I am at my highest right now.

Options
Hi! I have been on this app before, but recently I started giving a *kitten* about my weight again so I measured myself. When I saw the number it looked back at me with a thought like "This numbers are wrong"
I am 163 cm in height and I have 70 kgs! I've never been so heavy before in my life and I used to maintain it around 60 and I was happy.. The weight gain started when I tried vegan diet a year ago I guess. What I'm baffeled with is that I didn't eat crap like I used to (takeout, a lot of chocholate, cream, icecream, cakes, crisps etc) but instead injesting a lot of carbs that came of rice, potatoes some pasta and bread. How did I end up here?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating vegan doesn't guarantee weight loss/maintenance. You simply ate too much.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I got to my highest weight eating "healthy" food (lots of whole grains, fruit, and veg). Too many calories are too many calories, no matter where they come from. If a carb heavy diet is leaving you feeling hungry and subsequently over eating, focus on getting enough protein and fat in your diet, along with sticking to your calorie goal. That will hopefully help control your appetite so that you can eat less without going hungry. Rice, potatoes, pasta, and bread are pretty high calorie, and I know those foods do nothing to fill me up. Chocolate, cream, ice cream, cakes, and chips all have a good deal of fat involved. Counterintuitive as it may be, the drop in fat may be what contributes to your overeating - fat is filling to many people. I always struggled with lower fat diets for this very reason.

Tldr - log your food, meet your protein and fat requirements (look at what MFP assigns you as a minimum), and focus on foods that you find filling. Stay at the calorie limit assigned for your goals and you will lose weight.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Probably so. It's bad, and I know I didn't really watch my weight or when and how much I was eating, but the experience kinda liberated my mind a bit from "obsessive control over food" I had previously. But it got me to where I am today.
  • SophieeBrook
    SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You ate to many calories I belive. Like in any diet you need to figure out you portion intake. Once that comes natural to you dont need to count your calories anymore
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OP is 5'4" and 154lb (11 stone). Yes she is technically "overweight" but only by 7lb.

I thought that was important to put this in perspective!

OP, when I read your title I thought you must be morbidly obese! I realise you are heavier than you're used to being, but you really need to get this in perspective. It's a small weight problem which is completely manageable. It's not because of eating carbs, it's just a case of having eaten slightly more than you need. You fix it by eating slightly less than you need.

Set up your data on myfitnesspal and set your weight loss to 0.25kg per week. Eat the amount of calories it gives you, consistently, and you will lose this weight. If you exercise, log that exercise and eat at least half of the extra calories it gives you. Do not crash diet, do not starve yourself, do not panic. Small changes will get you there faster than big dramatic gestures.

Good luck!
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wish I was 70kg! I am same height and I weigh 90kg after my 3 kids.
    It shouldn't be too long to lose 10kg for you
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've never been this heavy. I already feel the difference in the amount of exercise I can take, I get tired slightly faster and I can't do some stuff properly like I used to. It really got to me because I don't like this feeling at all, and man it feels terrible to gain weight when I really watched to "control" my junk food intake. I know calories in vs calories out. Not that bc that Freelee the banana girl promotes.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've never been this heavy. I already feel the difference in the amount of exercise I can take, I get tired slightly faster and I can't do some stuff properly like I used to. It really got to me because I don't like this feeling at all, and man it feels terrible to gain weight when I really watched to "control" my junk food intake. I know calories in vs calories out. Not that bc that Freelee the banana girl promotes.

So it seems you've had your "AHA" moment. I have always needed this before I can actually be successful in getting on the right track with eating.

Unfortunately, I think many people are fooled by many of the eating "movements" that are out there. People think that healthy food equates to weight loss and that the only reason they are having is because of junk food. I'm oversimplifying it, but it really does people a disservice. There's nothing wrong with vegan or whole foods or what have you, but the promoters of these diets seem to pitch that if you eat this way, you will naturally fall into good habits.

Anyway, I think you are at a point today where you're ready to take control. I recognize it in the tone of your post.

Figure out how many calories you need to lose weight (gently) and pick foods that will make it easy for you to do so. There's nothing inherently wrong with potatoes, rice, and bread but they are calorically dense so you get little bang for your calorie buck. I totally skipped them at first (I was only on 1200 calories for a few weeks). I have added them back into my diet here and there, in very small portions.