64 yrs old,bad knees,need friends

Options
I'm looking for some friends to motivate me and give me advice on exercises for people with bad knees. I need to lose about 40 lbs. Please friend me!!!!!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosey! I need friends too!
  • AliceBJack216
    AliceBJack216 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosey. Just joined MFP today after 1st meeting with nutritionist yesterday. Finally motivated. Same here: bad knees, leg pain, 70# to lose. Will be 67 next month. Would love to be a motivation buddy for each other. Thanks for posting.
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been off the wagon during the holidays but am jumping back on. This video inspired me to try DDP Yoga - you can start off at a very easy pace and my knees aren't great (have had knee surgery after a car accident) and I can manage all right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448 I'm 56.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosetta. You can do this there are lots of things you can do tha don't involve your knees, there's usually a way around these issues. Stick with it day in day out, don't be impatient it's a lifelong process. Good luck
  • chickpeas62
    chickpeas62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting that video mamasnooz89 I'm going to try the yoga program, have a few injuries so it looks like it will be very good for me
  • gary5654
    gary5654 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm also 64 yrs old, knees not that bad but I weigh 330 lbs. Been using MFP for a few weeks now and it does help. Also got hooked into a community event where a group of about 16 people have joined together to raise money for kids reading programs and swimming classes. I started almost two weeks ago and on the first weigh in was down 9.3 lbs. I don't think this week will be as good as the first but will get weighed Monday evening. I would be interested in finding new friends also in the same boat. Need to find some good meal choices and foods that are low in fat.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Four years ago at age 65 and 376# I learned that my knees/ankles couldn't take floor aerobics. I joined WWers and started doing water aerobics.

I have lost -149# and still do water aerobics 4X. a week plus now I'm swimming laps for 1/2 mile before class.

I had arthroscopic knee surgery last September but still lost 36# in 2016. I walked a mile last week and the knee was fine.

I highly recommend water aerobics for exercise.
  • greatdanefan
    greatdanefan Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Same here - 57, left knee needs replacing, right ankle fused, so walking/running is not an option. I bought a resistance chair - (a Flex Force which can be seen on YouTube) This is a really good piece of equipment. It's beefy, sturdy and designed well for those of us who are not "lightweights"! Be cautious of the ones that look like card table chairs - they don't appear to be made for those of us with extra padding :)

For those that don't want to buy equipment, a good sturdy chair, a set of resistance bands and a little YouTube research can unearth a multitude of seated workouts that are kinder to the joints.

I love the idea of water aerobics, but you wouldn't catch me dead in public in a swimsuit!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    my knees hurt too. but of course I do too much and can never say no to my cardio!, go go go, its a fab high!