BMR Tool & Goal Setting

Options
I'm not sure I understand the whole BMR tool and how to set the calorie goal.

According to the BMR tool, my BMR is 1,571. I burn an average of 400 per day in exercise (if you take the weekly amount of 2786/7). I've been keeping my net calories to 1,400. (And I haven't been seeing any weight loss in the last month!) So is this telling me I need to increase my net calories to 1,971 average???

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I will not speak to whether or not you need to eat your exercise calories, but I will say this...

Your BMR is the amount of calories that you burn in a coma ... you should never eat under your BMR no matter what.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    I am not arguing the point of having to eat the BMR calories but my question is, why does MFP set my caloric intake per day lower than the BMR? My BMR is around 2,200, but MFP sets my calorie goal to 1,800...
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    YES! Exactly...this is so confusing! My BMR is 1571. Here is what my goals say now that I've upped my intake to 1575...
    Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 2,120 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,575 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 545 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.1 lbs/ week
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I am not arguing the point of having to eat the BMR calories but my question is, why does MFP set my caloric intake per day lower than the BMR? My BMR is around 2,200, but MFP sets my calorie goal to 1,800...

MFP is a "dumb tool". It's great, but it's a program. It does not know YOU, nor can it think for itself. All it can do is take the information you gave it (height, weight, target loss per week) and give you a rough number. It's only "fail safe" is that it won't let you go below 1200 calories per day without a manual override.

Research is vital to a healthy successful fitness journey.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump I took too long
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I love MFP...trust me I do!
    but even their BMR calculator is not 100% correct. The appropriate calculator for BMR is the Harris-Benedict equation ...

please see this website ...

www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr

They use the Harris-Benedict BMR which is correct ...

I have NO IDEA why MFP sets your calories lower than your BMR, but it does it all the time. My BMR is 1900 and it had me at 1700 ... even 2100 is a bit too low for me. I shoot for 2400 most days with a few days in the 2100.
    My weight loss is slow, but consistent... :)
  • marybsalmon
    Options
    Thanks! I just entered my info in the websie for Fat2FitRadio. It's pretty accurate to MFP's estimate of 1,571.

Custom BMR Calculation. Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio.

Entered information: 41 year old female, 70 inches tall, weighing 181 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 155 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1579 calories.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    if your eating your bmr and your not loseing weight girl friend your eating more than what you think or you are not exercising enough if you had diabeties the doctor would put you on a 1200 to1300 cal diet with exercise included try a exercise that will speed up your hart like do 20 jumping jacks than lift weights. you need to speed up your metabolism so you can burn those cals the reason you don't want drop down to 1200 cals yet is because of saggy skin and we would starve
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Thanks! I just entered my info in the websie for Fat2FitRadio. It's pretty accurate to MFP's estimate of 1,571.

Custom BMR Calculation. Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio.

Entered information: 41 year old female, 70 inches tall, weighing 181 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 155 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1579 calories.

Awesome -- yours is alot closer than mine was ... MFP had me at 1750 and F2F had me at 1900...

So did you figure out what you need to eat to get to your goal ... I eat between my activity level and the one just below me!
  • marybsalmon
    Options
    if your eating your bmr and your not loseing weight girl friend your eating more than what you think or you are not exercising enough if you had diabeties the doctor would put you on a 1200 to1300 cal diet with exercise included try a exercise that will speed up your hart like do 20 jumping jacks than lift weights. you need to speed up your metabolism so you can burn those cals the reason you don't want drop down to 1200 cals yet is because of saggy skin and we would starve

Up until today I've been eating only 1400 net calories and not lost hardly any weight for the past month. I've been exercising an average of 400 calories a day 5x/wk. So no, I was NOT eating my BMR. BMR has me at 1571 but I was only eating 1400. So today I've increased my calories to 1700. Hopefully that will get my metabolism going again...I must have been in a starvation mode and not realized it.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

Up until today I've been eating only 1400 net calories and not lost hardly any weight for the past month. I've been exercising an average of 400 calories a day 5x/wk. So no, I was NOT eating my BMR. BMR has me at 1571 but I was only eating 1400. So today I've increased my calories to 1700. Hopefully that will get my metabolism going again...I must have been in a starvation mode and not realized it.

Mary - this makes me sooo happy! You may see a slight gain for a period of time, but you have to fuel the machine. I have been telling people this for months and alot of people eventually listen. I have alot of friends who fought me on this but then when they did it, they lost weight. In fact as a joke I posted on my status
    "who of my friends is a member of the eat more, move more, lose more army and I got a ton of replies!" It does work ... wouldnt you wanna lose eating as much as possible, makes it that much easier to maintain!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love MFP...trust me I do!
    but even their BMR calculator is not 100% correct. The appropriate calculator for BMR is the Harris-Benedict equation ...

please see this website ...

www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr

They use the Harris-Benedict BMR which is correct ...

I have NO IDEA why MFP sets your calories lower than your BMR, but it does it all the time. My BMR is 1900 and it had me at 1700 ... even 2100 is a bit too low for me. I shoot for 2400 most days with a few days in the 2100.
    My weight loss is slow, but consistent... :)

I've been curious about this too. My BMR on MFP & the website you suggested is exactly the same. Just an FYI.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but...

Your BMR is your body's total energy expenditure in a day for just simple vital functions i.e. if you live a completely sedentary lifestyle IN ORDER TO STAY THE SAME WEIGHT you would need to eat your BMR in calories (if I am 6'0, 25 years old, male, and weigh 216 lb then I will need to eat 2,003 calories a day to STAY at 216 lbs).

This is where the deficit comes in. Most people here "are not interested in staying at their same weight" so if they eat LESS than their BMR calories then they will be putting fewer calories in than what is required to STAY THE SAME WEIGHT and their weight will go down.

I don't believe the BMR is how many calories your body needs to survive, I am pretty sure it is how much energy your body uses in a completely sedentary state to run all of your vital functions to stay your same weight.
  • baisleac
    Options

Your BMR is your body's total energy expenditure in a day for just simple vital functions i.e. if you live a completely sedentary lifestyle IN ORDER TO STAY THE SAME WEIGHT you would need to eat your BMR in calories (if I am 6'0, 25 years old, male, and weigh 216 lb then I will need to eat 2,003 calories a day to STAY at 216 lbs).

This is where the deficit comes in. Most people here "are not interested in staying at their same weight" so if they eat LESS than their BMR calories then they will be putting fewer calories in than what comes is required to STAY THE SAME weight and their weight will go down.

Your BMR is what your body would burn if you were in a coma... not getting out bed to go to the bathroom, not eating, nothing. It's the essential calories your body needs.

Even a sedentary lifestyle will add calories to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). It is your TDEE that is the base number to subtract your deficit from, NOT your BMR.
  • sh0ck
    Options

This is where the deficit comes in. Most people here "are not interested in staying at their same weight" so if they eat LESS than their BMR calories then they will be putting fewer calories in than what comes is required to STAY THE SAME weight and their weight will go down.

Your BMR is what your body would burn if you were in a coma... not getting out bed to go to the bathroom, not eating, nothing. It's the essential calories your body needs.

Even a sedentary lifestyle will add calories to your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). It is your TDEE that is the base number to subtract your deficit from, NOT your BMR.

If this is indeed the case then what is it that MFP calculates in the BMR calculator? As many people have said, if your BMR is how many calories you need to consume to simply survive then how is everyone assigned much less than their BMR to eat each day (e.g. my BMR according to MFP's calculator is 2,003. They have me consuming 1,750 without adding in my exercise calories). Wouldn't this mean that I should be dead?
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    when you exercise get the hart rate up, check your fat intake metablism burns high with exercise not with food it dosent mean anything how much you eat or how littel it matters how much the old hart has to work to pump the blood to give you energy to move i do my bmr witch is 1734 because my eating is out of control and i could not stay on 1200 cals with out eating twice as much when i lose a pound i drop my cals 1734 is the lowest at my weight that means i would have to be in a coma not to drop weight eat what you fill good at don't eat more cals than what you need and if you dont drop weight speed that hart up get the ticker a ticking if i could eat 1200 cals i would
  • baisleac
    Options

If this is indeed the case then what is it that MFP calculates in the BMR calculator? As many people have said, if your BMR is how many calories you need to consume to simply survive then how is everyone assigned much less than their BMR to eat each day (e.g. my BMR according to MFP's calculator is 2,003. They have me consuming 1,750 without adding in my exercise calories). Wouldn't this mean that I should be dead?
    MFP is a "dumb tool". It's great, but it's a program. It does not know YOU, nor can it think for itself. All it can do is take the information you gave it (height, weight, target loss per week) and give you a rough number. It's only "fail safe" is that it won't let you go below 1200 calories per day without a manual override.

Consistent undereating will slow your metabolism. It's not an instant "death sentence"
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

This is where the deficit comes in. Most people here "are not interested in staying at their same weight" so if they eat LESS than their BMR calories then they will be putting fewer calories in than what is required to STAY THE SAME WEIGHT and their weight will go down.

I don't believe the BMR is how many calories your body needs to survive, I am pretty sure it is how much energy your body uses in a completely sedentary state to run all of your vital functions to stay your same weight.

Well since you asked... I must correct you because you are wrong.
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body needs to carry out basic functions, brain function, digestion, heart beats etc.
    You are not in a coma... even the most sedentary person moves their arms and legs a little bit and thus increases what they will need to maintain their current weight.
    The average sedentary person needs to multiply their BMR x 1.2 to get what they would need to maintain ... but we are not sedentary so this likely does not apply to us.

I was training for a half marathon at 249 pounds. I was exercising like crazy and not losing a thing. It wasnt until I increased my calories to well over my BMR that I started losing. You have to fuel the machine if you want it to perform.
    In the last 2 months I have consistently lost 1pounds or so a week ... without crazily modifying my diet and eating about 2400 calories or so...
  • sh0ck
    Options

Consistent undereating will slow your metabolism. It's not an instant "death sentence"

Hmmmm......

I'm glad I came across this topic...I am going to have to rethink/recalculate some of my goals then (possibly manually). Thanks for the very eye-opening info!