How many hours of sleep do you get? Is it really relevant to weight loss?

Options
In the past I noticed when I get 8 hrs, vs 5 hrs I see better weight loss results the next morning.

Example: I weighed myself in the morning one day with 5 hours of sleep there was no change, then I went back to sleep for another 2 hrs then weighed myself and saw a 2 lb difference?

So now I'm a firm believer in getting plenty of sleep.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was the sleep...don't get me wrong, sleep is important to overall health...but body weight fluctuates wildly throughout the day and day to day and weight loss isn't a linear thing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you also went to the bathroom both times... that's likely where the weight loss came from.

Don't know if it helps in the sense of your metabolism or anything, but my personal experience is that, if I'm lacking sleep & tired, I'm more likely to overeat.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations happen.

Too little sleep can cause stress hormones to increase which increases hunger. Increased hunger causes some to not stick to their calorie goal.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    To put it simply, adequate sleep is relevant to overall health, not just weight loss. There are so many benefits of getting adequate sleep and the effects on metabolism and weight are only a piece of the puzzle.

Your example, however, was probably coincidental. I don't believe you can lose two pounds just by sleeping an extra two hours. That was probably just a fluke.

To answer your question, I always aim for at least 7 hours. But, I usually end up with 8 or 9 hours of sleep on average.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I often wake up at 5:30 on a Saturday, go to the bathroom, weigh myself, drink a glass of water, go back to bed, and when I repeat the wake up routine at 8:00 when I get up for the day I'm down .5-1 pound from 2.5 hours before. I've always thought that drinking the glass of water cause me to lose more weight on the second trip to the bathroom than I took in via water the first time. The weight the second time is usually what has match the overall trend in the previous few days, not necessarily a new low.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've noticed the same phenomenon. I think it has to do with water retention. I find on nights when I get crap sleep (less than 5-6 hours) my wieght is either the same as it was at bedtime (I do sometimes weigh at the end of the day out of curiosity) or even a lb or two higher. If I get adequate sleep (6-8 hours for me), it's back down to where it should be. I don't know why I retain water when I'm tired, but I do.

That said, any "gain" (or lack of loss) is corrected within a day or two of getting better sleep.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    whats this thing you call sleep? 5 hours for me- actually ASLEEP and not tossing turning or lying awake is unheard of. which is also why i laugh at my fitbit every morning when it tells me i slept 6 hours. yeeeeeeah. ok. LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

lost 80 pounds in 2 years.

yes i need more sleep. maybe it would help maybe not but.... my body is, apparently, anti-sleep LOL
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeping poorly for weeks now and cannot determine the cause.

In the past I could sleep 9-10 hours if left alone to do so, but anymore I am lucky to get 5.

For me lack of sleep = less patience, less clarity and decreased decision making skills. This shows in less than stellar meal and snacking choices.

My weight loss has slowed significantly but I am also less than 20 pounds from goal so it is likely to be slower now anyway.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Even if you eat the exact same diet as your friend, if you're not getting the sleep your body needs, you won't drop as much fat as them. A recent study from the University of Chicago compared the weight-loss results from sleeping eight and a half hours per night versus only five and a half hours per night - from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLtPvfps_RAhXnyVQKHfguD_EQFgglMAI&url=http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/sleep-weight-loss&usg=AFQjCNE7-Utx2YtvsrrsjhMOJlT0blEHJg&sig2=ksxMFLivbZQWjxmJ6I5fbg
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No sleep = no weight loss for me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Sleep is crucial for me to keep my NEAT up (non-exercise activity thermogenesis; the calories I burn by standing up, walking places, playing with my kids, etc.) When I don't get enough sleep, my activity level suffers. Also, lack of sleep = elevated cortisol levels = water retention.

That said, what you observed was likely just a factor of peeing out and/or exhaling some extra water weight. A typical person "loses" about 5 pounds between going to bed at night and their morning post-pee weigh-in.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When you are sleep deprived, you are hungrier. It's ghrelin levels.

Sleep well and you'll have a better chance at not being hungry.

As far as the extra few hours and the drop? Idk. If I get on my scale 3 times in 10 minutes it's not uncommon to see a 1-3 pound variation.

Track the trend!

ETA- I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep. It's poor though.
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good, sleep is the most important thing in weight loss, mental health, stress levels on and on. So important that sports teams around the world monitor and force breaks, sleep rest to ensure players stay at the top.
    The link is real to obesity and lack of sleep. Reports and grouping of various sleep studies have found not sleep will give you about 385 add calories to your diet each day. Link
    I know from experience in the military and after that sleep = to weight gain, confusion and lack of care.
    The weight loss is due either to fluid or you are eating so little your body is starting to cannibalize your muscle tissue. Happens a lot in weight lifters.
    So yes, quantity and quality of sleep do matter. Its how your brain uses the newly discovered central nervous system lymphatic vessels to get rid of toxins and inflammation. That is why you feel foggy and almost drunk when you are awake for a few days. Link from PopSci

hope it helps
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I tend to get around 8-9 hours a night. I have insomnia, but I am medicated for it so I do sleep pretty well. I have noticed that when I don't sleep well, I am more stressed which can lead to water retention and stress eating. This is only my personal experience.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Just a comment about losing weight through exhaling. This is true, but only when you exert effort. You cannot just sit on the couch and breathe. That doesn't produce fat loss. Exhaling through exercise or effort of some sort produces that effect. But, yes. The majority of weight loss comes out of your breath in the form of, I think, C02. There's an interesting Ted Talk about it. You can google it if interested. It's pretty fascinating.

Of course you burn more calories when moving vigorously. But the calories you burn just by being alive (BMR) also leave your body mostly by exhalation - even when you're just sitting on the couch, or sleeping.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I normally lose 2lbs during the night regardless of how much sleep I get.

But that being said, lack of sleep can impact weight loss. If you are tired it is harder to resist temptation. Being tired is a form of stress and stress eaters will tend to eat more when they are tired. And lack of sleep can cause you to move less throughout the day, resulting in fewer calories burned than you would burn if you had sleep.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, when I am exhausted or sleep deprived I drink extra coffee which seems to make me less hungry!! Not sure that rule applies universally.