Discipline

Options
So any tips for increasing self discipline?? Tried and true suggestions???

Replies

• EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I need some as well. There's a bag of M&Ms at my house, one from Costco! My boyfriend bought it over yesterday because he knows it's one of my favorite candies.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Peanut M&M's
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When results were more important to me than eating something I shouldn't, saying no was easy....
  • INEEDACCOUNTABILITY
    Options
    When results were more important to me than eating something I shouldn't, saying no was easy....

• emmuh1995
    emmuh1995 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with discipline for years. I've recently been seeing a therapist and this is what is now working for me....
    If you're like me, you feel guilty and you're way too hard on yourself.
    Instead of doing the bad thing while saying 'I shouldn't eat this. I should go run it off. I should do this. I should do that....' Stop using the word 'should'!!!!
    Replace 'should' with 'want.' I have a list in my room with all of the things I want. "I want to love myself." "I want to feel confident in my body." "I want to be fit." When you're talking yourself in your head use the word 'want' also.
    It's instantly more positive and self-loving. You'll notice the change. ❤️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    Consistent habitual behavior. If you exercise in the morning, put your clothes out in the same place. If you work out in the afternoon evening, make sure your bag is packed the night before (not the morning of).
    Also being systematic in your eating helps. Meaning if you're eating the same things everyday (for at least a short period of time) you'll get used to routine.
    It's when you're given unstructured options DAILY that everything starts going awry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Discipline is simply doing what you REALLY want to do. It's a string of choices of actions.

So in terms of weight loss it's doing what I need to do in order to reach my goal. It means writing down my food even if I'd rather not. It means stepping on the scale. It means making better food choices. It means sometimes passing up the easy but bad decision.

What it doesn't mean is being harsh. Sometimes I take a nap instead of my workout...I just have to make certain choices eating for the rest of the day. I have not given up chocolate chip cookies. I don't do workouts I don't enjoy.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I find for me its not discipline... its what drives me to want to obtain that end result. I WANT to keep up with my kids and be as healthy for them as I can. For me? That's all I need to find the ability to get up and workout, not eat that chocolate cause it doesn't fit my calories that day etc.

Perhaps finding what you truly want out of your weight loss will help you too.

Good luck on your journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    Consistent habitual behavior. If you exercise in the morning, put your clothes out in the same place. If you work out in the afternoon evening, make sure your bag is packed the night before (not the morning of).
    Also being systematic in your eating helps. Meaning if you're eating the same things everyday (for at least a short period of time) you'll get used to routine.
    It's when you're given unstructured options DAILY that everything starts going awry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Pretty much this...

Establish routine and just do it...eventually it just becomes habit. Give yourself structure...pre-log if you need to...have a plan and follow through with the plan regardless of the feelz.
  • saundersld
    saundersld Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be disciplined requires a purpose. What is your purpose for living a healthy and fit lifestyle? What is your purpose to lose weight? Will that purpose drive me to exercise discipline in my life? if I start an exercise program then stop before I reach my goal, then that purpose was not strong enough to discipline myself. It wasn't the real purpose to drive discipline.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Habit and short-term goals.

Habit is ...
    ... doing a weekly grocery shop and buying the things at the grocery store which you know will fit within your calorie limit.
    ... getting off the bus a stop early every morning.
    ... taking the stairs (I think I've been inside the lift at work about 5 times in the last year).
    ... getting up and going for a walk at lunch, even if it is just to run a few errands.
    ... going for a walk after work.
    ... eating at the same time each day.
    ... eating similar foods at each of those times.

It's a comfortable routine. I don't need to fuss about what I'm going to eat or do for exercise ... it's just something that happens as normally as brushing my teeth, doing my laundry, loading and unloading the dishwasher, going to work, etc. etc.

And short-term goals ...

A couple weeks ago, I made the decision to ease back on my calorie intake a bit and to log regularly again in order to lose some Christmas weight. And I made the decision to stick with it until Australia Day (Jan 26). So far, so good! About 3 weeks isn't forever, it's doable. I will be taking a diet-break over the Australia Day long weekend, during which time I'll probably eat a few extra things (without going crazy), and then my plan is to get back to the logging and staying within my calories until the February long weekend. So if I happen to crave something higher calorie while I'm in a reduced calorie period ... I can wait until my next diet break to eat it.

• ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you to you all. Your responses made a lot of sense. I have discovered o don't have good habits. Sooo I'll start there. Thank you.