Anyone Hungry At Bedtime?

Options
I've been eating a very strict diet and sticking to my calorie intake but just before bed I'm normally really hungry, I'll have a chamomile tea which sometimes help but I'm normally to hungry to sleep! Any tips on low calorie food to have before bed or an alternative?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meal in the evenings. Maybe that would work?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I used to be. I'm a late night dinner eater (usually at or past 8pm) and I also tend to be a late night snacker. I'm fairly certain it was all the late night snacking that brought me to MFP to begin with. When I started counting calories, I started learning about how some foods satiate me more than others. Proteins, fats and fiber are generally considered to be more satiating than carbs, so I started experimenting and figured out that if I eat a protein rich meal at breakfast, I'm far less likely to snack during the day. If I do the same for dinner, then my night time snacking decreases considerably.

So my suggestion to you would be to start by looking at how much protein, fat and fiber you're eating throughout the day. Everyone's different, so you might find that fats and/or fiber are more satiating for you than protein. Play around with your macros a bit until you figure out which one(s) keep you fuller for longer and then start eating more of those during the day and particularly at dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 8:30 and go to bed around 9:30, so no...
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner late. I have a snack around 4 and then eat at 7ish, bed at 8:30/9 with a cup of tea taken into the bedroom with me.

Just try pushing meals back later. It is perfectly okay to eat just before bed. I tend to eat breakfast 4-5 hours after I wake, sometimes more so everything can be later in the day to help me eliminate the desire for evening snacking. I drink a lot of water as well- best habit I've gotten into by far.
  • JessBarnes1991
    JessBarnes1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I'm going to try eat my dinner later as I tend to have my last meal at 18.30 so I shall try eating it at around 20.00 and hopefully it will work!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    100g of Fage 0% before bed should be enough to take the edge off your hunger whilst delivering valuable Caesin which is a slow release protein that'll help you'd muscles repair whilst you sleep. Happy Days. (or nights....)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also eat dinner late (no choice, I get home late), and am never hungry in the evenings, even when my dinner is quite small.
  • AutumnDancer26
    AutumnDancer26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, just be sure that you are eating enough calories in the day! Eating a later meal can help, but if your body needs more energy to function, then you'll end up being hungry either way. Also, Apple Cider Vinegar can really help with cravings; it's nasty at first, but you get used to it. Plus it does wonders for digestion.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Or rearrange your calories so you have room for a late snack. That's what I've done. I don't always eat it, but the allowance is there when I want it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    it was a hard habit to break for me, i was a late night snacker bad, but i just suffered through for a few nights, and now im not hungry at night anymore, i also found i like to eat later, like 630 or 7