How do I re spark my running motivation?

Options
Hey MFP!

So I used to be a frequent MFP participant and along with that I was very regular in my workouts while training for triathlon

I was trainingg 4 to 5 days a week and multiple workouts per day from swim cycle combinations to run weight lift combos

I had dropped down to 150 lbs but then sidelined with a lower back injury a neck injury and so many other injuries I don't know where to start .. now I've gained like 30 pounds sitting at 180 my diet sucks and my training sucks

My question is, how can I get that motivation back?! I do like one or two days now and just completely lose my motivation because my lower back just keeps on giving me problems...

Aside from the obvious which is go to a doctor... what can I do?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not to be "that guy", but you've kind of answered your own question. I'm fairly certain that you'll continue to have no motivation to run so long as your back continues to hurt while doing so. Perhaps you can take up a different form of cardio until you get your back issue resolved? Recumbent biking or swimming are two that come to mind.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Not to be "that guy", but you've kind of answered your own question. I'm fairly certain that you'll continue to have no motivation to run so long as your back continues to hurt while doing so. Perhaps you can take up a different form of cardio until you get your back issue resolved?

Yes that makes sense but I was hoping to hear what helps other people stay MOTIVATED.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense but I was hoping to hear what helps other people stay MOTIVATED.

Right. And my point is, it'll be hard to get your motivation back for running if running = pain. Also, I'm not sure it's advisable to continue to do an activity that causes you pain.

To answer your question about motivation in general, the greatest source of motivation for me is the people I surround myself with (either in real life, or virtually on sites like MFP). Having a strong support system helps me fight through those times when I just don't want to workout. Another thing that works really well for me is a reward system. Since you've trained for a triathlon, you're undoubtedly more than familiar with training plans. Find a plan that works for your current level or goals, break that plan up into smaller milestones, and reward yourself as you complete each milestone. As an example, I'm a pipe collector/smoker. I've broken up my weight loss goal into 2 lb milestones and every time I lose 2 lbs, I buy myself a vintage pipe. Once I hit my goal weight, I'll be buying myself a rather spendy Dunhill pipe that I've had my eye on for a couple of years now. Hope this helps and more importantly, I hope you get your back issues sorted.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good place to start since it is low impact. Make it a habit by going out every day for at least 15 minutes. If you can do that without pain, go longer. Find places in nature where you can walk.

We have a large dog, so I have to go out and walk twice a day, whether I want to or not. Some days it's a joy, watching the seasons change and being outdoors, but others it's just something I do because I love my dog and my husband and I enjoy spending time with them. It has kept us all healthy, so even on the bad days, I don't begrudge the effort.

If you want to get back into serious training, you will have to deal with your physical issues first. As said above, if activity = pain, you shouldn't be doing it unless under the supervision of a PT.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My general answer is that signing up for a race is something that motivates me. I know I have to do the training if I want to do the distance on the day. You could look for a 5k walk or run in your area that is a little way off so you have time to train for it.

However, as you are still having back pain, I agree that there is really no point in bumping up your exercise if this is making it worse. I would go to a physiotherapist and get some assistance to find out why I'm in pain, how I can reduce or manage it and take their advice on getting moving again.
  • ironhajee
    Options
    Awesome responses I am definitely already feeling more motivated.

I feel like the moment I stopped my regular posts on MFP I lost some motivation!

Hmm thanks guys and gals!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If running is painful, it is causing additional damage? I would start by making sure the activity is safe for you to do. Can you do some swimming for now? Are you working with a physical therapist to help you build back to where you were? A good therapist can help you strengthen and rebalance your body, in the mean time, I can understand why you would be demotivated. Experiencing pain beyond regular DOMS is emotionally draining. Find some good professionals to help you.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well, i think the only reason i stuck with running, is i started slow and didn't try to do too much.
    I started with c25k unsure if i would even complete it, but it was only 3 times a week(mon-wed-fri). As i progressed, eventually the routine set in and it was normal to go out 3 times a week for my run.As i increased my distance to the 10k, i continued only going out 3 times a week. I figured, no matter what happens in my life, 3 times a week is duable.Even if i miss a day, i still have 4 free days during the week to snuck it in.
    Seeing my progress kept me motivated to carry on running during the winter, even with freezing temperatures,rain and snow. I still go out for my runs 3 times a week.I might *kitten* and moan, but i still do it.And when i'm done it feels awesome.
    I've already decided that during my vacation this summer, i'll bring my running shoes with me and continue my running streak.
    Now if i had to do it 4-5 times a week, i would probably not have continued on.Too many things that could go wrong and knock me off my routine.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I was you, I would treat myself to some physio with the intention of entering a summer 5K (or even doing a summer parkrun). The physio would help the back issues and the 5K would give a goal to aim for.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do you have any kind of diagnosis for your back problems? If you don't, I would honestly start there; you will end up spinning your wheels if you don't know what you're dealing with.

I had "back problems" all last year. I kept starting my programming then having to stop because I was in so much pain. Then I'd rest until I felt better, return to my programming (at less intensity), progress a little bit, and then be in pain again. I repeated that cycle all year and got nowhere until I finally went to the doctor, physical therapy, etc. Now that I got treatment and know what my limitations are I'm able to get back to regular workouts modified for my issues. That's my motivation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I was you, I would treat myself to some physio with the intention of entering a summer 5K (or even doing a summer parkrun). The physio would help the back issues and the 5K would give a goal to aim for.

exactly this!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Not to be "that guy", but you've kind of answered your own question. I'm fairly certain that you'll continue to have no motivation to run so long as your back continues to hurt while doing so. Perhaps you can take up a different form of cardio until you get your back issue resolved?

Not "motivated" just determined. I kinda like the transformation my diet and exercise program has made. I kinda want to keep it. Therefore, I am determined to keep at it. I go to the gym like I go to work. I need to to keep the life and lifestyle I would like to become accustomed. I am often not "motivated" to go to the gym, just like on some mornings I'd like to just stay snuggled up in bed and sleep the day away. But, I get up and go to work and, afterward, I go to the gym. It's not motivation, it's determination and a recognition that if I don't, I'll revert to the person I once was and worked hard to move from.

It's not easy. If it was we wouldn't have gotten out of shape in the first place. If it was easy, we'd all have great bodies. Once you get started, and keep with it for a while, it becomes part of your routine and becomes harder to stop.

Find what you can do and enjoy doing. Then, it's not work, it's fun/enjoyable/not horrible/part of what you do.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you're a triathlete, maybe you need a race to look forward to. The physio + 5 km is one option, but there are great outdoor swimming races too you could work toward if that is more in line with your physical needs right now.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have multiple passwords related to fitness and my next race. The number of times I restate my commitment daily is infinite (almost!)
  • ironhajee
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Not "motivated" just determined. I kinda like the transformation my diet and exercise program has made. I kinda want to keep it. Therefore, I am determined to keep at it. I go to the gym like I go to work. I need to to keep the life and lifestyle I would like to become accustomed. I am often not "motivated" to go to the gym, just like on some mornings I'd like to just stay snuggled up in bed and sleep the day away. But, I get up and go to work and, afterward, I go to the gym. It's not motivation, it's determination and a recognition that if I don't, I'll revert to the person I once was and worked hard to move from.

It's not easy. If it was we wouldn't have gotten out of shape in the first place. If it was easy, we'd all have great bodies. Once you get started, and keep with it for a while, it becomes part of your routine and becomes harder to stop.

Find what you can do and enjoy doing. Then, it's not work, it's fun/enjoyable/not horrible/part of what you do.

Thanks for the advice! I've started doing that just slowly getting back into low intensity running for 20 minutes after work and gauging myself from there. I want that "determination" back because I dislike what has become of my health and physical appearance
  • ironhajee
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you're a triathlete, maybe you need a race to look forward to. The physio + 5 km is one option, but there are great outdoor swimming races too you could work toward if that is more in line with your physical needs right now.

Great point I think I do need some short and medium goals and objectives to get my azz back in line
  • rxspecta
    rxspecta Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    running inside on treadmill is easier on me then outside on the streets (though i like the fresh air so stay outside) may be it would help your back to ease back into running again, also stretch calves & thighs & quads every day & give the stretch effort & time. Also i watch videos on you tube of regular people snow skiing and then actual athletes doing moguls & racing etc. though amateur, and the training and workouts the amature athletes do is so obvious. How strong people are so much faster then the regular folks. Although everyone is having a blast, the folks who dont work out like a pro look kind of pathetic skills wise, not trying to be mean but it motivates me to get in to shape.
  • ThyPeace
    ThyPeace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There you go! Twenty minutes is awesome. Tie the laces and go out the door is the part to worn on. The rest will come with time and patience. And care -- no need to sideline yourself again by doing too much, too soon. Every time you go in before you want to is a little in the bank to make you want to go back out again the next time!

ThyPeace, my goal is a 5k when I'm 100.