Fiber One Bars

Options
beaglady
beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
I've been eating a fiber one bar nearly every day for the past few weeks. I've also been feeling unusually gassy and constipated, despite also eating plenty of vegetables, drinking enough water, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem with the bars? According to the label, they contain chicory root extract and sugar cane fiber. Nothing else I've eaten is a likely candidate for these symptoms.

Replies

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I personally have no issues with Fiber One bars. I usually eat 1 or 2 a day.

However, many of my friends have complained of the same issue that you are. So, you're definitely not alone. I think it just has to do with your body. If they make you feel uncomfortable, I'd suggest to just stop eating them and find your fiber elsewhere. Metamucil is easy enough to incorporate into your day. Personally, I would miss the Fiber One bars though, because some of them are delicious.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat them or everyone around me will suffer.
  • rickshank98
    rickshank98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Inulin/chicory root is probably used as an ingredient to up the fiber content. Plenty of people have issues with Inulin and their digestive track.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    I've been eating a fiber one bar nearly every day for the past few weeks. I've also been feeling unusually gassy and constipated, despite also eating plenty of vegetables, drinking enough water, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem with the bars? According to the label, they contain chicory root extract and sugar cane fiber. Nothing else I've eaten is a likely candidate for these symptoms.

Yes it's the Chicory root (sometimes called inulin)......I avoid all products with these ingredients. Even Dannon Triple Zero yogurt has this additive. Yuck!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I personally have no issues with Fiber One bars. I usually eat 1 or 2 a day.

However, many of my friends have complained of the same issue that you are. So, you're definitely not alone. I think it just has to do with your body. If they make you feel uncomfortable, I'd suggest to just stop eating them and find your fiber elsewhere. Metamucil is easy enough to incorporate into your day. Personally, I would miss the Fiber One bars though, because some of them are delicious.

I do get plenty of fiber without the bars. I just find them to be a satisfying low cal substitute for breakfast pastries. Especially the Cranberry Orange ones. Mmmm!
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @beaglady I was the same way with those Fiber One bars. I would eat one most of the time and have some gas but it wasn't really bad. But if I ate two man it was serious business. The high amounts of fiber just might be reacting to you. The only bit of advise I could give is try eating a half a bar, keep track of daily fiber intake and protein intake. If you still have serious gas the best bet is to find a lower fiber snack. Check out Kind bars they are really easy on the tummy :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    And here I was considering them. Thanks for this thread. Might try one to see, but when it's just me and the dogs. :)
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat one (sometimes 2) every day and don't have an issue.

But I know that some people do have a reaction to them
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I eat one (sometimes 2) every day and don't have an issue.

But I know that some people do have a reaction to them

Ditto.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Some people are more sensitive to the chicory root. You might want to find a different bar without it or something else you enjoy to fill those calories.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. I have a pretty decent fiber intake (20-25g+ per day) as it is, so the 5g in the bars I bought probably isn't the reason for the excess gas and bloating. I went back to my slightly-lower-calorie chunk of salted almond dark chocolate :)
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They definitely give me gas too. The lemon bars taste amazing though!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It's a common issue, and half the fun of Fiber One bars.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    beaglady wrote: »

Yes it's the Chicory root (sometimes called inulin)......I avoid all products with these ingredients. Even Dannon Triple Zero yogurt has this additive. Yuck!

well, that explains why I can't eat those either LOL
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's the Chicory root