Elliptical

Options
Ive been using the elliptical 70-80 minutes twice a week. It definitely has worked, but afterwards I am alway sore (not the goid "pain is gain soreness).

My speed is always up there, but I think thats where the problem lies.

What is the best way to use the elliptical to lose weight as I have read that the soreness I am getting is my body saying "too much". I am looking to cut the workout to 65 minutes, but not sacrifice a lot of calories/ fat loss.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you only use it twice a week, it's having little affect on your weight loss... look at you deficit from food for that.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could increase the level of resistance substantially to burn more calories in a shorter period of time. Doing that may not necessarily help with your issues of soreness though. Otherwise, you could do it more frequently for a shorter period of time.

Another option may be to limit the use on the elliptical, but spend more time doing something else that utilizes different muscles.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I would be sore if I used an elliptical for 70-80 minutes at a time too. Yikes. (My legs usually tighten up and get uncomfortable after about 15 minutes at moderate intensity/resistance).
    Did you work up to this, or just up and start using it for that long? New exercise will definitely make you sore.
    I really enjoy the elliptical, but I usually try to do other things since I've noticed too much elliptical time does bother me. Some days I'll walk at an incline or row instead of using the elliptical.
    As mentioned above, it may help you to break it up into shorter time periods.
    And, focus on your food/calorie intake for weightloss.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain are we talking about? Joint pain? Muscle pain? Maybe if you're going too fast your form is bad. I know, seems hard to do on an elliptical but it can happen.

I agree with increasing the resistance and reducing your time.

Also, have you tried other cardio machines? Mixing it up is good so as to not get an over use injury and to keep in interesting.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Reducing time, increasing resistance, I also do a 4:1 interval, which means for 4 minutes I push myself, then do a relax pace for 1 minute. The elliptical can be great but I feel like it makes you stiff and I end being more sore from it than running.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you only use it twice a week, it's having little affect on your weight loss... look at you deficit from food for that.

Its in addition to other workouts too
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    usually when I do the 70-80 minutes I do

10 mins- resistance 1- warm up
    I then switch between resistance 2, 3, and 4 throughout the workout to change it up.
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    Is there not much difference if I do 60-65minutes than 80?