Help! My dieting sucks

Options
So I am getting a bit overwhelmed with dieting. I have vastly improved my exercise (spin classes and barre classes at least 4 days a week @50 minutes each) but my dieting is still a struggle. I always start out great in the day (for example, my breakfast was 245 calories and I have a snack coming up in an hour) but I'm having a hard time finding foods that fit within the 1200 calorie limit that don't leave you starving at the end of the day. Do any of you have suggestions, recommendations, samples of your own 1200 calorie diets? Thanks!

Replies

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Same issue...have yet to figure it out. Cutting out sugar and seriously contemplating cutting out meat.
  • Buncha36
    Buncha36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here is a website I use to figure out how much i should be eating.
    It has you enter your weight, (i put the weight I want to go down to) and your height, how much you exercise/intensity and it gives you the calculation of how much calories you should be intaking.

If you want to get more specific, on the left hand side, you can use that NET caloric intake number it gave you, and chose it to calculate your macro nutrients for the day. meaning your protien, carbs and fats.

Its a wonderful tool!!!! I promise it is soooo helpful and makes 'dieting' a little less confusing :)

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What types of food are you eating? You also may need to increase your calorie goal, that sounds really low. It's possible you may need more protein and even more fats like avacado or nuts. I've never been to a spin class, but I'm sure you burn off quite a bit of calories and whenever you're burning you're supposed to eat those back. Have you ever eaten quinoa?
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Buncha36 wrote: »
    Here is a website I use to figure out how much i should be eating.
    It has you enter your weight, (i put the weight I want to go down to) and your height, how much you exercise/intensity and it gives you the calculation of how much calories you should be intaking.

This seems like an issue point. Without a gauge on the difference between your weight and your goal at least.

Ideally you would either use something simply like the goals settings in here and tweak as needed.

For that you can use your actual weight then cut cals from that at, again, a moderate and comfortable rate adjusting with familiarity etc.

You might be really pushing yourself too far down. Refocus on the numbers and goals. Afterwards you can look at your diet...

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you are exercising you should be eating more than 1200. That's a NET goal and even then may be too aggressive, depending how much you have to lose.

This... you probably don't need to eat so little.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP, I set a 1200 calorie goal. The *only* way I could adhere to it was to NOT exercise. I could manage it when I was sedentary. You are doing a good bit of exercise so I can imagine that you are really hungry by the evening.

Also, when I was on 1200 calories, I tried to keep my breakfast no higher than 230 calories (which included the milk/sugar in my tea). I did not have a snack either. This allowed for higher calorie lunches and dinners which was where *I* needed the bigger meals.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your current height/weight/age? what is your goal weight? what did you set the goal on MFP to be (maybe its too aggressive); are you eating back workout calories? (the MFP calories recs are based on that principle)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I would have given up within a month at 1200 calories.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to eat more. I'm short, so 1200 calories is appropriate for me, and i burn about 200 calories a day. I can keep satiated by eating enough water, fiber and/or protein.

But it sounds like you are exercising more than that, so you need more calories. For me, i eat back any calories i burn after about 200 calories. 100 minutes could be 400 calories or more. And if you are average height or taller, you need more calories too.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing you haven't come back to add information but I'm also going to say that you're likely trying to eat too little. Honestly what's the rush? Why be miserable? I'm eating 1500 and doing 20 mins of exercise max per day and I've already dropped 5lbs in 2 weeks of very mild/little effort except to stick to 1500 calories. Now I'm adding in watching macros and making sure I get enough protein but take it one step at a time. Raise your goal, seriously, and you can ALWAYS lower it later if you don't lose weight... but you probably still will because spin class is no joke. Eat more and I promise you will feel good, still lose, and you will have wiggle room for the future (can't cut more from 1200 you know)
  • AlexRankin354
    AlexRankin354 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i just try to eat really smartly, after about a week of dieting you probably know when you get hungry so you can target those times. eating three meals throughout the day with a couple of snacks at those target times should keep you full all day. for my snacks i choose the foods that gave the most volume or filling-up-factor, for example high protein yogurts work really well for me (arla and skyr are my favourites). i also find that a hot drink with my evening meal or just before bed made me feel fuller. definitely don't cut out meat though, especially if you're exercising! you need to be able to repair your body!
  • FaileBashere
    FaileBashere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm very short, 4'11", and I was given the 1200 calorie limit from MFP. I am working out, so I do add in the calories from working out, so it's 1200 net. I think eating "smart" is hard, I didn't realize just how many calories are in foods...it's really difficult to find enough food that fits into the net 1200 without only being able to eat like two or three times a day. Suggestions?

I have a wedding in May , trying to lose 10-15lbs by then :/
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try and eat whole foods so you can eat so much vegetables for very little calories it's hidden sugar in food that add extra kcal. Also 1g fat = 9kcal vs 1g protein/carb is 4kcal. Have a look at my diary things like chicken breast really filling low kcal add some veg and total kcal is low but you will be full. You need to eat food that fills you up but low kcal. Try eating 1200 kcal of green veg for example
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    rdl81 wrote: »
    Try eating 1200 kcal of green veg for example

:(

Veggies are fine, but I have better success with satiety with a healthy mix of fiber & protein. Oatmeal, eggs, lean meats, Greek yogurt, beans, high fiber cereal, berries, cottage cheese (all of these things in addition to your lo-cal veggies). Eggs are 70 cal, Dannon Greek yogurt 80, I have some light string cheese that is 50/stick, and if you don't object to carbs, there are 45 calorie breads and 150 calorie pasta that are made with more fiber & very filling. You just have to find the right balance... it takes some time.

• kerrold
    kerrold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree eating smart can be hard especially when you don't know what to eat.
    The plan I am currently doing has me trying lots of new foods and recipes and I have enjoyed everything I have eaten so far. The exercise suggestion are also included in the plan
    My calorie goal per day is currently 1400 (as per the level of the plan I am doing) but feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary and you may get some ideas from there.
    What better motivation to get to your goal than a wedding, I love weddings!
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So I am getting a bit overwhelmed with dieting. I have vastly improved my exercise (spin classes and barre classes at least 4 days a week @50 minutes each) but my dieting is still a struggle. I always start out great in the day (for example, my breakfast was 245 calories and I have a snack coming up in an hour) but I'm having a hard time finding foods that fit within the 1200 calorie limit that don't leave you starving at the end of the day. Do any of you have suggestions, recommendations, samples of your own 1200 calorie diets? Thanks!

Easy Mac 220 calories pet serving. Eat your breakfast then have a serving of Easy Mac for both lunch and dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Easy Mac 220 calories pet serving. Eat your breakfast then have a serving of Easy Mac for both lunch and dinner.

Who need fruit and veg.... :laugh: