Help, I can't overcome the sweets cravings!

Options
I am having a really hard time controlling my sweets consumption lately. I am an emotional eater and work is stressful/unhappy for me right now. There is also a difficult situation at home with my 25 yo son and husband in a conflict that is stressing me out. I am really off track. Can you give me ideas on how to get past this and back to my careful logging?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling stressed I don't hesitate to go to maintenance calories, but I try to stick with nutrient dense food. I don't eat sweet treats to comfort myself because I am very likely to overdo it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm satisfied with smaller portions of darker less sweet chocolate than milk chocolate or other sweeter chocolates. It can be a big jump from Hershey's to a 70% or 80% dark chocolate though. I slowly ramped up from milk chocolate to the lighter dark chocolates, starting with either 50% or 60% until I was happy with 85%. I've actually dropped down to 70% because there's a really nice option with a touch of sea salt in it that they don't make any darker than that. But as long as I stay at 70% or higher, I have no problems keeping to small portions of chocolate and I can therefore eat chocolate every day.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Medjool dates? They are so sweet and fudgy in texture that they tend to hit my 'sweet' spot so to speak. Obviously you'll need to account for the calories but four dates count as one of your five a day fruit/veg portions. Also good quality, high percentage chocolate is great. Let a small piece melt at the back of your tongue to get the full cocoa hit!

Best of luck! :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    kandisn7 wrote: »
    I make a healthy brownie almost every night, and knowing all day that I have that to look forward to keeps my sweet tooth under control. It's 1tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1tbsp raw honey, 1tbsp water, a splash of vanilla extract, and some sea salt. Microwave all for 40 seconds.

That sounds good for digestion also. Coconut oil tends to settle that gnawing feeling in my stomach at night.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    In having trouble lately too with sweets. Not stressed out, just a sugar addict and every so often it gets out of hand and I have to reign it back in again. Story of my life. Choosing fruit instead of things with sugar helps.
  • cowgrl08642
    cowgrl08642 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey on sugar - it is addictive and the only way to beat the addiction is to kick it out of your life! Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM or watch Fed Up on Netflix. Good luck!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut all sweets because I have no control (I can't do the one treat at the end of the day idea). I have some type of fruit in the evening, currently sectioning out 1-2 grapefruits in a dish and that seems to do it. But it's hard in the beginning. Keep looking at your patterns and try and avert (read/go for a walk/ create something) etc.
  • debbiemuz
    debbiemuz Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dark chocolate and eating a treat at the end of the day suggestions. Also:
    1. I drink hot tea (with splenda/sucrose instead of sugar) to get the sweet w/o the calories. I have a combo of caf for the day and decaf for night in all different flavors. Peppermint, cinnamon and vanilla are sweeter. There are even chocolate ones (although I'm still looking for a great chocolate one).
    2. Red seedless grapes are my new go-to fruit. They're low calorie and even a half cup satisfies my sweet craving for a while.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I find that cinnamon toast crunch cereal is enough for me when I want something sweet. I have a serving of that and 3oz of 1% milk.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the latest research, but I really think sugar can be an addiction. Like many addictions, you turn to whatever "drug" makes you feel better. Sounds like you are turning to sugar to compensate for the recent troubles in your life.

If you don't buy sweets, they won't be in the house. But, if you have to buy sweets, then maybe you can buy those 100 calorie pack cookies. Or, items sweetened with Splenda. What about that powder you can put in water? I think it's called crystal light. Add it to sparkling water? Frozen fruit? Jello has a sugar free pudding that is really good. Comes in chocolate too! Frozen popsicles?

Either way, if sugar has been your go-to for stressful situations, it's very similar to an addiction. You can't just instantly stop, especially if you have other pressures that make it difficult. Ease back on what you consume and try to substitute with healthier alternatives (like the options above).

Then, start focusing on yourself. How to manage your emotions better. I recommend reading online about stuff like that.

too bad they don't sell those snack packs individually...noooo, they have to have them in a box of 20 or so
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict as well. So this works for me:
    - limit amount of sweets available at home
    - wait for my treat time until after dinner, because if i start early, it's going downhill too often and harder to control for me
    - drink plenty of water, hot or cold tea, coffee. I noticed that it helps with those cravings as well as feeling hungry, when in reality I'm just bored or thirsty
    - dark chocolate is great,very satisfying, even in small amounts
    - brush up for the night after reasonable snack to stop it completely
    - keep busy, exercise to get endorphins' release from it, rather than from food
    In your situation, op, stress is so difficult to deal with. I sympathize you with the issues at home, it's hard to watch that unfold and be part of it, even inactive. But they are people you love and your closest family, so double whammy. Plus work stress. Do the best you can, take care of yourself, maybe do a little something extra for you that makes you happy, whether it's a favorite workout, shopping trip, nice walk, new book, favorite tv show, trip to the movie theater. Good luck, hope it gets better really soon.
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry work and home has been stressful. That is tough, where is the break from stress? I stumbled upon the Headspace app months ago and it has been a game changer for me in the stress department. It teaches mindfulness in nice little 10 minute chunks. While it is good to focus on food, don't forget to take care of the space between your ears!
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, I was eating remarkable amounts of sweets and telling myself it was not my fault, it is so hard to break sugar, it is addictive, etc. Then I stopped telling myself that and started telling myself it was an excuse. I was giving myself permission to eat that way and to feel like crap for it instead of owning up to my own wellbeing and placing blame.

I went cold turkey off sugar for 2 weeks and now will tell myself I am in control of what I eat. Sugar does not make me addicted, I can have one piece of chocolate and stop, this is in my head. Two days ago I had a Hersey's kiss. Just one. I was fine. I am still fine.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am in the thick of it with stress and right there with you OP.

Good Luck to you! We can do it.