NSV - Finished Couch to 5k!

Options
trinity77
trinity77 Posts: 35 Member
yesterday i ran my first 5k ever! i started the couch to 5k program 9 weeks ago and at that point i was out of breath after 60 seconds of running! yesterday i ran for over 40 minutes straight.

i'm so pleased that i stuck with it as i'm now loving it. i've got a 10k planned for the end of september so i'm going to be starting the bridge to 10k program tomorrow.

Replies

• sonamae80
    sonamae80 Posts: 5
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on Week 4 of the C25K program and will be running my 1st 5K in either September or October! You are an inspiration!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
  • trinity77
    Options
    i've also lost 11 lbs since starting the program. i've been keeping my net calories to roughly 1,200. i really enjoy being able to eat my exercise calories back! lol
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nice job, I am on week 4 this week. I am finding it hard to ...go faster though. I seriously job at a homerun jog pace lol... but hey at least its a jog. Again, good job!
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206
    Options
    I want to do this program, but it does seem difficult as a starter program
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Job well done!! I'm wanting to try it...
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bravo I was so pround when I did my 1st!!!:drinker:
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! :) Well done!
  • _Rosie_
    _Rosie_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Awesome, way to go! :)
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    I want to do this program, but it does seem difficult as a starter program

I am on week 5 day 2 of C25k...I have NEVER been a runner. The last time I went running before starting this program was in Elementary school when they make you and even still I was one of "those kids" that did 13min and walked most of it. After doing this program (at least as far as I've gone so far) I am convinced that ANYONE can become a runner. It just takes committment and hard work. I got my committment by registering for a 5k race in September....I've heard week 5 is the tough one for most that do this program and so far I feel like I'm kicking its butt!! I'm totally jazzed at my progress even if I do run just as fast as I walk (seriously...I checked) Speed will come (or so I keep telling myself).

Congrats on finishing it!!! Week 9 seems so far away and yet I can see it in my sights. Its such an accomplishment and you should be SO PROUD!!!
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I did C25K in the fall and it's seriously amazing. When I started, I couldn't make it all the way through the first workout (8x 60 seconds run, 90 seconds walk). Now, I'm running 3-4 miles on a regular basis (usually 3x a week). I'm still slow, but I don't care. It's more important to be running.

For the people with concerns about C25K, don't be worried. The program builds you up slowly. It's really designed for people who are used to sitting on the couch. I'd NEVER been a runner (starting fabricating excuses to get out of running the mile in 8th grade and kept it up through high school) but this program changed my mind. There are some days when you look at the plan and think that it's impossible. But just try it. If you get tired, SLOW DOWN. The number one problem with new runners is that they go out too fast. I'm slow but consistent. And that's what matters.

I also recommend getting an app for your iPod. It will tell you when to start/stop running and some of them give you encouragement in the middle. I used GetRunning and it was great.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You are an inspiration for the rest of us. I'm starting Week 3 tonight and and I plan on doing my very first 5K in September.
  • Gaia85
    Gaia85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing! Very Inspiring! I just finished week 2 and I'm starting to get nervous. While I can complete the run thus far, I'm skeptically at my ability to do 3 min in a row next week (I know, it doesn't seem like much but I have never run).
  • tomorrowisnotpromised
    tomorrowisnotpromised Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • trinity77
    Options
    thanks guys!!!

to those of you who've been thinking about trying out Couch to 5k just do it! it builds up slowly, believe me you will be able to run for 30 minutes straight by the end of 8 weeks. if i can, so can anyone! lol.

first day of bridge to 10k today too! woohoo, i can do this.
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Well done. I finished the programme as well. Feels amazing to be able to run for 30-40 mins straight whereas in may I could hardly do 60 seconds
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I have one more run and then I will have completed C25K too!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    YAY way to go!!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Thank you for the inspiration.

To prove the program is good for beginners I myself being a lazy fat out of shape person did day 1 today and accidently did the jogging at 90 seconds and the walking at 60 instead of the other way around and did just fine! I ran the jogging at 5.5 mph and the walking at 3.0 mph. If I can do it like that and feel just fine right now I know for sure that this is a legitimate and beginner friendly program. I'm very excited to do the 8 weeks and run in my grandfather's 5k in September! :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm a c25k grad!!! for the doubters- you can run for 60 secs!!! you only have to do it once to believe you can do it. just push through it and you'll get there.

when i started i was 225lbs and completely self conscious. now i'm about 190lbs and have ran several 10ks......... without stopping! for me, that's 75 or so minutes of non-stop running.

the running bug has truly got me now. it's just part of my life. it's my head-space time. i feel so much better after a run.

and i'm training to run a half marathon in october!!! i figure if i can run for 10ks without stopping, then surely i can do 21!

but that's awesome! well done for completing the c25k. keep it up- 10ks isn't THAT much further!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!