Advice on going dairy free? (:

Options
I'm lactose intolerant and would like to give it a try.
Thankyou.

Replies

• evolve1587
    evolve1587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been dairy/gluten/egg/soy free for 4 months, i was having issues with my digestion so I wanted to figure out what was causing the issue, i tried re-introducing soy, BAD idea, it was a digestive jumbler for me!!
    I used to live on milk and cheese, I now use coconut milk (it's my fave) the only place I really use it is for overnight oats and daily smoothies, I also sub it in for milk in recipes... it's an ajustment at first... the thing I may miss more is butter, i now use oil or water to stir fry things and on sandwiches I tend to use mustard or have toast with pb!
    Read all your food labels and you should make the transition quite easily!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance vegan butter, almond, soy, rice or hemp milk, dayia vegan cheese are things that helped me when I was dairy free for a year. However I'm back on the dairy. I still use all above except real cheese now.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My husband uses vanilla soy milk in his coffee, home made almond milk on his oatmeal. We have wraps a lot at our house and where I might add cheese, he adds hummus. He can eat dry cheeses like parmagian and asiago without problems so we always have some grated in the fridge for him to add a little flavour. He uses pesto on pizza instead of pizza sauce and cheese. We buy cultured butter and he does fine with that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what specifically do you normally eat that you want to replace?

I'm also lactose intolerant, and i pick and choose what is and isn't worth it to me. Some thing's ive just cut out completely, others i've found alternatives for. Some of those alternatives suck. LOL
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There are tons of vegan replacements for dairy so start there. However it's easy to leave it off, like in mexican food I typically don't like cheese and guac together so I get the guac instead.
  • whirlyruns
    whirlyruns Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are some good lactose free dairy options if you decide not to cut out dairy completely. Breyers lactose free ice cream, Lactaid brand milk and ice cream, etc. My husband is lactose intolerant, and he manages it pretty well with these options.

ohsheglows.com is a good place for vegan recipes
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use goats cheese as one of my dairy substitutions for my lactose intolerance. Sorbets are a great frozen treat to have. As the user above said, Lactaid milk, I use this if I really want milk.

I am not sure of your severity, but my doctor recommended trying cheeses that have been aged longer and are drier. The lactose is actually drained off with the whey in this process.

Lactose is a sugar found in milk. You can always check the grams of sugar on the nutritional label and see if its low enough to test out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love dairy, but honestly cutting out dairy doesn't seem that challenging (I've done it for periods of time). If you tell us your specific concerns or stumbling blocks, we could provide better help, I think.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i gave up dairy almost 15 years ago...i might have a bit here and there of it once or so a week,but it has made a world of difference to me! There are so many substitutions out there i dont miss it!