How important is it?

Options
FitRodr
FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
How important do you think it is to rest a few days a week from exercise? I always feel guilty when I don't and I miss it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Just listen to your body. It'll tell you when to rest. However, you should take atleast one rest day a week to allow your body to recover. If on your rest day you really feel like you need to move, you can do some light intensity walking. Just don't do anything too strenuous.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    It is extremely important to rest! It depends on how fit you are the number of days you need. At least one day a week.

Your body needs to recover and your body can only repair itself while at rest. Don't feel guilty at all!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I only take 1 day off a week but I love that day, it is very refreshing to me. If not you risk getting burnt out. If you are feeling fine though right now just keep going, but listen to your body!!
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I take one rest/recovery day per week. Some weeks that means no workouts, some weeks that means extended stretch. It really depends what kind of workouts you are doing. I'm doing P90X so I'm not using the same body parts on back to back days.

Elaine
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do one rest day a week, and once a month I take a "recovery week" where I only workout 3 days at about half normal intensity. I find it works very well, as usually in that recovery week I lose weight quickly (my body uses all the time to repair and drops any excess water weight) and really recharges me to get back to working out, and it's a perfect time to up my intensity on everything (increase weight, increase speed for cardio, etc.)