Maintaining weight on horribly strict dietary restrictions....

Options
I am trying to not lose anymore weight due to my chronic pain condition and how it affects my eating however so far I seem to have been unsuccessful. Although I haven't weighed myself very recently I have been consistently losing weight since the issue started. I was hoping for some tips on trying to maintain the weight loss if it is diet related and not part of the core pain issue.

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're asking. what dietary restrictions do you have to work with?
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what the question is either. If you are trying to maintain your weight, but are still losing, you need to increase your calorie intake no matter what your dietary restrictions are. You will just have to eat more of the foods you are allowed to eat. It will be easier if you are able to eat calorie dense foods--full fat dairy, nuts or nut butters, etc. If not, I would try to break up the foods you are able to eat into small portions & try to eat them through the day even if you aren't hungry. Track your calories & try adding 100-200 additional per day for a week or two at a time until you reach a consistent plateau. Weight loss & gain will always be diet related but pain can definitely affect your appetite.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Have you tried those dietary supplement drinks/shakes like ensure? We've had to resort to those during my partner's flareups (Chron's) when he really can't have solid foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is your list of allowed foods shorter than your list of restrictions? Please share. Maybe we can come up with some creative presentation ideas.

I just made a new acquaintance whom I am pretty sure is a celiac. She polishes off a half dozen shortbread cookies at lunch.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What are you NOT able to eat?
  • cyvain
    cyvain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had spoken to my GP about dietary supplements shakes but there are so many stupid requirement rules around them I don't fit for those apparently. I can eat potato, rice, fish/seafood, tomato soup, bread and butter, crisps, biscuits, mushy peas, sweetcorn, onion, ice cream and sweets but not chocolate. I think that's it unless I forgot something which my memory is so crap I may have done. And since posting last I've lost even more I'm now down to 60kg.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    cyvain wrote: »
    I had spoken to my GP about dietary supplements shakes but there are so many stupid requirement rules around them I don't fit for those apparently. I can eat potato, rice, fish/seafood, tomato soup, bread and butter, crisps, biscuits, mushy peas, sweetcorn, onion, ice cream and sweets but not chocolate. I think that's it unless I forgot something which my memory is so crap I may have done. And since posting last I've lost even more I'm now down to 60kg.

What are you trying to avoid? That's an unusual list of "allowed" foods.

I'm not sure how you can't get sufficient calories eating those foods as many are calorie dense.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

So then I would just go ahead and eat more of the foods on your OK list. There are a lot of fairly high calorie items on that list. Just eat more of them. Weird list - I'm trying to figure out what all these things have in common (or I guess maybe the things in common that they don't have...)
  • cyvain
    cyvain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know the list is confusing it doesn't make sense to me myself, even the Dr's can't find a y thing physically wrong with me it's just a mystery chronic lower abdominal. Pain though they are saying being the the opiate based pain meds I have been on for so long isn't doing good me any good but it's gonna take forever to get off them. And it's not gonna be pleasant cuz I've been on such a high dose for so long now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are trying to keep from losing, right?
    Eat more fatty foods: ice cream, butter and biscuits. potatoes and butter,

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Have you met with a dietician? See if your doctor can refer you to one. They may be able to come up with some ideas. I also have a restricted diet, and autoimmune problems have caused me to eat a lot more than what MFP gave me. Slowly increase your calorie intake until you find that sweet spot.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Does this have to do with histamine intolerance? But then the tomato soup makes no sense.
    If this is a list your doctor gave you you should inquire more options. If this is a list which you came up with together with your doctor by eliminating foods which yo do not seem to handle well, then maybe you can slowly and carefully try completely different foods, maybe ones that are similar, and see if you can handle those.
    Potato-carrot soup, Sweet potatoes, the like.
    But generally you have some foods that offer you high carbs and fats, can get protein from the fish/seafood and peas, so you should be able to maintain your weight on this diet if you eat enough of it.