A few things I've learned..

Options
Here are some things I’ve learned along this “lifestyle change” journey…..
If it goes in your mouth, LOG IT!

If you’re eating something and don’t know the brand, don’t log the lowest calorie food you can find. You’ll set yourself up for disaster.

Measure EVERYTHING! Chances are your eyeball measurements are way off! A bowl of cereal does not equal a cup! ;) Since I’m the only one in the household who eats “my cereal,” I measure out the servings and separate them into baggies so when I’m ready for cereal I just pull out a baggie and know I’m not going over the appropriate serving size.

Invest in a reliable heart rate monitor with a chest strap so you have a better idea of how many calories you’re burning. Machines and MFP tend to be way off.

Don’t lie on your diary entries. No one cares if you’re over or under for the day. You’re only lying to and hurting yourself. If you feel guilty about putting it in your diary maybe you shouldn’t be eating it.

Make time to exercise daily. No one should be using the excuse, “I don’t have time.” Do squats or run in place while you’re cooking dinner or blow drying your hair.

Set small goals for yourself, you won’t get discouraged as easily.

Be nice to your body, drink plenty of water.

Some friends will be there to offer support others will just try to derail you. Try not to let these unsupportive people bother you. Chances are they are just jealous because they are unhappy about the lifestyle they chose.

Don’t get discouraged, you might not lose weight every week. You may even occasionally gain weight but regardless you’re on the path to a healthier lifestyle.

Take progress photos so you can see the difference in yourself. It’s so easy to look in the mirror and see your “old self.” These pictures can also be very motivating!

With a little support from friends, healthy eating and daily exercise, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Replies

• MsMadmagic
    MsMadmagic Posts: 66
    Options
    Here Here :bigsmile:
  • FluffyLadii
    FluffyLadii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great advice
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I fully endorse this post! Well said =)
  • Ashley395
    Ashley395 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So true- thank you for this post!!
  • Christinemary6
    Christinemary6 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well said and all good! Thank you!
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ......and find 20 min. a day and listen to a guided meditation CD for wellness, focus and relaxation.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're SO right!!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice!! Great pointers!. Overestimating on calories (if you are unsure of the calorie content) and underestimating on exercise (if you are unsure of calories burned) is very smart and will set you up for success.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. These are great points!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I’m the only one in the household who eats “my cereal,” I measure out the servings and separate them into baggies so when I’m ready for cereal I just pull out a baggie and know I’m not going over the appropriate serving size.

Amen to this whole post!

I quoted the above b/c I can't do this ... I don't eat it fast enough before it goes stale and I HATE stale cereal ... but I have another trick I use. I always eat my cereal out of the same kind of bowl - one that has a design. I measured it twice dry and noted where it went to, then added my milk and again noted where it measured to. Now I can pour my fresh cereal and my milk w/out measuring everytime and know that it's correct. Just thought someone else might benefit from that trick too! :)
  • MarisaJean82
    Options
    The cereal thing is so true...for my Kashi cereal the serving size is 28 biscuits so I count out 28, Nathan always laughs at me! :-)