Struggling with lunges

Options
I've been doing the Les Mills body pump class (lifting weights to music - low weight high rep) for a few weeks and really struggling to do the lunges even without holding a weight. I can do the squats fine, admittedly with a low weight compared to everyone else, but the lunges kill me.

Anyone recommend any exercises to build this muscle or had the same problem?

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    what is it that kills you? is it soreness or pain?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Most people do them with wrong form (along with squats). Lots of people push off their toes with lunges, when you should be pushing off your heels.
    Are they stationary lunges or active lunges?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lunges are pretty hardcore, at least they feel that way as the last of my leg day. I just suffer through but they truly are tiring and send my heart rate skyrocketing. I'd say just do what you can and get your rest in it.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ishmallow wrote: »
    Lunges are pretty hardcore, at least they feel that way as the last of my leg day. I just suffer through but they truly are tiring and send my heart rate skyrocketing. I'd say just do what you can and get your rest in it.
    . I thought this was just me. Lol

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can't do them to save my life. Between my twisted. misaligned hips and my bad knees... it's just a nightmare.

I can squat for days, but lunges can bite me.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the nerd fitness programme for beginners and it includes lunges. In the video it says it's OK to rest one arm on something for balance. It works for me.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ^^^ When I first started my trainer had me hold a chair or pole. Now they aren't a problem (still hate them but I can do them with added weight too).
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take pump - can you ask the instructor before or after class to help you with foot placement? Your feet may need to be spread with more width and length than you think. That helped me. Or using the bar vertically as a balance point as you improve.