Converting our own recipes serving size concerns.

Options
Oh boy where do I start....

16 oz Barilla Rigatoni Pasta
16 oz Beef, ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, patty, cooked, broiled [hamburger, ground round]
16 oz Mozzarella Cheese, part skim milk
2.5 cup Ragu Traditional Spaghetti Sauce (tomato sauce)
6 tsp Cheese (Grated) - Parmesan Cheese - Kraft 100%

That's my recipe. From my math it's 85 ounces. If I were to put 85 servings in the calculator it comes out as 52.2 calories per ounce does that seem right or am I doing this all wrong.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pasta weight is different dry versus cooked. You can't really go by weight when you weigh the pasta before and try to divide the recipe after.
  • Ceeceeann
    Ceeceeann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Put all that in the recipe builder. When it's done cooking weigh it (subtract the weight of the dish/pot). Then say it weighs 500 grams - Put it as 500 servings. Weigh your portion. If you ate 100 grams log you had 100 servings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Things don't weigh the same when cooked, so enter everything raw (if possible) then weigh everything cooked, and put that as the amount of servings.
  • Ceeceeann
    Options
    Now I know why people just eat everything prepackaged at least you already know the nutrition label
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Ceeceeann wrote: »
    Now I know why people just eat everything prepackaged at least you already know the nutrition label

I tend to cook individual servings. Even packaging is not entirely accurate. You can buy something that says a serving is 32 grams and there's one serving, but then you weigh it and it's 40 grams.
  • Ceeceeann
    Options
    True I noticed that now that I own a food scale
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

This isn't necessary at all. The recipe builder tool is designed for exactly this purpose.

Enter your raw ingredients to get the total calories for the recipe. When you eat it you can either take the total weight of your finished dish and work our your serving size from there (eg 100g serving of 400g total weight), or you can state that it makes four portions and eat 1/4 of the finished dish.

It's really not hard!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I use the recipe builder, I just put in how many servings it makes (sometimes having to guess a bit). Seems simple enough to me!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

It really isn't that difficult. Do it once and as long as you follow the recipe it will be close enough for future batches. Also realize prepacked stuff is often wrong. By that I mean say a pre-made frozen dinner may say that one of them is say 300 calories, but if you compare the weigh you quickly realize that many of them weigh far more than they are supposed to, largely because in most places companies will be fined for having less than they say will be in the package, but generally if they are over that is fine. In other words, you still have difficulties even with prepackaged meals.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do as mentioned above...put recipe in mfp, weigh finished product (minus pot or dish)...if it weighs 200 grams then put 200 servings. If I eat 20 grams then I log 20 servings...simple ;) Of course there are always going to be small variations I can't control but that's life, right??
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

This isn't necessary at all. The recipe builder tool is designed for exactly this purpose.

Enter your raw ingredients to get the total calories for the recipe. When you eat it you can either take the total weight of your finished dish and work our your serving size from there (eg 100g serving of 400g total weight), or you can state that it makes four portions and eat 1/4 of the finished dish.

It's really not hard!

Exactly this. I do not weigh anything if I'm making it from my own recipe. I just put in all my ingredients, decide how many servings I want to get out of the dish (usually, I just do this by putting in the different amounts until I hit a good equilibrium between amount of food, calories, and how many days I can stretch the dish out for lol) and then I just eat what I'm allotted on each day until the food is gone. It is also really helpful if you have multiple tupperwares and can pre-portion everything out that same day.

So I may make a pot of chili, put the raw ingredients into the calculator, decide that I want 10 servings of chili out of it, put that into the recipe calculator, portion out ten tupperwares with equal amounts of chili, and away I go. I can eat my tupperware full of food for a meal, put a single serving size into my diary and not have to worry about it.

Once you get the hang of it, it's simple, fast and easy. Basically the same effort of eating prepackaged, if you count the time you spend shopping for packaged meals that are actually nutritious and not too high in sodium lol.
  • Ceeceeann
    Options
    Sorry you felt my post wasn't nessecary but I needed help I thought that was the purpose of forums but apparently not
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

It's really not hard!

That is what I do. I never weighted the cooked meal; the pot would not fit on top of the scale and it would probably burn it too, but above all, and in my opinion, it will be an overkill.

For soups and stews one serving = two full ladles (what ever that is in grams).

For chili and meatloaf I always use 16lbs ground of beef or turkey and I know that I will get me four servings, regardless of the weight. If they are too big or if I don't want to eat the full serving, then I just log what I ate (1/2 or 1/4 serving).

Nothing in life is precise so why worry about it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sorry you felt my post wasn't nessecary but I needed help I thought that was the purpose of forums but apparently not

No one said your post wasn't necessary, she said eating nothing but packaged food isn't necessary. The recipe builder can be a bit of a pain in the butt but once you find your way around it, it's by far the best way to work out calories for recipes. You got some really good advice here :)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

I didn't mean your post was not necessary... but that only eating prepackaged food wasn't necessary!

Oh. what Alatariel said.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Except it can be off by 30%... so you're actually better off cooking from scratch.