Starvation Mode vs. Feeling Hungry?

Options
How do you know what message your stomach/body is sending you when you "feel" hungry? Sometimes at dinner (or other times) I "feel" hungry, even if I've planned out my 1200 calories for the day. How do I know that I'm getting enough food to avoid starvation mode, but not just eating for the heck of it? It seems like a fine line to me.

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How do you know what message your stomach/body is sending you when you "feel" hungry? Sometimes at dinner (or other times) I "feel" hungry, even if I've planned out my 1200 calories for the day. How do I know that I'm getting enough food to avoid starvation mode, but not just eating for the heck of it? It seems like a fine line to me.
  • DianeC
    DianeC Posts: 5
    Options
    The home page will tell you if you are getting to few calories and "may trigger starvation mode." If you enter your calories up to, say, lunch and then got your home page, it will tell in 5 weeks you should weigh.... If you are eating too few calories, the site will post a warning to you about starvation mode. If you are not getting this message, then you should be good! Always check your homepage after you have entered all of your food for the day. However, if you enter something ( snack) after you have logged out for the day, the message will not appear. Hoped this helped!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'll make it easy for you.

give me your weight, height, and your normal daily activity level (not including exercise)
    and I can give you rough estimates.

Sometimes our body lies to us. Sometimes what we percieve as hunger is actually thurst or a deficiency of some nutrient, and sometimes it's really hunger but only because our body has been trained to expect a certain amount at a certain time.

If you know you are getting enough water, and you know you are eating the correct foods (I.E. getting enough carbs, fats, protein, vitamins, minerals) then it's either that you aren't eating enough, or you are but your body is trained itself to expect food (or more food) at specific times. It could also be some kind of medical problem, but that's far more rare than the above causes.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Maybe your body is getting used to your new eating schedule. Instead of having to remind yourself to eat every 3 hrs you'll get hungry then.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I EAT ALL MY CALORIES AND IT SAYS IM TAKING IN TOO FEW CAORIES A DAY
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    check out this website

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

see how your number match up from mfp to this site...I think mfp put me low.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

I just wanted to comment on your quote. I adore it. This makes me feel so happy:happy: :bigsmile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you can get all of your calories for the day in one burger at certain locations... but are you going to feel hungry the rest of the day? YES! and are you getting the right balance of nutrients? NO!

If you are getting 1200 calories a day from three 400 calorie meals you are likely to get hungry the rest of the day, though you are eating enough calories. Eat things like veggies and fruit and salads where you can eat until you are full and still be at like 100 or 200 calories tops. (More like 30-60 calories if you dont eat an entire full bowl...) I get really hungry around 9 after I get home from the gym and settle down for the night. By then I am usually just about out of calories for the day so I often eat, literally, a serving dish full of salad with tomatos and onion and lemon juice and sometimes cheese or chicken if I have calories left and it is usually less than 200 calores and fills me up big time... Not to mention that I get 3-5 servings of veggies from it alone (seriously, I eat like 3 or 4 cups of lettuce and a whole tomato - my husband makes fun of me for eating a whole family's salad)!