Running on the treadmill?

Options
How hard is it to run on the treadmill? I hate running and I'm horrible at running but I want to get better and learn to incorporate it in my cardio ...how slow can I go on the treadmill to start off? And any tips for a starter?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I actually ran track for my first two years in high school. I hated it so much that I quit. Cardio is often a grind and it can get pretty boring at times. From personal experience, I know that if I hate the form of cardio I'm doing, I'm not at all likely to do it consistently enough to reap the benefits. If you hate running as much as I do (and it sounds like you might), then I'd suggest you choose a different form of cardio.

That said, if you're hellbent on running on a treadmill, a good rule of thumb is to start at the slowest speed and slowly increase the speed until you land on pace that still allows you to comfortably carry on a conversation without too much huffing or puffing. There are programs like Couch to 5K (C25K) that are designed to help you progress your running to the point of being able to run a 5k. That will probably be a good place for you to start.

Also keep in mind that running on a treadmill is even more boring than running out in the world, because you're forced to stare at same damn thing for the duration of your run. As you can tell, I really hate running. :)
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The treadmill can go a turtle's pace so it can definitely go slow enough for anyone.

To make the time go faster, you could read, watch tv, or listen to music.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill daily. I am slowly doing intervals and working up to running a distance. I'm not following c25k but I am doing a very similar idea.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I agree with Caferacer. If you hate running, try to find something you do enjoy to do instead. Dance, bike, hike, skate, swim, martial arts, etc. Lots of options.

I also agree that running on a TM is a lot more boring than running outside.

That said, if you really want to be a runner, start by walking on the TM at 3 mph. Gradually increase the pace until you find yourself jogging instead of walking. For me that's about 4.5 mph but it may be slower for you. Try running for a while at that pace that's just above a walk.

You can do C25k if you want, or just try jogging as long as you can and then slow back to a walk until you have your breath back and then go back to the slow jog pace.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Look up treadmill running plans for beginners.

I run and I still hate the treadmill, and dread it when I HAVE to use it to run. I did download virtual running on a tablet, I listen to music too while running the virtual active..

If you hate any form of cardio, why do it? I do not think it is something sustainable if you do not enjoy your form of exercise.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was an avid treadmill runner until about a year ago....,then I got lazy, but I'm back at it. I highly recommend the C25K app by Zen labs. It's free. It builds you up to be able to run a 5k. The workout starts off easy and intensifiy gradually. I currently walk at a 3.5 mph pace and run at a 5 mph.
  • cmed24
    cmed24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have learned to love the treadmill when forced inside. It took a long time, there are apps out there to help, I use Aaptiv. It has workouts with music and coaching right in your ear, takes the guess work out and the time flies by.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    start by walking on the TM at 3 mph. Gradually increase the pace until you find yourself jogging instead of walking. For me that's about 4.5 mph but it may be slower for you. Try running for a while at that pace that's just above a walk.

That.