Homemade Recipes

Options
How do you calculate the calories in something when you make it homemade? I am trying to get away from processed food so I have started making a lot of my snacks and other things.

Replies

• jenbaucoin
    jenbaucoin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would weigh/measure each individual item and enter it in MFP. After you're all done, save it as a meal.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    If you go to food here there is a place to enter in recipes manually...it's totally worth it!
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It seems to me that it is way healthier to make your own things!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Much healthier and often cheaper too!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i use the recipe builder for everything. even if i deviate from a recipe, its not by enough to make significant difference.

weigh out everything.
    cook
    divide into number of servings
    done
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is a must use tool if you do any of your own cooking. It can be a little challenging at first but just keep using it. It really takes me no time at all to log recipes now. Easy peasy.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Helpful hint from someone on here in the past to help with the Recipe Builder... I weighed my pots & dishes empty and wrote down those weights (in grams is easier) in a little notebook that I keep in the kitchen with the calculator on my phone and my scale. While I'm cooking I jot down and enter in MFP. When the dish is cooked, I weigh the whole dish (pot and all), subtract the weight of the pot, then divide by the number of servings. I enter the serving weight either in my notebook or a sticky that I put on the leftovers. Also, if you find a recipe online, you can just copy the recipe link and paste it in the Recipe Importer. You usually have to clean up the ingredients a bit.

You can just log the recipe into your diary. I cook a lot and my family (watching calories also) know how many calories they are eating. It seems like a lot of trouble but I have a few go-to recipes that I use over and over or I might just have to go in a tweak an ingredient if I change it.
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder is great for batch cooking too. I split the recipe it's how many servings I plan to make out of it. Then I don't worry too much about individual serving sizes. Since I'll eat the entire thing anyway, over the week the total calories will be the same.

It's just when my boyfriend walks in and see what I'm cooking and wants some. Then it get's trickier!