Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on refeed days if you're interested

http://www.kylehuntfitness.com/refeed-overeating-to-enhance-fat-loss/

if his degree was in nutrition I might buy into refeed days for non body builders...but otherwise no.

and Yes I know what they are I have a lot of friends who are doing or have done shows in the last month or two and I know what they do and go through and it doesn't apply here..

she is a woman who is overweight diabetic on meds and consulting 2 doctors...who are giving her conflicting information...she has more to worry about that adaptive thermogenisis trust me.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

if his degree was in nutrition I might buy into refeed days for non body builders...but otherwise no.

and Yes I know what they are I have a lot of friends who are doing or have done shows in the last month or two and I know what they do and go through and it doesn't apply here..

she is a woman who is overweight diabetic on meds and consulting 2 doctors...who are giving her conflicting information...she has more to worry about that adaptive thermogenisis trust me.

You've got a point there.
    But you don't think non-body builders can benefit from refeeds and diet breaks? What else are average folks supposed to do when their metabolism slows down from being in a deficit for a while?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But you don't think non-body builders can benefit from refeeds and diet breaks? What else are average folks supposed to do when their metabolism slows down from being in a deficit for a while?

I personally think that diet breaks and refeeds are not necessary for us and our metabolism...mental health for sure.

As for helping to not slow it's hard as it slows as you lose weight that is a fact...for me I exercise and tried to maintain as much muscle as I could while losing weight by doing resistance training and eating enough protein...

I think that is the best you can do...

If you want to eat more food earn it with exercise...otherwise...you gain weight...those are the facts...
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

I personally think that diet breaks and refeeds are not necessary for us and our metabolism...mental health for sure.

As for helping to not slow it's hard as it slows as you lose weight that is a fact...for me I exercise and tried to maintain as much muscle as I could while losing weight by doing resistance training and eating enough protein...

I think that is the best you can do...

If you want to eat more food earn it with exercise...otherwise...you gain weight...those are the facts...

Well we definitely agree on the resistance training and protein!!
  • ac2662
    ac2662 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

ac2662 wrote: »
    I weigh all my food in grams and have my calories set at 1400 but usually eat about 1300. I know I probably don't drink as much water as I should, which is something I struggle with. The other thing I have concern with is one of my Dr's told me no fruit due to the insulin resistance, but the other said fruit is ok, so I am a little confused in that regard. I do exercise but it's sporadic, I pretty much get it in when I can which can range anywhere from 1 to 4 days a week. I work graveyard and do all my errands as well as driving my kids to all their things throughout the day so consistent exercise is difficult.

I have to ask why 2 doctors...
    2nd exercise doesn't guarantee weight loss either....
    next question is have you lost absolutely no weight or are you losing a couple then gaining it back? or losing 1/2lb here and there?

1400 is probably giving you a small deficit so you might not see massive losses but if you are under a doctors care and given a special diet perhaps talk to them to get a referral to a Registered dietitian as most doctors do not have enough study in nutrition but RD's do.

Hi, the two different doctors happened on accident. The first dr is my obgyn who ordered labs as part of my yearly exam. He was the one who prescribed me a low carb diet and phentermine. The second dr was my primary who also ordered labs for my physical, and then prescribed me the metformin. As far as weight loss goes it's more of the lose 1/2 - 1lb and gain it back, but I just took that as my weight fluctuations not actual gains/ losses. I tried to find a dietician in my area through my insurance, but it seems that there weren't any local to me. But I'm at the point now I might have to make the 45 minute drive to the nearest one, because these two doctors have me confused. With the opposing info.
  • ac2662
    Options
    Have you checked your measurements? Sometimes the number on the scale doesn't move but the inches do.
    Measurements are actually something that I have not done. I think I'll pull out my measuring tape and get some measurements today and try to monitor them just to see.
  • ac2662
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I weigh all my food in grams and have my calories set at 1400 but usually eat about 1300.

Either you're one of the X-Men and your superpower is not losing weight, or you're taking in more than you think you are. Physics doesn't allow another choice.

Also, "usually" and "about" are weasel words, suggesting that you don't know how many calories you're eating.

According to my Dr's the insulin resistance makes it a lot harder than the average person to lose weight. So maybe that combined with the stall in weight loss does in fact make my super power not being able to lose weight. Maybe if I was just over weight with no other issues I could agree with your insinuation. My "weasel" words were used because I do not hit the same exact targets daily and they vary between the ranges given, most days I eat 1300, another day I may eat 1350 and another I may have the entire 1400.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Might help if you open you food diary. Then people might be able to offer more specific advice.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food in grams and have my calories set at 1400 but usually eat about 1300.

Either you're one of the X-Men and your superpower is not losing weight, or you're taking in more than you think you are. Physics doesn't allow another choice.

Also, "usually" and "about" are weasel words, suggesting that you don't know how many calories you're eating.

According to my Dr's the insulin resistance makes it a lot harder than the average person to lose weight. So maybe that combined with the stall in weight loss does in fact make my super power not being able to lose weight. Maybe if I was just over weight with no other issues I could agree with your insinuation. My "weasel" words were used because I do not hit the same exact targets daily and they vary between the ranges given, most days I eat 1300, another day I may eat 1350 and another I may have the entire 1400.

Did you, like many of us, have days that you were over or didn't log in December that perhaps offset the deficit days? My guess (and it's just a guess) would be that if you just keep doing what you're doing the scales will start to reflect your discipline again soon.

• courtneyfabulous
    Options

Did you, like many of us, have days that you were over or didn't log in December that perhaps offset the deficit days? My guess (and it's just a guess) would be that if you just keep doing what you're doing the scales will start to reflect your discipline again soon.

Good point... many of us didn't lose during the holidays either...
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food in grams and have my calories set at 1400 but usually eat about 1300. I know I probably don't drink as much water as I should, which is something I struggle with. The other thing I have concern with is one of my Dr's told me no fruit due to the insulin resistance, but the other said fruit is ok, so I am a little confused in that regard. I do exercise but it's sporadic, I pretty much get it in when I can which can range anywhere from 1 to 4 days a week. I work graveyard and do all my errands as well as driving my kids to all their things throughout the day so consistent exercise is difficult.

next question is have you lost absolutely no weight or are you losing a couple then gaining it back? or losing 1/2lb here and there?

1400 is probably giving you a small deficit so you might not see massive losses but if you are under a doctors care and given a special diet perhaps talk to them to get a referral to a Registered dietitian as most doctors do not have enough study in nutrition but RD's do.

Hi, the two different doctors happened on accident. The first dr is my obgyn who ordered labs as part of my yearly exam. He was the one who prescribed me a low carb diet and phentermine. The second dr was my primary who also ordered labs for my physical, and then prescribed me the metformin. As far as weight loss goes it's more of the lose 1/2 - 1lb and gain it back, but I just took that as my weight fluctuations not actual gains/ losses. I tried to find a dietician in my area through my insurance, but it seems that there weren't any local to me. But I'm at the point now I might have to make the 45 minute drive to the nearest one, because these two doctors have me confused. With the opposing info.

Are both doctors aware that you are taking both medications?

Are you monitoring your blood sugar regularly?

With regard to the fruit, you can check for yourself whether or not it's a "safe" choice for you by monitoring your blood sugar after a meal ending with a small amount of fruit. (I'd tend to start with something low sugar like berries rather than jumping straight to a high sugar choice like bananas.) In fact, if you're monitoring your blood sugar after each meal, you'll start to learn for yourself which foods spike your blood sugar too much and need to be avoided vs. which ones are safe for you. That's much more useful information than the general lists that dietitians, etc. give out.
  • ac2662
    Options

With regard to the fruit, you can check for yourself whether or not it's a "safe" choice for you by monitoring your blood sugar after a meal ending with a small amount of fruit. (I'd tend to start with something low sugar like berries rather than jumping straight to a high sugar choice like bananas.) In fact, if you're monitoring your blood sugar after each meal, you'll start to learn for yourself which foods spike your blood sugar too much and need to be avoided vs. which ones are safe for you. That's much more useful information than the general lists that dietitians, etc. give out.

My primary Dr is aware, not the obgyn yet. I'm supposed to see the obgyn again next month. I do not monitor my blood sugar, is that type of equipment something I can buy without a prescription, sorry this is new to me. I really like this idea. How would I know what numbers would be considered normal/ high etc.
  • ac2662
    Options

Omg yes!! My logging in Dec was horrible!
  • anastasias30
    anastasias30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Be careful with phentermine. I gained a lot of weight after getting off of it :(
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Omg yes!! My logging in Dec was horrible!

Well that might explain your "plateau"
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

My primary Dr is aware, not the obgyn yet. I'm supposed to see the obgyn again next month. I do not monitor my blood sugar, is that type of equipment something I can buy without a prescription, sorry this is new to me. I really like this idea. How would I know what numbers would be considered normal/ high etc.

You can buy a blood glucose monitor relatively inexpensively at any drug store/big box store without a prescription. What can be cost prohibitive are the test strips. But since you are thinking of using it short term to see how certain foods impact your blood sugar, it might not be too bad.

Or you could stick with low sugar/savory fruit (berries, avocados, tomatoes, squash, cucumber, peppers,eggplant, etc), and avoid the high sugar fruit (tropical fruit like bananas, pineapple, and mango; cherries, grapes, figs, etc). If you do decide to have something higher in sugar, try to pair it with fat and protein to lessen the impact on your blood sugar.

ETA - the American diabeties association website can give you some very general guidelines as to what is normal (or high) postprandial blood sugar. Better still, talk to your doc about what ranges he/she thinks are suitable for you.