Five Guys veggie sandwich

Options
So I have no illusion that the Five Guys veggie sandwich is health food but can someone explain to me how it is 530 calories? ? I mean...what on earth do they DO to the things? It's grilled vegetables on a bun with cheese. Again...not super healthy but ugh

Don't mind me..just frustrated lol

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Cheese, oil to grill the vegetables, and the bun
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The bun is also probably buttered in addition to the oil and cheese.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are not vegetarian, why not get a burger with no bun in a bowl with veggies on top? The double patties are 440 calories and 32 g protein. Veggies are low cal as always.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are not vegetarian, why not get a burger with no bun in a bowl with veggies on top? The double patties are 440 calories and 32 g protein. Veggies are low cal as always.
    Oh I know I have options but today that's what I wanted. I was just shocked at that calorie count. I still am not sure it's right
  • CindyFooWho
    Options
    Cheese, oil to grill the vegetables, and the bun

Yeah probably crazy oil.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    In-N-Out's grilled cheese is 380. Five Guys does have bigger buns though, and with sesame seeds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's perfectly healthy...healthy has nothing to do with caloric density...there's nothing inherently unhealthy about bread, veggies, and some dietary fat. Bread for one tends to be high calorie. I'm sure they used oil to grill the veggies...cheese is fine, but also pretty high calorie. 530 seems completely reasonable to me for a sandwich...most of my homemade sandwiches will clock in right around there.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's a sandwich with bread and oil on the veg?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Love Five Guys <3 I always get a grilled cheese sandwich with mayo, tomato and onion. I figure with a shared order of fries I've got to be close to 1,000 calories for the meal so I go by that and call it good lol. It's actually probably higher than that but we only go 3-4 times a year and it doesn't affected my weight so good enough :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can always cut the sandwich in half and eat it the next day--twice the deliciousness!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Their buns are high calorie. I had a little cheeseburger there and was astonished at how many calories the bun alone was.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's probably fat. The bun is likely oiled and grilled or buttered. Lots of fat in marinade for veggies and oil to grill and the cheese. Oil and butter add up fast.... I hear your frustration! That's a killer lol. But was it good?!?! Sometimes it's worth the calories!!
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What veggies are you adding that would have oil added? I get the fresh onions and tomato and can't imagine they're prepping these in oil?

eta never mind, see that OP is getting grilled veggies-didn't even know that was an option there!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    lol I'm vegetarian and I'd never get that thing looks sad AF. It's not meant to be healthy it's just suppose to appeal to vegetarians...somehow?
  • CindyFooWho
    Options
    Again I never for ONCE believed it was healthy or low cal. It's just amazing to me how certain restaurants can't offer anything with a reasonable calorie count. I know I could make that at home for half the cals.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Again I never for ONCE believed it was healthy or low cal. It's just amazing to me how certain restaurants can't offer anything with a reasonable calorie count. I know I could make that at home for half the cals.

I hear ya... all those cals... for VEGGIES! Chicken parm maybe ... but grilled veggies?!? Lol. I have often thought that.... half the cals and a quarter the price! Lol. It's. Ice when they include a few lighter options in the menu.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    lol I'm vegetarian and I'd never get that thing looks sad AF. It's not meant to be healthy it's just suppose to appeal to vegetarians...somehow?

I'm not a vegetarian but I order meatless options all the time from restaurants? I can't see a pic of what OP ordered but the grilled cheese and veggie sandwich I get there looks and tastes amazing :)
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

I'm not a vegetarian but I order meatless options all the time from restaurants? I can't see a pic of what OP ordered but the grilled cheese and veggie sandwich I get there looks and tastes amazing :)

I've been there the veggie sandwich is basically a burger without the patty. It's sad.

• littlechiaseed
    Options

I've ordered a child's plate many times because it's a more reasonable portion. P.much if you want to eat low cal order kids menu or eat at home.