Disheartening and sad /rant

Options
2»

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    My swelling got ridiculous at the end. I sat with my feet up for five days after the doctor wrote me out of work, and then it finally started to come off and I lost 5 pounds. No worries. Water weight will go away quickly upon birth. In the meantime, just drink plenty of water and put your feet up when you can. You'll be fine!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Everyone has pretty much said it all. I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. You're almost done! This last little bit is hard both emotionally and physically and you've already had such a hard go of it. Your belly gets bigger, the water piles on, and the hormones make for some crazy emotions. You're so close and when you deliver your emotions will change in an instant when you see your baby. I think most women go through this mental struggle with weight towards the end. I don't know how one couldn't. Baby is growing so so much!

If it encourages you at all, I gained 50#'s with my first baby. She was 9#'s 3oz at birth. I walked out of the hospital 24hrs later having lost 40#'s. I only had 10#'s to lose from the entire pregnancy. I hold a TON of water. You really will lose the water pretty fast after the birth. I'll tell you what I did, but I can't necessarily recommend it for you b/c your health is different then mine. The hospital gave me a 32oz. container of concentrated cranberry juice. Immediately following the birth and for the first 24hrs I drank nothing but diluted cranberry juice. I ate very very little. I so wanted to get rid of my elephant ankles! LOL! All I did for that 24hrs was pee. :p Can't say it's the healthiest but I was so done being water logged! :s Your body isn't going to hold all that fluid for long.

Maybe spend this next little while watching lots of funny movies and reading funny books? Humor is a good thing when we are discouraged. If you can get your hands on Art Linkletter's book Kids Say the Darndest Things you will laugh until you're wetting your pants (and thus expending water! ;) ). It would be a great pick you up! :)

Here you go. https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Say-Darndest-Things-Linkletter/dp/1587612496/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484844104&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=art+lnkletter+children+say+the+darndest+things

You're almost there.....hang on!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. ((HUGS))
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I remember that my OB told me that most of my weight gain at the end was fluid retention and baby growing (something like .5 lb per week??). I had three babies, the smallest was 9lbs 4oz. Give yourself time, and stay off the scale, something the MDs here rely too much on. Look at the big picture and see where you want to be six months post baby. I'll bet you're there, or super close :heart:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes - baby and fluid. I gained 50 lbs with each of my four kids. I remember that I lost about 15 lbs with each by the time I left the hospital (babies were 8lb 4 oz, 9lb 2oz, 8lb 5oz, and 7lb 1oz, respectively). Don't remember the time frame so much with the first three, but with my youngest I'd dropped a total of 20 lbs by the time she was two weeks old, and another 10 by my six week check up. Your body can hold craaaaazzzzzy amouts of water when pregnant!

Get off the scale. Don't get back on until at least a month after delivery (better yet, wait till your six week check up!). You're in the home stretch. I know it feels like it takes forever, but it really is almost over! (Hugs)

Edit - just a tip - after the baby is born, sleep with a towel under you (unless you want to do tons of laundry). You will have night sweats like you wouldn't believe! It's all that water leaving.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I think I will be hiding the scale lol.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Is this your first pregnancy? You'll be shocked at how much fluid /weight you'll lose at delivery and the few days after :)

I lost 25 pounds between my last pre-natal checkup, a week before I gave birth, and my post-partum check-up. Eight pounds, eight ounces of that was actual baby.

However, and this is important: I developed pre-eclampsia in my last trimester, which accounted for most of my weight gain and moved my pregnancy to high-risk status immediately. Please discuss weight gain with your obstetrician, not with the internet. It could be serious.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was obese and put on about 22pds with each child. My first child I put on only 10pds up to 30 weeks and then another 10 by 35 weeks (she was born early). I didnt weigh myself again until about 1 week after giving birth and I had lost 20pds.

2nd child was a more steady weight gain all the weight through rather than heaps at the end, I only put on about 2 pounds in the last 5 weeks and when we went home 4 days later it was all gone again. I apparently looked huge during this preg but that might just be because I hung out for the whole 9 months this time.

I actually didnt bother weighing when I went home the 3rd time, I had my hands full with the kids but I know when I started exercising about 3 months later I was pretty close to pre-pregnancy weight.

Someone else I know put on a lot of weight really quickly and then stayed pretty steady for the last 2 months. Everyone reacts differently to preg. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

The best rule of thumb I have heard is not to weigh yourself till you stop postpartum bleeding, which will be different for everyone but gives you an idea of when your body is beginning to get back to normal.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few of your recent posts, you know what to do as far as eating. Keeping that under control in these last few weeks is going to be rough. If you feel this is edema, definitely make sure you discuss this with your doctor, sudden edema can be a red flag. Keep taking of yourself and growing your precious baby
  • elphie754
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I've seen a few of your recent posts, you know what to do as far as eating. Keeping that under control in these last few weeks is going to be rough. If you feel this is edema, definitely make sure you discuss this with your doctor, sudden edema can be a red flag. Keep taking of yourself and growing your precious baby

She ran a whole bunch of tests but everything came back fine.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I think this is the best idea. You are working really hard to grow a healthy baby in there.. and that's an amazing thing that not everyone is able to do. Be kind to yourself and don't waste energy worrying about things that are completely beyond your control at this point.
  • elphie754
    edited January 2017
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

I think this is the best idea. You are working really hard to grow a healthy baby in there.. and that's an amazing thing that not everyone is able to do. Be kind to yourself and don't waste energy worrying about things that are completely beyond your control at this point.

I know. Gave scale to my male SO to hide it because if I know where it is, I'd likely take it out again.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I will say, as a general lurker but very much a well-wisher in your threads, when I saw this thread title my heart sank through my feet. I'm glad things are going as well as they can be!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Once you have had a talk with your doctors stop worrying and enjoy your pregnancy
    I was obese whilst pregrant, I even remember random strangers telling me how massive I was, was I having twins
    My daughter was almost 9 pounds, lots of fluid, and that placenta looked massive
    Your on mfp you will be just fine once baby is born
    Best of luck