Struggling with Net Calorie question and Fit Bit Blaze burn

Options
I know it's been asked a million different ways, but I am throwing my own in as well.

I have my daily calorie goal set to about 1650. This was based on my TDEE as calculated at approximately 2000. This is based on a sedentary job with some walking every week. I've had my account set to this for a long time and am off and on with my eating goals.

I've recently restarted my fitness and weight loss attempt and have a fitbit Blaze that shows my HR. My actually daily calories burned according to the fitbit (and the fact that I've SIGNIFICANTLY bumped up my steps. I walk hard for 2 to 3 miles nearly every day right now) my daily calorie burn is actually nearly 2800 as a weekly average.

I weigh/measure and log every. single. bite. I cook and I plug in my recipes. I am very specific. I feel I've got my calories logged accurate.

The end result is that I am eating at least 1600 calories a day, but my NET calories according to MFP are about 980 calories a day over a week.

I am down 4.5 lbs in this first 11 days of really getting back to it. (Yes, I weigh daily so I can see the trend. It's the only thing that keeps me on track) It's not going badly, but I also know you always lose pretty well at first, and since my goal is 50+ lbs I want to be sure I am on the right track. Should I be eating more or is this what I should continue to do? (always scary to eat more!)

Any input would be super helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're following TDEE, you don't have net calories. Exercise is already included in those numbers. Stick with it for 3-4 more weeks and then adjust your calories up or down if you continue to lose quicker than expected.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're following TDEE, you don't have net calories. Exercise is already included in those numbers. Stick with it for 3-4 more weeks and then adjust your calories up or down if you continue to lose quicker than expected.

Well, that's the thing. I WAS following TDEE based on online calculators. But now I have the Fitbit with HR and my calories burned seem to be FAR higher (average of 800 more a day) than what online calculators had assumed about me. I guess my biggest question is what to truly believe. Is my true TDEE around 2000 and the fitbit is that far off in estimates, or do I need to bump it up?

I've never used a HR monitor before so I never really did know what my body was actually burning.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My two cents: I just recently switched from a Fitbit One (clip on) to the Charge 2 (on wrist with HRM). I've noticed the Charge has been giving me more calories each day than the One used to. I'm not sure if that's due to it knowing when I'm working hard thanks to the HRM or if it's just from me moving my arms and the Charge thinking I'm walking. My plan is, for one month, to only take 90% of the calories reported by the Charge (I've seen other Fitbit wrist wearers do this) and see where that gets me. If I lose faster/slower, I'll adjust from there.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Vivoactive and think my numbers are high too. It has my bmr around 1650 while most online calclulators using bf% have it around 1350-1400. I think my active numbers are correct for my movement through the day, but the starting number (which I believe is just an estimate based on my stats) is too high, so I just subtract that difference from the Garmin number. That puts me more inline with my TDEE.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options

YalithKBK wrote: »
    My plan is, for one month, to only take 90% of the calories reported by the Charge (I've seen other Fitbit wrist wearers do this) and see where that gets me. If I lose faster/slower, I'll adjust from there.

This sounds like a reasonable plan. Thanks! Based on that I likely could/should eat a little more anyway. I haven't been starving but I'd wouldn't mind something treaty!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Net calories is a MFP term and not significant IMO. Regarding Fitbit, I would assume some room for error. The Fitbit wrist devices that I tried: added steps & calories for hand movements. That's why I like the One!

If you assume a 10% error rate, and this is not unreasonable, then your TDEE is probably more like ~2500. So eating around 1600 would be about a 900 deficit, and not unreasonable.

Part of your loss in week 1 was likely water weight. As you go forward, pay attention to how you feel. Energetic? Satiated? Losing weight steadily at a reasonable rate? Listen to your body essentially. If you are losing weight and want to eat more, you can certainly lessen your deficit. But if you feel happy with the way things are, no need to panic/second guess yourself.
    beckty wrote: »
    I know it's been asked a million different ways, but I am throwing my own in as well.

I have my daily calorie goal set to about 1650. This was based on my TDEE as calculated at approximately 2000. This is based on a sedentary job with some walking every week. I've had my account set to this for a long time and am off and on with my eating goals.

I've recently restarted my fitness and weight loss attempt and have a fitbit Blaze that shows my HR. My actually daily calories burned according to the fitbit (and the fact that I've SIGNIFICANTLY bumped up my steps. I walk hard for 2 to 3 miles nearly every day right now) my daily calorie burn is actually nearly 2800 as a weekly average.

I weigh/measure and log every. single. bite. I cook and I plug in my recipes. I am very specific. I feel I've got my calories logged accurate.

The end result is that I am eating at least 1600 calories a day, but my NET calories according to MFP are about 980 calories a day over a week.

I am down 4.5 lbs in this first 11 days of really getting back to it. (Yes, I weigh daily so I can see the trend. It's the only thing that keeps me on track) It's not going badly, but I also know you always lose pretty well at first, and since my goal is 50+ lbs I want to be sure I am on the right track. Should I be eating more or is this what I should continue to do? (always scary to eat more!)

Any input would be super helpful. Thanks!