with his sister. Was back to pre-preg weight by the time she was 4 months. Over the next five years, I got leaner, became a runner and fitness just became a huge part of my life. Got pregnant with baby #3, exercised and ate healthy (but higher quantity) foods and gained almost 50 lbs, 40 of which were gone by the time he was a month old, and the rest by the time I went back to work at 12 weeks. I have NO IDEA why my body piled on so much weight with these pregnancies (and it totally stressed me out!!!) but I have to think the rules of weight gaining are a little bit different with pregnancy...it clearly wasn't just "fat" (I looked thin with a giant belly with all three pregnancies.)

Anyway, I wish I could have told my pregnant self not to worry so much and to just enjoy it all as much as I could...so I will tell you instead! :-)
  • elphie754
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but not only have you managed to make it through 7 not easy months (I'm thinking of all your various threads) but you're also confined to bed rest and have recently started with a medication again which may or may not influence water retention (I don't know enough about it).

Elphie, in your situation, I probably would have given up on my weight a LONG time ago. You're doing amazing! Don't let a few pounds on the scale get you down. Especially since they might possibly be only added water.

You know what you'll need to do to lose all that weight once it's safe for you (and the little one) to do so.

PS: stop stepping on the scale you silly girl! After the birth will be soon enough. :wink:

I know, I just don't want the gain to get out of control. I know if I don't stay on track, I'll balloon even higher. Thinking about having SO hide the scale lol.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I understand wanting not to get "too fat" over a pregnancy but a normal woman will gain about 20lbs and that accounts for baby, extra fluid, sac, placenta etc...and you have only gained 11 after 7 months...eek.

And you are worried now because it's more and you know it's probably just fluid..

You need to get your priorities straingt here... and possibly speak to a professional as If this continues it will impact your child if it hasn't already.

My priories are straight. Also because I'm obese, I should only aim to to gain 11-20lbs, 20 being the maximum. OB is happy that I haven't gained a significant amount so far, and baby is healthy.

Concentrate on the important thing right now, the health of you and your baby. Your doctor will monitor you. Your baby is growing and many women gain a lot of weight in the final trimester. You are doing great! In a couple of months your baby will be here and you will be able to lose weight.
    Hang in there!
    Congrats on the upcoming birth of your child!

Thank you
    jemhh wrote: »
    Please try not to feel too bad. I gained 7 pounds in my very last week of pregnancy (week 38.) Until then I had been doing reasonably well. It was mostly water, of course. My BP shot up and I had water retention like mad. What week are you in?

Week 32. Seems like forever though lol.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Is this your first pregnancy? You'll be shocked at how much fluid /weight you'll lose at delivery and the few days after :)

Yes! But DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF BEFORE AND AFTER YOU GIVE BIRTH! I did and I'd lost about 5 pounds after giving birth to a 8 pound baby. Yep. Seriously. Your body is going through a lot of changes. Do not focus on weight loss. Focus on being healthy for you and your baby. And after words, you need to focus on HEALing your body not trying to get back to your prebaby body. It'll come. But you have to be patient and kind to yourself.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

Same. I understand the discomfort of retaining a lot of fluids. Hang in there. If it makes it any better, it's totally normal for that to escalate towards the end. Best to you!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    this weight gain from now on is a good thing, baby is doing all its last bits of growing.

I know it dont feel that way to you right now but trust me this is only a tempery thing.

after you have had baby you will get rid of so much flid and extra blood and obvs the baby

Iv had 5 and can honestly say that by the time they were around 6-10 weeks old id lost around 2stone.
    which was epic with 3rd as i was 109.5kg when i fell pregnant with him, gained around 8lbs through the pregnancy (although lost a bit to start with due to sickness) and by the time he was 3months old i was down 2st less than i started and id changed nothing except had given birth.

right now you dont need to worry about your weight, that can be worked on once you have little one here and happy
  • elphie754
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Same. I understand the discomfort of retaining a lot of fluids. Hang in there. If it makes it any better, it's totally normal for that to escalate towards the end. Best to you!

Very uncomfortable. Just putting on pants now hurts lol.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    OMG, I still remember complaining across the fence to a neighbor at 7 months how big I was with my first. Her response? "You think you're big now? Just you WAIT another two months!" You gain the most weight towards the end. Your baby is happy and growing!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You've had a rough go of it, and that you are on bed rest now is compounding your edema issues. The upside is that it is hopefully/probably *just* water, but it is uncomfortable nonetheless. Have you asked your doctor if there is anything you can do to lessen it (whether it's prescription diuretics or just something like lemon water(if in your list of safe foods/beverages))? What about gentle yoga moves (like legs up the wall) to help move the fluid in your legs?
  • elphie754
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You've had a rough go of it, and that you are on bed rest now is compounding your edema issues. The upside is that it is hopefully/probably *just* water, but it is uncomfortable nonetheless. Have you asked your doctor if there is anything you can do to lessen it (whether it's prescription diuretics or just something like lemon water(if in your list of safe foods/beverages))? What about gentle yoga moves (like legs up the wall) to help move the fluid in your legs?

I have a feeling she will say no to the yoga moves. Wil ask about a diuretic when I see her tomorrow.
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Everyone feels huge towards the end of pregnancy. It's normal and healthy. Remember you are growing a person! Worry less about weight loss :). If you've ever known a mom who lost a baby, especially towards the end, they will tell you not to sweat the weight gain. The baby is worth it.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The last trimester is when the baby puts on most of its own weight. And to support the baby's circulation, your blood volume must increase by 50%. Those two things can result in a lot of weight that isn't you.