Gaining weight!

Options
I'm turning to you all to offer some insight. I'm on week 2 of an intense workout and diet regime. The end of week one, day before yesterday, I proudly lost 3.5 lbs! Yesterday I put in a tough workout of cardio and weights, stuck to my diet and had a light breakfast this morning. Feeling less disgusted with myself, I stopped onto the scale. I gained a pound? has anyone else experienced weight gain when it should be going the other way so early on?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Plus the weight of your breakfast and anything you'd drunk.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm turning to you all to offer some insight. I'm on week 2 of an intense workout and diet regime. The end of week one, day before yesterday, I proudly lost 3.5 lbs! Yesterday I put in a tough workout of cardio and weights, stuck to my diet and had a light breakfast this morning. Feeling less disgusted with myself, I stopped onto the scale. I gained a pound? has anyone else experienced weight gain when it should be going the other way so early on?

Your weight will fluctuate, this is totally normal. When you start a new exercise regime, your body will likely hold on to water for a little bit while it repairs muscles (not growing muscles, just helping your current muscles). If you were to eat food with lots of sodium in it, your body would hold on to water for a bit too. These are temporary changes and have nothing to do with gaining fat.
    Stick to your calorie deficit, and you will lose fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates constantly...throughout the day and day to day...plus you ate before you stepped on the scale.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Water weight, I weigh everydayjyst to see the fluctuations and 2-3lbs is not abnormal, don't fret about it. If you have had a lot of sodium then drink extra as that also make you retain water. Don't worry, if weighing worries you and makes you feel disappointed then weigh once a week or even two weeks, daily fluctuation happento us all. Good luck you are doing great
  • INeustaedter
    INeustaedter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll keep your thoughts in mind and try to stay away from the scale when I'm feeling "thin". I will try to be more vigilant about my sodium intake as well. This has reminded me to refill my water glass...
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself in the morning, after you've "gone". That will be a more consistent reading. Daytime readings fluctuate all over the place giving food and liquids intake, activity, etc.
  • INeustaedter
    Options
    I'm drinking 3 liters of water and more per day, stay away from salt, caffeine, alcohol, don't consume processed foods, gluten, starch, sugar or dairy with more than 2% fat on my 1300 calorie/day diet. I spend 2 hours a day at the gym 6 times a week and burn between 500 - 700 calories per workout. I'm so tired and a little hungry and cranky. I keep losing and gaining the same 1.5 lbs every other week. My fitness program started Jan 11 and ends March 15. I've lost 8 lbs (or 6.5 depending on the week) which I know isn't bad but jeez this is an awful lot of work and sacrifice for a lousy lb per week. Has anyone else seen such slow results from such a rigid and strenuous program? Will I see better results when I ease off in a couple of weeks? I do plan on staying the course but just not so rigorously.
  • INeustaedter
    Options
    Interesting discovery...I had my second in-Body test since Jan and although the numbers on the scale are less than impressive, the numbers for the test were! I've lost 15 lbs of fat and gained almost 6 lbs of muscle. My body fat percentage went from 28.8 to 22.2. If anyone else out there is working hard but feeling the scale is betraying them I highly recommend finding a place that has an in-Body test facility. It really gives you a much better sense of what's going on.