Three questions.

Options
cambridgestylist
cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have MFP set for a two pounds a week weight loss. So far it's going really well. I feel like I'm eating enough and I'm consistently losing weight. I'm really happy with this program. I can't give it enough praise!

My questions:

1. If set for a two pound/week loss, how many calories off from maintenance are you being allocated?

2. I'm still really heavy for right now, and I'm given 1440 calories a day before exercise. Will this number change as I lose weight?

3. If it does change, is there anything I have to do in the settings, or will it reset automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1. too many variables. weight, height,goal weight, etc.
    2. yes
    3. you should receive a pop up notification every 10 pounds or so. i usually manually recalculate it though so im not positive how it works.it used to do that, though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    One pound equals 3500 calories, so two pounds loss per week means a daily deficitof 1000.

If you have let MFP set your calorie goal, it will adjust as you lose weight (every 5 or 10 pounds, I'm not sure, but it will if you haven't set it manually).
  • cambridgestylist
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that the program will reset on it's own. The less I have to think about, the better.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've never had that popup, so always err on the side of caution and just quickly reconfirm my goals periodically.
  • cambridgestylist
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds so far and nothing has changed. I'm losing, so it must still be the right goal.

It's good to hear both sides. If I don't get a pop up in the next twenty pounds, or if I stall for more than a few weeks, I will recheck my settings.

So far the 1440 goal has been totally doable. In the past when I tried to lose weight on my own I just picked 1200 and wrote everything down in a notebook. I was successful, but it was pretty miserable.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think it's about 50 calories per 10lbs (for females anyway) so at first it won't be a big deal, get 30-40lbs down and you're losing a good chuck of your daily deficit.
  • cambridgestylist
    Options
    I'll just have to continue to increase my exercise and change my as I goals as I go along so I can eat more. :smile:

I really am so thankful for MFP. I was already gaining weight, then I started taking a medication that increases hunger and sometimes slows metabolism. I basically exploded in a period of two months. When I last saw my doctor I talked about my concerns and told her about MFP. She was impressed by my early success with it.

I have a long way to go. In total I'm looking at a minimum of a hundred pounds. When I hit that goal I will still be technically overweight, but it's a weight I have been in the past that I was pretty happy, healthy and relatively athletic. I used to run long distance, unfortunately I probably won't get back to running as I took an injury to my ankle and every time I have tried to get back into running the injury flares up, even when I was lighter. :(
  • cambridgestylist
    Options
    Just an update. For the hell of it I double checked my settings. It all looked good so I didn't change anything but hit update anyway. I lost a hundred calories a day!

So I guess I will have to keep up with checking in on my settings every once in a while. For whatever reason, I didn't get any sort of pop-up notification.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had it pop up. I just recheck every 10 lbs.

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that won't want to keep a goal of 2lbs/week as you lose more weight. So while you may get less calories as you lose weight (because in theory a thinner body burns less naturally), you'll gain some of them back as you reset your rate of loss.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that won't want to keep a goal of 2lbs/week as you lose more weight. So while you may get less calories as you lose weight (because in theory a thinner body burns less naturally), you'll gain some of them back as you reset your rate of loss.

I've decided to just keep my calories the same and see what happens with the weight loss. Not even sure I'm going to bother resetting my goals, unless the red numbers really upset me.
  • cambridgestylist
    Options
    Thank you. I will likely change my weekly goals if it gets down to 1200 a day before exercise.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The only time I hot the pop up was when I lost 10lbs of water weight in 3 or 4 days. Mgp freaked out that I was losing too fast and prompted me to recalculate.