Accuracy of my heart monitor watch?

Options
I recently purchased a heart monitor watch which has a pedo/ calorie count option as well. How accurate are the calories counted if I am not able to program my height or weight? Are these not strong factors when it comes to counting calories? This mornings bikeride to work says I burned 8 cals..but this site says 80? I also notice if I take the watch off it continues to count calories and just adds one every 60 seconds...strange? This was no cheap watch either!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    What model/brand, does it have a chest strap. It seems if its not getting height or weight, it wouldnt be accurate at all.
  • allaboutty
    allaboutty Posts: 13
    Options
    I had one like this and I returned it. I've found that if you don't have an actual heart rate monitor for your chest, it isn't very accurate
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Without height and weight how would it formulate a basis to calculate? Also, the HRM's with chest straps are the way to go for an accurate reading. Which brand/model do you have?
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There is an equation you can use to calculate your calorie burned based on your average heart rate during an activity. I use my HRM to give me my AHR and then use the equation (which takes weight and age into consideration) to determine how many calories I burned.
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Garmin 305 w/chestband a couple years ago when doing a lot of running and have found the chest band to be accurate. I doubt some of the watches that work off of a pulse on your wrist, no real reason, just doubt them. I have found with walking/running etc the amount of calories burned is fairly close to what MFP gives you when entering your time. My goal is to get a foot pod (attach to runner, use on bikes) so I can tell how many kms I have ridden on the stationary bikes.
  • freebird240
    freebird240 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dang really.... so best if purchase the one for the chest... i have a new balance watch.. seems to work ok.. but seems like its either not enough or too much.. but i always check my heart rate on it..
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Speaking of accuracy, I am looking to purchase something to keep a more accurate picture of my calories burned during a workout. Any opinions on whether buying a bodymedia fit over a good HRM is worth the extra expense?