Greek yogurt

Options
ksmommy5
ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Never tried it before. Throw out some ideas on how I can eat this stuff besides tossing it in my smoothies.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I usually just add a bit of honey. But sometimes I'll mix it up and add berries and/or granola.
  • emmyloull
    emmyloull Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add chia seed to mine
  • linda212121
    linda212121 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi I add chia seeds or ground flaxseed. I have finally found one called Green Mountain that I love and it's plain thou adding honey
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take 100 g fat free Greek yog 18 G protein and add a scoop of kazein whey protein powder. Mix really well u can barely tell it's in there it just gets sweeter and thicker. I then add 1/4 cup defrosted raspberries And half tbsp chia seeds. I call it protein pudding. About 50grams of protein!! If you don't like raspberries you can add vanilla and a squeeze or two of lemon juice for more of a lemon putting taste or cocoa powder for chocolate
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love Greek yougurt mmmmm! My new favorite recipe is baked apples (either chop an apple and bake in the oven or cook in microwave until slightly soft). Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 tsp slice almonds. Sometimes I add 1 tsp ground flaxseeds on top. I then add 1 tsp of Greek yogurt on top. It satisfies my sweet tooth and the cold yogurt tastes yummy mixed with the warm, baked apples mmm.

I use it to marinate my chickens and make a yogurt-parm baked chicken that is delish (lots of recipes online). I make yogurt and fruit parfaits. I also use it as a swap for any recipe that calls for sour cream. Love it on my tacos, taco salads and on top of chili mm! I make salad dressings and also use it for creamy soups and pasta sauces that call for heavy cream. Greek yogurt is very versatile!
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of sour cream on baked potatoes. For breakfast, I mix 1/2 cup yogurt (or one small container), 1/4 blueberries and 1/4 cup Grape Nuts.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    cocoa power, My Protein flavor drops, peanut butter powder, fruit...put things in it that don't break the calorie bank :)
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    - Greek yogurt and tahini dressing for salads
    - Mix in a few teaspoons of peanut butter and a teaspoon of honey to a 1/2 cup of yoghurt, use it as a dip for apples, carrots or pita chips
    - This high protein 'cookie dough' dip (I haven't tried it yet but it looks fabulous): thebigmansworld.com/2016/08/26/healthy-low-carb-cookie-dough-dip-one/
    - Use it in egg salads instead of mayo
    - Use it as a topper instead of sour cream
    - Use it to replace some of the oil in baking
    - Try savoury yoghurt - instead of topping it with fruit, top it with sauteed vegetables.
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating it, I sort of hated it. But it was the only thing I could find that was easy and had a lot of protein for the morning.

Started out adding fruit to it (bananas, strawberries, raspberries) and discovered I really liked tossing frozen berries into it. Also added some granola and chia seed or flax seed or both.

Now sometimes I'll still add fruit, and sometimes add the granola or seeds, and sometimes just eat it plain. I eat the 2% Fage plain yogurt. I found that brand to have the lowest sugar/highest protein of the ones available locally.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Someone on here suggested crumbling one oreo into a serving.
    Tried it, it was good
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I usually mix in some protein powder or pb2 and whatever fruit is in season (usually pomegranate or tangerines) and some crunch (either granola or slivered almonds). Sometimes topped with craisins.

I'll use it to replace a portion of the mayo in tuna or egg salad.
    Use it in place of coconut milk in curries.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use full fat Greek yogurt with berries or cherries for breakfast sometimes. I don't actually like yogurt but it works with the fruit. When I cook lamb I sometimes mix Greek yogurt with a bit of feta and cumin as a sauce. And I've also used it as a sour cream substitute. In the past I experimented with using it as a mayo substitute but didn't find it satisfactory. Also, I prefer to make my own mayo as it's much more healthy and tasty than anything you can get in the grocery.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    I made a from-scratch carrot-leek soup for lunch today, and tossed in about 1/2c of plain yogurt rather than using cream or other dairy.

I keep plain, full-fat (or sometimes low fat, but never no-fat) greek yogurt on hand for a lot of recipe uses ... as folks above have posted: anyplace mayo might be used (including in deli-style macaroni salad or cole slaw, chicken salad/egg salad), salad dressings (with some buttermilk, to make ranch-style), marinades (good esp. with lemon or lime - also whipped with curry or garam masala to coat chicken before baking), etc.

When I get towards the bottom of the container, I toss in some apples or bananas and have it as lunch.

I bake a lot of no-knead yeast bread, and have tinkered the recipes with added yogurt - the jury is still out on these efforts, however (practice will make perfect I hope).

It's versatile stuff.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    My newest favorite way to eat greek yogurt is to mix powdered cheddar cheese into it (I use King Arthur Flour Vermont powdered cheddar, but I imagine any powdered cheese you like would work). A very tasty protein treat. One time, I cooked some elbow macaroni and dumped the yogurt-cheese mix on it. Usually I don't care that much for macaroni and cheese that isn't made from scratch (white sauce + grated cheese + a little dry mustard) and then baked until you get the top starts to brown, but the yogurt-cheese mix was pretty damn good even without being baked.
  • Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Love Greek yoghurt with berries, toasted almonds, crushed up meringue.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always use full fat Greek Yoghurt, obv higher in cals but fills you up longer and less sugar than low fat versions. I tend to mix mine with porridge oats then add toppings (such as banana, chia seeds, honey, blueberries, almonds etc) then mix it all together and refrigerate. All ready to go to work the next day for lunch. You can also get quite a few diff flavours of Green Yoghurt, I have Rhubarb and Fiery Ginger atm!
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I add raw oatmeal or oatbran with cinnamon and vanilla, sometimes with a dab of molasses or brown sugar. Also pureed strawberries or peaches. Today I added peach preserves, cinnamon and a couple of tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs to make peach cobbler flavor. My absolute favorite is Fage with Ritz crackers and raspberry jam!
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sometimes mix in some Grape Nuts cereal as a change of pace from as-is. Give some whole grains and fiber to the nice protein in the Greek yogurts.