Question regarding calorie deficit

2456

Replies

  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    I'm about that size and 60 minutes on a treadmill can burn 400 calories for me, but the important factor is the incline. 3 degrees, maybe not. 5 degrees, maybe so. 15 degrees, absolutely yes.


    The recommendations of your doctor are very good.

    The math of it is that you log your exercise along with your food. The food diary then tells you how many calories of food you've earned from exercising. So, when you finish a day in an 800 calorie deficit after accurately logging your food and exercise, you can know that you exceeded your wise weight loss goal for that day. Just try not to stack many consecutive weeks of those excessive calorie deficits together, as it is understood that at some point, we don't know when, your greater than 500 calorie deficit actually causes your metabolism to slow.

    Yeah I do 3mph at a 6 degree incline. Sometimes I even do 3.5 mph. I usually end up doing around 74 min total with warm up and cool down. So I just say 60 minutes.

    I get everything is an estimate, but when people tell me you can't burn that much in a hour by "walking" because they only burn such amount doing something else. I'm 5'3 and weigh 185 pounds. So at 3mph is like a brisk walk for me because I don't have a long stride. Plus with it inclined to 6 gets my heart rate up as well. I try to stay around 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate. I also have a elliptical and when I would get on it and do a hour my heart rate would be 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate and I would burn right around the same.

    Again I understand it's all a estimate and that's mainly why I don't eat back my exercise calories. But after sitting there and looking back on the last week I've only been netting 850 to 900 a day.

    I don't enter my workouts into MyFitnessPal it automatically does it so I just ignore that number.

    But I am going to make sure I start at least netting 1350 a day.

    Don't assume that you will burn more calories walking the same speed as someone else because you are short. Though you are putting in more steps than a taller person, you are holding your weight for a briefer period of time on each step. The end result is that you burn about the same amount of calories whether you take a lot of little steps or a few big steps to cover the same distance.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    I'm about that size and 60 minutes on a treadmill can burn 400 calories for me, but the important factor is the incline. 3 degrees, maybe not. 5 degrees, maybe so. 15 degrees, absolutely yes.


    The recommendations of your doctor are very good.

    The math of it is that you log your exercise along with your food. The food diary then tells you how many calories of food you've earned from exercising. So, when you finish a day in an 800 calorie deficit after accurately logging your food and exercise, you can know that you exceeded your wise weight loss goal for that day. Just try not to stack many consecutive weeks of those excessive calorie deficits together, as it is understood that at some point, we don't know when, your greater than 500 calorie deficit actually causes your metabolism to slow.

    Yeah I do 3mph at a 6 degree incline. Sometimes I even do 3.5 mph. I usually end up doing around 74 min total with warm up and cool down. So I just say 60 minutes.

    I get everything is an estimate, but when people tell me you can't burn that much in a hour by "walking" because they only burn such amount doing something else. I'm 5'3 and weigh 185 pounds. So at 3mph is like a brisk walk for me because I don't have a long stride. Plus with it inclined to 6 gets my heart rate up as well. I try to stay around 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate. I also have a elliptical and when I would get on it and do a hour my heart rate would be 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate and I would burn right around the same.

    Again I understand it's all a estimate and that's mainly why I don't eat back my exercise calories. But after sitting there and looking back on the last week I've only been netting 850 to 900 a day.

    I don't enter my workouts into MyFitnessPal it automatically does it so I just ignore that number.

    But I am going to make sure I start at least netting 1350 a day.

    Don't assume that you will burn more calories walking the same speed as someone else because you are short. Though you are putting in more steps than a taller person, you are holding your weight for a briefer period of time on each step. The end result is that you burn about the same amount of calories whether you take a lot of little steps or a few big steps to cover the same distance.

    That's not what I was saying. I was simply saying walking at 3mph is like a brisk walk for me. Not that I'm burning more calories than someone else
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    if she is truly burning 400 a day then that would leave her netting 950 calories a day ...

  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2017
    I kinda agree that 400 cals for 3 mph at 3 incline 70-75% heart rate for an hour is a bit ambitious number for you. Specially if you keep it steady. Even though I am more overweight than you, it takes me a lot of hauling *kitten* to get that number. Interval starting at 3-3.5 mph 3 to 15 incline and elevating my heart rate 80-89% for at least 20 minutes of that hour. So you could be overestimating a bit. Take it in consideration if you reach a plateau. Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    I'm about that size and 60 minutes on a treadmill can burn 400 calories for me, but the important factor is the incline. 3 degrees, maybe not. 5 degrees, maybe so. 15 degrees, absolutely yes.


    The recommendations of your doctor are very good.

    The math of it is that you log your exercise along with your food. The food diary then tells you how many calories of food you've earned from exercising. So, when you finish a day in an 800 calorie deficit after accurately logging your food and exercise, you can know that you exceeded your wise weight loss goal for that day. Just try not to stack many consecutive weeks of those excessive calorie deficits together, as it is understood that at some point, we don't know when, your greater than 500 calorie deficit actually causes your metabolism to slow.

    Yeah I do 3mph at a 6 degree incline. Sometimes I even do 3.5 mph. I usually end up doing around 74 min total with warm up and cool down. So I just say 60 minutes.

    I get everything is an estimate, but when people tell me you can't burn that much in a hour by "walking" because they only burn such amount doing something else. I'm 5'3 and weigh 185 pounds. So at 3mph is like a brisk walk for me because I don't have a long stride. Plus with it inclined to 6 gets my heart rate up as well. I try to stay around 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate. I also have a elliptical and when I would get on it and do a hour my heart rate would be 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate and I would burn right around the same.

    Again I understand it's all a estimate and that's mainly why I don't eat back my exercise calories. But after sitting there and looking back on the last week I've only been netting 850 to 900 a day.

    I don't enter my workouts into MyFitnessPal it automatically does it so I just ignore that number.

    But I am going to make sure I start at least netting 1350 a day.

    Don't assume that you will burn more calories walking the same speed as someone else because you are short. Though you are putting in more steps than a taller person, you are holding your weight for a briefer period of time on each step. The end result is that you burn about the same amount of calories whether you take a lot of little steps or a few big steps to cover the same distance.

    That's not what I was saying. I was simply saying walking at 3mph is like a brisk walk for me. Not that I'm burning more calories than someone else

    I misunderstood. In the calorie databases the walking activity makes a distinction between a leisurely walk and a brisk walk.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    Thank you. My Apple Watch separates my active calories from my total calories during each workout. Still not 100% sure why lol. It also doesn't monitor my heart rate at all times either. It takes it I think every 10 min.

    I did a test of my own today during my workout. I wore my Apple Watch with the HRM connected to it AND I wore my old Fitbit HR. My Apple Watch said I burned 225 calories during a 38 min walk at 3mph at a incline of 4 with my heart rate at 135 which is around 70% of my maximum heart rate. The Fitbit said I burned 295 calories. Fitbit said my heart rate was 130 yet I burned more calories. Steps wise they were both right around each other. pxlbz4a9y6g5.png

  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    1979 wrote: »
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    if she is truly burning 400 a day then that would leave her netting 950 calories a day ...

    And she would be really hungry I would think if her calories were really that low.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    if she is truly burning 400 a day then that would leave her netting 950 calories a day ...

    I feel like we need to remind people that there is a difference between the MFP Net and the actual net calories. The MFP Net ignores BMR, so a positive net is desirable. But our goal should be to have a net of zero if we are maintaining our weight and a negative net if we are trying to lose weight. The MFP Net has no meaning in relationship to health concerns.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    1979 wrote: »
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    if she is truly burning 400 a day then that would leave her netting 950 calories a day ...

    And she would be really hungry I would think if her calories were really that low.


    This was yesterday, and no I'm not terribly hungry. I have Crohns so I dont have much of a appetite in the first place.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?

    Yes I use a food scale when needed.

    So when I use a TDEE calculator it asks about my activity level. I'm mainly sedentary but I workout 7 days a week for at least an hour. Typically around 75 min with warm up and cool down. So do I still put sedentary no exercise/desk job or do i put in exercise 7 days a week?

  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?

    Yes I use a food scale when needed.

    So when I use a TDEE calculator it asks about my activity level. I'm mainly sedentary but I workout 7 days a week for at least an hour. Typically around 75 min with warm up and cool down. So do I still put sedentary no exercise/desk job or do i put in exercise 7 days a week?

    if you work out seven days a week you are not sedentary ...I would suggest using "active" ...are your workouts primarily walking, or do you also incorporate strength training?

  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Rather than arguing with how much the OP burns in an hour of walking (though I don't find it unreasonable - keep in mind she is walking at an incline which influences things; at 135 pounds and no incline I burn about 300 per hour walking at 4.0 which is a brisk pace for me) I want to point out one reason to discount the exercise calories a little. If you were not walking, you would have still burned thru 70-100 calories. That is already accounted for in your BMR, daily activity level.

    So listen to your doctor. Eat a minimum of 1350 calories per day, and feel free to eat some additional from your workout calories earned if you feel you need them.

    if she is truly burning 400 a day then that would leave her netting 950 calories a day ...

    I feel like we need to remind people that there is a difference between the MFP Net and the actual net calories. The MFP Net ignores BMR, so a positive net is desirable. But our goal should be to have a net of zero if we are maintaining our weight and a negative net if we are trying to lose weight. The MFP Net has no meaning in relationship to health concerns.

    sorry, but this is wrong.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?

    Yes I use a food scale when needed.

    So when I use a TDEE calculator it asks about my activity level. I'm mainly sedentary but I workout 7 days a week for at least an hour. Typically around 75 min with warm up and cool down. So do I still put sedentary no exercise/desk job or do i put in exercise 7 days a week?

    if you work out seven days a week you are not sedentary ...I would suggest using "active" ...are your workouts primarily walking, or do you also incorporate strength training?

    Right now just walking until my heart doctor clears me for more.

    This is what my numbers looked like yesterday (hopefully the image attaches). Lolm5vk2rnj5o8v.png


  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?

    Yes I use a food scale when needed.

    So when I use a TDEE calculator it asks about my activity level. I'm mainly sedentary but I workout 7 days a week for at least an hour. Typically around 75 min with warm up and cool down. So do I still put sedentary no exercise/desk job or do i put in exercise 7 days a week?

    if you work out seven days a week you are not sedentary ...I would suggest using "active" ...are your workouts primarily walking, or do you also incorporate strength training?

    Right now just walking until my heart doctor clears me for more.

    This is what my numbers looked like yesterday (hopefully the image attaches). Lolm5vk2rnj5o8v.png


    just glancing at that day you should really not be using "quick add" calories as that is not going to be accurate and I can't see how you logged dinner...

    I would suggest making sure that you are using correct MFP entries and logging everything as accurately as possible. Inaccurate logging can result in your calorie count being 30-50% HIGHER than expected.

    Based on what you posted, you really should of eaten at least half of your exercise calories.

    Have you been losing weight?

  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,897 Member
    alid8333 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    Wow I guess working out for a hour total with my heart rate around 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate isn't "sufficient" enough to burn. Since it's only
    walking at 3mph at a incline 6.

    I haven't been eating back any of my exercise calories since I started. So guess I'll just continue not to.

    I don't think you're understanding...all people are saying is that devices and machines and data bases, etc are all just estimations...nobody is saying that you're not burning calories...they're just telling you to be conservative as energy expenditure is difficult to estimate and often these devices over estimate. And like I said up thread, it's going to include your basal burn...so at minimum you would want to deduct that.

    All people are telling you is that it's an estimate, not gospel. That's it...there should always be an allowance for estimation error...I always just knocked off my basal calories which if I recall was about 20% or so.

    I understand what you're saying. What got me was people saying it wasn't possible because they only burned such amount of calories doing something else and it wasn't possible because I'm "just walking". 3mph is a brisk walk for me since I'm only 5'3 and I incline it to 6. Sometimes I walk at 3.5. I technically do a total time of around 74 to 75 min. But I just said 60 min because that 74 min includes 5 min of warm up and cool down and I don't really count that. I can get on my elliptical and do 5mph and my heart rate be at 70 to 75% for a hour and burn just as much as I did walking at 3mph at a incline of 6.

    But again I know it's all an estimate and that's mainly why I haven't been eating any of my exercise calories back for that simple fact.

    I just don't think it's right for someone to be like well I do a hour on this machine and I only burn this amount so it's not possible your burning that because your "Just walking". Everyone's body is different and people do workout at different levels.

    That's not what they're saying...400 calories of an hour of walking is quite a bit...it's not about "just walking"...I walk a lot in addition to many other things...a lot of people here have quite a bit of experience and in my personal experience, one would be hard pressed to burn 400 calories walking unless they were greatly overweight. Your height doesn't really matter...calorie burn is really mass moved over distance plus and intensity factor. People are just warning you not to overestimate is all....you're taking comments the wrong way.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I believe that your doctor was telling you to calculate TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract 500 calories from that, which would give you one pound per week loss. you can go to a TDEE calculator and do that and subtract 500 from that number (keep in mind this is not an exact number and you will need to make adjustments). OR you can just use MFP method, set MFP to one pound per week loss and make sure that you net the number that MFP gives to you. If you find you are not losing one pound per week, you may need to adjust your exercise burned number.

    Do you use a food scale to weigh foods?

    Yes I use a food scale when needed.

    So when I use a TDEE calculator it asks about my activity level. I'm mainly sedentary but I workout 7 days a week for at least an hour. Typically around 75 min with warm up and cool down. So do I still put sedentary no exercise/desk job or do i put in exercise 7 days a week?

    if you work out seven days a week you are not sedentary ...I would suggest using "active" ...are your workouts primarily walking, or do you also incorporate strength training?

    Right now just walking until my heart doctor clears me for more.

    This is what my numbers looked like yesterday (hopefully the image attaches). Lolm5vk2rnj5o8v.png


    just glancing at that day you should really not be using "quick add" calories as that is not going to be accurate and I can't see how you logged dinner...

    I would suggest making sure that you are using correct MFP entries and logging everything as accurately as possible. Inaccurate logging can result in your calorie count being 30-50% HIGHER than expected.

    Based on what you posted, you really should of eaten at least half of your exercise calories.

    Have you been losing weight?

    Quick add was because every time I tried to select what I needed yesterday to log for lunch the app would close out. So I just used the quick add to input it since the app wouldn't let me choose what I needed lol.

    I haven't been eating the calories burned back. I was going to starting today. But now I don't want to because everyone is saying my calorie burn is incorrect. My Polar chest strap that's connected to my Apple Watch says I typically burn little over 400 calories in a 75 min workout which consists of a warm up period of walking at 2mph for a little bit and then 60 min of walking at 3mph at a incline of 6 then a cool down of walking at 2mph. During the 60 min my heart rate is between 70 & 75% of my maximum heart rate. I know I need to atleast get to what the app says I need to a day (heart doc says 1350) But I set MyFitnessPal to sedentary and losing 1 pound a week today and it put me at 1390 a day. So I'm just going to aim for that.