Teacher in need of help!

Options
hi MFPers!

I am a teacher. I lost and maintained 25ish lbs last year and I'm wanting to lose another 15-25.
I teach high school and I get really hungry through out the day! so what are some of your GO TO healthy/inexpensive snacks to keep you going during a long day? Also, do any of you do Pilates? Will it help me to tone and tighten as well as boost my metabolism?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My go to snacks are:

- protein bar (great for when I'm busy and easy to keep in a drawer or bag and won't go bad if not cooled)
    - greek yogurt with a fruit
    - carrot sticks with sour cream
    - cheese and fruit

In general, I try to make sure my snacks include all macros to help with satiety.

I don't do Pilates but I also have back issues I need to be careful about and some of the exercises in Pilates only make it worse. Together with a good protein intake, it should help you prevent losing too much muscle while you're on a calorie deficit. The more body fat you lose, the more your muscles will appear and the more toned you'll look. Increasing your muscle mass is possibly the only way to "boost" your metabolism, but increase is hard in a deficit, double so because we're women (sucks but true).

So in summary:
    - eat your protein
    - do resistance training
    - do a consistent deficit (probably set to lose 0.5lbs per week seeing you're not far from goal)
    - be patient it will take time but it will be worth it in the end.
    - enjoy the ride :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm a teacher (well, now a professor).
    I take hard boiled eggs
    lightly steamed vegetables that I nosh on
    babybel cheese,
    fruit
    nuts and seeds
    (as snacks)
    I also have a couple of quest bars, and some whole grain crackers with PB on standby for "emergencies".

I do power yoga 2 times a week and Pilates 2 times a week (and a yin yoga class once a week)
    I can't say enough good things about Pilates and Power yoga.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like the bags of almonds that I get from sam's club.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes are my go to, they satisfy me for very few calories. Combine with some cheese and an apple or grapes and they're even better. I find them particularly good for steady blood sugar and keeping a clear head when tired (excellent as a driving snack).
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok, fellow high school teacher here:

My easy go-to snacks:
    Babybel cheeses
    Apples (sometimes with peanut butter, sometimes not)
    Baby carrots and hummus
    Lots of water (timed with when I'll have a bathroom break, of course)

Though sometimes when I have literally no time to grab anything throughout the day, I'll drink a Dr Pepper to keep me going... I don't know about you, but sometimes it's hard to find a few minutes to eat during the day, in between classes, students, copying, planning, meetings, etc... In those cases, I rely on a good breakfast before school and I eat dinner soon after getting home. Cheers!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Easy portable snacks-pretzels, nuts, pre cut fruit and veggies, and crackers with humus.

As for boosting your metabolism-no Pilates will not boost your metabolism.
  • KateCaf
    KateCaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too. Anyone want to connect and motivate each other?
  • RachaelBaldwin15
    RachaelBaldwin15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

august12mama
    I'd love to add you as a friend!
  • RachaelBaldwin15
    RachaelBaldwin15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to "be friends" just add me!