How long does it take to see weight loss?

Options
Been healthy eating/exercising for nearly 2weeks now and ive stepped on the scales but my weight has gone up??? Just wondering why? How long does it take to see weight loss? Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thanks to womens lovely hormones, it could be up to 4 weeks
  • aliemailconnect
    aliemailconnect Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's all a myth. Change your food or eat less. Weight should drop from week 1. You need to create calorie deficit. Work out your BMR and eat 300 cals less
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been at it since new year and have no weight loss. Maybe 2kg that only showed up on the 15th day but my scales seem to be broken so I can't even be sure of that. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to kick in
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It can take months to actively notice a change in the way you see yourself. I started out this time last year, I didn't weigh myself for the whole of January as I knew the scales wouldn't change and I didn't want to give up. I lost 35lbs last year, taking 6 months to get to my goal, but it was a couple of months before I could see things were heading in the right direction.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It's different for everybody and depends on a lot of factors like stress response from new routine, how much weight you have to lose, potentially losing fat at the same rate as building muscle, and how consistent/intense you are with nailing down your nutritional/exercise goals. Some people lose right away, and some people take some time before they see progress on the scale. Be sure to also be tracking body measurements. You can see a lot of improvements there with no change on the scale.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone for ur comments :)
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this - you may just have been unlucky with your weigh-in timings.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters#latest

I know that my cycle makes a big difference to my weight and if I didn't weigh myself everyday so I could see the fluctuations. It could be discouraging sometimes if you weigh when you're in an "up" period. My weight drops just before my period arrives, then jumps back up heaps (2-4lbs), then drops again about 5-7 days later. It's a repeating pattern every month. The trend is down, but it's a jagged path. Don't be discouraged and give it a bit more time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    When I'm consistent and honest with myself with what I'm doing it comes off right away. I usually put on a little weight from October through December and January is always kind of a reset and transitional period...it takes me a few weeks to get in the groove and tweak things out...I don't log, so it's more trial and error and then being more disciplined on weekends. Once I'm rolling though, I'm rolling.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For perspective, a gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. Maybe you were chronically dehydrated before deciding to lose weight. If you have really increased your activity level, you can also be putting on muscle mass faster than you're taking off fat mass. A very slight amount of the gain can also be from gaining bone density if you are lifting weights! There are so many variables, don't automatically assume things are bad if your gravitational attraction to the planet has increased. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It's all a myth. Change your food or eat less. Weight should drop from week 1. You need to create calorie deficit. Work out your BMR and eat 300 cals less

Nooooo.
    1. I'm not sure what's a myth here - but there's a lot of misinformation in this comment.
    2. It's not about magical foods - it is about the calories you eat
    3. Not everyone loses in the first week
    4. Okay calorie deficit is correct,
    5. DO NOT eat below your BMR. Eat above your BMR but below TDEE.
  • mostgenericwhitegirl
    Options
    Don't starve yourself, keep up the exercise for 15 extra minutes past what you intended, and give your body enough time to respond. You didn't gain it all in one month. You won't lose it all in one month.

Personally, I don't plan to weight myself until my clothes begin to fit different ly. I want to be pleasantly surprised next time I step on a scale.

About eight years ago I decided to begin working out 5 days a week, ate healthfully, slept as best I could... I dropped 100 pounds in 12 months. I never weighed myself more than once a month, though. Sometimes the scale can sabotage you.
  • mostgenericwhitegirl
    Options
    Also, over the past seven years, I've gained back 76 pounds (funny how pregnancy gives me an excuse to stop good habits and eat garbage). So I'm starting over again. 76 pounds before my 40th birthday.... It's doable.
  • DaveDR7
    DaveDR7 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I apologise to Sarah for asking a question on her post. Tavistock Toad seems to be pretty switched on and clued up.
    But why shouldn't you eat calories below your BMR?
    I'm 52, 250lb and doing the Insanity Programme (well to my ability not Shaun's).
    I'm burning anywhere between 450 -1100 calories daily exercising, but if my BMR is 2000 calories and I eat only 1300 calories some days, just don't feel hungry, especially after a high carb meal.
    So is this a major issue and if you burn a load of Calories, let's say 2600 calories in a day and only intake say 1800 calories, is this actually harmful to you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    DaveDR7 wrote: »
    I apologise to Sarah for asking a question on her post. Tavistock Toad seems to be pretty switched on and clued up.
    But why shouldn't you eat calories below your BMR?
    I'm 52, 250lb and doing the Insanity Programme (well to my ability not Shaun's).
    I'm burning anywhere between 450 -1100 calories daily exercising, but if my BMR is 2000 calories and I eat only 1300 calories some days, just don't feel hungry, especially after a high carb meal.
    So is this a major issue and if you burn a load of Calories, let's say 2600 calories in a day and only intake say 1800 calories, is this actually harmful to you?

Your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing...like you're in a coma all day...then you have your day to day stuff...and then exercise. Properly fueling your body is important. Underfeeding will ultimately lead to recovery issues and likely injury...not to mention your performance will suffer and your fitness gains will be hampered.

Beyond that, one should provide the body with enough energy (calories) to perform basic functions. There are so many posts here about people losing hair...hair turning brittle...nails turning brittle...females losing menstrual cycles, etc all because of consistent underfeeding. When the body doesn't receive adequate energy (calories) it will start slowing and/or shutting down "non essential" functions.

That said, how are you arriving at 1100 calorie burns? That's about 30 miles or so on the bike for me...which is something I do, but certainly not an every day occurrence.