Storing pre ground flax seeds.

Options
My coffee grinder broke so i cant gring my flax seeds. I will be getting a new one in a few weeks. My daughter gave me her bag of pre grounded flax she kept them in the fridge. Should they be just kept in fridge or freezer.

Thanks

Replies

• cowgrl08642
    cowgrl08642 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the freezer - typically in a sealed mason jar.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yep, Mason jar in the freezer
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I keep them in a sealed jar in the fridge. They never went bad.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hmnm I bought a bag of preground in the pantry section of the grocery. I have kept them in my pantry. Is there something I am missing? Is this to keep fresh? It's food safety issue? Now I am concerned....
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hmnm I bought a bag of preground in the pantry section of the grocery. I have kept them in my pantry. Is there something I am missing? Is this to keep fresh? It's food safety issue? Now I am concerned....

My understanding is that the omega oils are less stable at room temperature, so the flax meal retains more nutritional benefit by being refrigerated - I store mine in air tight container in the fridge.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yup. Freezer, helps it not go rancid.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

When you grind it, the fat (oil) is more exposed to air, and hence more likely to become oxidized (that is, go rancid). I don't think it's a food safety issue so much as a taste issue, and possible degradation of some nutrients. Keeping the ground flaxseed in the refrigerator or freeze will slow the oxidation process. Keeping it in the dark and eliminating as much air as possible from the container also slow oxidation. I just keep mine in the refrigerator in the original (opaque) bag, rolled down & resealed to eliminate as much air as possible, and then inside another (transparent) air tight bag (like a zip-lock quart or gallon plastic bag. Same with whole grain flours and nut meals. I've never had any of them go rancid on me.