Gallon a day?

Options
I've heard several different assumptions to water intake during dieting.

I've heard 8 glasses, a gallon a day (what I currently do), some calculation of ounces to your weight.

What do you do? Does anybody follow any type of water "rule"?

Replies

• cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me to take your weight and half it and drink that many ounces. I weigh 150, so I need to drink 75 ounces a day. She said that eating fruit and watery food counts as some so it does not have to be exact, but to aim for that. She also said my pee should be clear.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 13-15 glasses throughout the day just because I like water, including a glass before I eat something (leftover Army habit). Whenever I walk into the kitchen I try to drink one, and two during/after a workout.
  • 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just stay hydrated...look at your pee...if it's pale yellow to clear, you are hydrated. Everything else is just a general guideline...you may or may not need a gallon per day...just stay hydrated.

I second this. Except I'd add that if it's perfectly clear, drink a little less because you're over hydrating and that can be just as bad as dehydrating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, this is what matters:

2ed52b47fe5e769bdac307d7284b1dee.jpg

All of the different rules out there are just different ways to be sure you get there. What matters is how much you find you need to take in based on your real world experience.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I just drink when I'm thirsty. It hasn't been a problem for me. The times when I wind up dehydrated, I can feel it coming on, but I can't do anything about it. On the other hand, my girlfriend is never thirsty. She drinks water because she knows she has to, but left to her own devices, she just won't.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah you go by the color of your urine. If it's a light yellow color you're good.

I drink maybe a total of 4-5 cups of water, then I have like 2-3 cups of tea a day. For a normal day, that's plenty. If it's hot outside, I usually bump that up to 6-7 cups of water, but it depends on how active I am.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It's also worth pointing out that coffee and tea count towards your daily water intake. The diuretic effect of caffeine is more than offset by the amount of water in coffee and tea. ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The color of your urine is NOT always an accurate indicator of good hydration. I find that I do need a gallon of water a day. This includes my coffee, tea, milk, or anything else I would drink. I fell into the habit of not drinking enough. I was hungry a lot. Thirst can be misinterpreted as hunger if you aren't hydrated well enough. I was much less tired after getting into the habit of staying hydrated. Listening to my body wasn't helping me a bit as I never felt thirsty no matter how little I ever drank. If you think your thirst signals may be failing then I would keep track of how many cups of fluids you get each day. If I don't keep track I forget.
  • agirlnamedgod
    agirlnamedgod Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I had kidney stones...twice and was advised by my consultant to drink 3 litres a day. He said "You urine should be the colour of fine champagne" (like I have any idea what fine champagne looks like) then he added "but if it starts to fizz come back and see me"

I probably still don't drink 3 litres but do try to be mindful of my water intake.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It's also worth pointing out that coffee and tea count towards your daily water intake.

As do any liquids such as soda, milk and juice. :)
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

All of the different rules out there are just different ways to be sure you get there. What matters is how much you find you need to take in based on your real world experience.

I'm so glad you posted this! I drink 12 cups of water a day and have noticed my pee is bright orange but I don't feel dehydrated...now iwonder it its the vitamins I just started.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It's also worth pointing out that coffee and tea count towards your daily water intake.

As do any liquids such as soda, milk and juice. :)

Indeed! But sadly, beer and whisky do not count. :'(
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't need another thing to keep track of. Haven't died yet.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If my pee is almost clear, I'm good. If not, I drink more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I look at my pee, and drink water when I'm thirsty.

I always have 40 ounces when I wake up.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm so glad you posted this! I drink 12 cups of water a day and have noticed my pee is bright orange but I don't feel dehydrated...now iwonder it its the vitamins I just started.

Yes, some vitamins will affect urine colour, especially those containing riboflavin (B2).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Word. When I get too much B12 my pee is like neon.